General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ls1 Rebuild Failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Rebuild Failure

So i just rebuilt my ls1 because i bought it for $2000 with a bent rod. I replaced all the bearings, piston rings, 1 new piston/rod and all new gm high performance gaskets. I used engine assmebly lube on the bearings not lithium grease. I put royal purple 5w-30 in stupidly. So i drained it and put 10w-30 break in oil and its smoking really bad still. It is white smoke and smells like burning oil. It burned 2 quarts of oil in 5 miles on oil and there is oil coming out of the exhaust. On a cold start it doesnt smoke quit that bad, but as soon as i rev it to 1500 rpm it fills the entire neighborhood up with smoke. It even pours through the interior air vents and fills the car up. I am completly stumped... If anyone could give me any ideas as to what to do from here i would really appreciate it..
Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Launching!

sounds like you got a bad engine there buddy. Pull it apart and inspect everything.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Yeah apparently the engine is bad lol.
But what could be bad if everything is brand new?

Last edited by poseidon; 11-28-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

did you space the piston rings right did you hone it when you put new rings in it
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Teching In

No i did not hone it. And i forgot to double check if the rings were staggered. I am hoping that is my problem and not something else major.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Well oil is entering the chamber through the rings or valve seals most likely. My vote is rings bc of the large amount of oil consumption. What exactly did you do with the rings and bores during the rebuild?

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 11-30-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like rings to me
Old 11-29-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever done a motor rebuild before? Things like honing the cylinders are pretty standard things to do when rebuilding an engine. Also making sure the rings are spaced right is another "no brainer".

I'm just curious why you would go through all the work if you didn't really know how to rebuild a motor? Or at least get a manual or dvd on how to do it. They are cheap enough and would have saved a ton of extra work.

Having said that, I agree that it is probably because you didn't hone the cylinders. Although if you are really going through that much oil I'm not even sure honing will help that much. Did you look at the cylinder walls? I bet they are gouged pretty bad for you to be burning all that oil. 2 quarts of oil in 5 miles is crazy.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Probally bore and rings! I bet you have other issues like bad valve seals too! Bore size is very important in a rebuild, if its not truely round the rings will not seal, you will also have issues if the cylinders are to large, smooth like glass, or have scrathes in them other the honing marks. Your bound to have sevral issue's from what you have described. Not trying to bag on you but if your not sure always seek proffesional advise. I am far from a pro but I have learned alot doing things the hard way from bad advice and waisting lots of dollars...

For that kinda money you could have got a new long block. 2k plus the other new parts... It still amazes me what people will pay for a used LS1. They haven't used them in a production car in like 6 years...

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 11-29-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

this should also be posted in the engine section not chassis and susspension
Old 11-29-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Probally bore and rings! I bet you have other issues like bad valve seals too! Bore size is very important in a rebuild, if its not truely round the rings will not seal, you will also have issues if the cylinders are to large, smooth like glass, or have scrathes in them other the honing marks. Your bound to have sevral issue's from what you have described. Not trying to bag on you but if your not sure always seek proffesional advise. I am far from a pro but I have learned alot doing things the hard way from bad advice and waisting lots of dollars...

For that kinda money you could have got a new long block. 2k plus the other new parts... It still amazes me what people will pay for a used LS1. They haven't used them in a production car in like 6 years...
Wow OP, please tell me you bought the entire car for $2K. Don't tell me you paid $2K for just an LS1 engine....... I assumed he bought the car with a bad motor for $2K.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:16 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by poseidon
No i did not hone it. And i forgot to double check if the rings were staggered. I am hoping that is my problem and not something else major.
Well, not staggering the rings is major, considering that you will have to tear down the motor to fix that problem. As you've learned, a basic rebuild includes not only replacing things that are worn, but using certain techniques such as honing, staggering the rings, machining the deck/heads, etc. Personally, if I were to try and rebuild a motor I would farm out the machine work but assemble it myself...
Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

The rings rotate when the engine is running anyways so stagering them is useless.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, I'm selling a stroked 408 for just a little more than you paid for a bad motor and parts to rebuild it.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Teching In

I paid 2 grand for the entire car. And ive helped rebuild a few engines but havent taken the task on myself before. Its a learning experience and i will pay better attention next time. Im not pulling the motor just going in from the oil pan and staggering the rings and honing it out with the heads off. And theres a lot of no brainers, but if its your first time those "no brainers" may just not hit you. But it will be alright. It was a good learning experience.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Wow OP, please tell me you bought the entire car for $2K. Don't tell me you paid $2K for just an LS1 engine....... I assumed he bought the car with a bad motor for $2K.
LOL, I was going off the first line of his story...
So i just rebuilt my ls1 because i bought it for $2000 with a bent rod.
Also he states he put 1 new piston and rod. I hope he had it rebalanced...

No mention of having heads rebuilt i.e. Seals, check guides for ware, VJ and so on...

If it had a bent rod and damaged piston, I can only imagine the carnage.
The whole thing would need to be gone through esspecially if peices of the piston or if it chewed up the bearings and sent debrey through out the engine. these blocks have also been known to crack when severe damage or over heating occurs.

Last edited by 1FastBrick; 11-29-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by poseidon
I paid 2 grand for the entire car. And ive helped rebuild a few engines but havent taken the task on myself before. Its a learning experience and i will pay better attention next time. Im not pulling the motor just going in from the oil pan and staggering the rings and honing it out with the heads off. And theres a lot of no brainers, but if its your first time those "no brainers" may just not hit you. But it will be alright. It was a good learning experience.
Thats not going to work to well. Your going to end up with particales of the honeing stone inside the engine. That will surely kill the bearings.

You have come this far why not pull the rotating assembly out and hone it properly. Then you can clean the debry out from honing so you dont ruin the entire motor. Plus you will not get the entire cylinder which means you will still get blow by.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

Are you sure you put the right size piston back in it? Like i posted above staggering the rings will do nothing as they rotate as the engine runs anyway. From your discrption of how bad it smokes are you sure there just isn't oil in everything burning off? I assume you replaced the rings with new ones, are you sure you got the proper size? With the engine running pull the oil cap off and tell me what happens.

Last edited by O2Form; 11-29-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Launching!

If you got an LS1 car for $2K, and you're shortcutting the hell out of fixing your motor, you'll end up spending a lot more buying another LS1, and then your $2K deal just went out the window. Pull the motor and fix it right, that's just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

Take your $2k car and stick my $3500 motor in it and be done

A lot of really good info in here I hope you take he advice of some very experienced members!!!

Quick Reply: Ls1 Rebuild Failure