General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

PLEASE HELP!!! When the key is turned i lose all power!!! My Daily Driver!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation PLEASE HELP!!! When the key is turned i lose all power!!! My Daily Driver!!

So i daily drive a 1999 Camaro with full bolt ons, it runs pretty good with minimal issues. I drove the car home from work yesterday and parked it in the driveway as always.

When i woke up this awful morning (i work at Best Buy and have to wake up for 2am!!) i got in my car and everything was fine, the dome lights turned on. i put the key in the ignition and it did its diiinnggg diiinnggg diiinnggg thing... as soon as i moved the key forward, not even to the next position yet, ALL of the power cut off with a very faint kind of click noise. when i got home today (I'm lucky to be alive) i tried it again with the EXACT same scenario.

i have a professional battery tester and it was 95% healthy...

PLEASE HELP!! WHAT COULD THIS BE??
Old 11-27-2010, 01:25 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That security stuff......VATS maybe.....

But also those resistors in the key itself wears out and won't make the connection......try a new one from the dealer parts department. They need your VIN to make you a new one, bring the key too. Might be that easy........

Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 AM
On The Tree

i will try this tomorrow before another crazy day of work..
Old 11-27-2010, 03:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
That security stuff......VATS maybe.....

But also those resistors in the key itself wears out and won't make the connection......try a new one from the dealer parts department. They need your VIN to make you a new one, bring the key too. Might be that easy........

What does that have to do with the entire car going dead? Since when does the security in the car have the authority to kill all power in the car

OP, try the simple stuff first, like battery connections. Don't just look at them, but pull them off and inspect them good.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be a bad ground, loose connections. check the simple stuff
Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm thinking grounds also. You tested your battery, but did you check your cable connections? Off hand I can't think of anything else that would make a car just quit like you described...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

what connections should i check?
Old 11-27-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

I had an identical problem and it was the battery connectors. Take them off, look for corrosion or pitting and put them back on tight. Grab a meter and ohm the ground from the battery to the block and body and make sure its good. Chances are you have a bad ground like I did (ground on battery was 1/4 loose)
Old 11-27-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was your VATS(Vehicle Anti Theft System) Your dash lights would of came on, and when you turned the key, it would of made that Ding ding ding sound but the car wouldnt of started, and the red Security light would of been on. Sounds like a bad/dirty or loose battery cable to me. The cables have to be on there nice and tight or the current wont flow through properly and your power will just shut off.