General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird chirping noise after installing ps pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question weird chirping noise after installing ps pump

I know this sounds weird but I didn't hear this noise until the day after I replaced my power steering pump. I'm horrible at deciphering engine noises so I was wondering if anyone out there has heard this before or knows what it is.

I'm not sure if power steering pumps "chirp" lol It's an aftermarket one (PSC) if that makes any difference.

Anyway, here's a vid of what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WXPS82omFQ

Thanks to anyone taking the time to listen and help me out, this is driving me crazy! (no pun intended)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You need one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM With it, you can track down the chirping pulley or idler.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wssix99
You need one of these. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-Me.../dp/B0002SQYSM With it, you can track down the chirping pulley or idler.
That is awesome. Definitely getting me one. Is it possible to put the ps pulley on too far?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Save the manuals!

I don't think so. Is it the same pulley? Can you hear the noise with the hood shut? I'm wondering if its been there for a while and you just haven't noticed it.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by demonpixel
That is awesome. Definitely getting me one. Is it possible to put the ps pulley on too far?
yes it is
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by demonpixel

Yessir, also that stethoscope may help you. Try spraying the belt with something, if its goes away its the belt binding/chirping somewhere.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the help guys. You know what, I have a shorter belt I can run. That'll make it so the ps pump pulley isn't turning when the engine is on. If the chirp goes away then we'll know it's the pump.

I'll keep ya posted, thanks again
Old 02-05-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I put that shorter belt on and the noise went away. So I got a power steering pump pulley removing/installing tool but now that I'm looking at the pulley...it looks like it's actually THREADED on somehow. Like there are threads in the actual pulley. I know they're press on but check this out:

So the pulley is threaded, and it looks like there's an allen nut in there or something.

I'm going to call PSC and ask them how I can get this off. Has anyone come across this before?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Save the manuals!

The threads are for putting the pulley back on. The puller tugs at the outer lip and has a loose rod that just presses on that shaft.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

The threads are for putting the pulley back on. The puller tugs at the outer lip and has a loose rod that just presses on that shaft.
Ok, so when I pull this thing with a puller I rented from the parts store, do I need to worry about those threads, or the allen socket? Do I just put the rod inside of it and use the puller to tug the outer lip?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Save the manuals!

I would expect that they gave you two tools in the kit. An installer and a puller. The puller should have two shackles that fit over the lip and are locked in by a cylindrical sleeve. That tool should just have a plain rod that sticks inside the allen bolt and pushes. (While the shackles pull outward.)

You should see that the threads come in to play when you use the other installer tool.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

I would expect that they gave you two tools in the kit. An installer and a puller. The puller should have two shackles that fit over the lip and are locked in by a cylindrical sleeve. That tool should just have a plain rod that sticks inside the allen bolt and pushes. (While the shackles pull outward.)

You should see that the threads come in to play when you use the other installer tool.
Cool, thanks man. I'll get started pullin' then.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I got the pulley off. Inspected it, and the front of it looks fine, but the back has these streaks. I don't know if they're stress cracks or if this is normal or what.

I took this pics with a macro lens; hopefully they show up ok:

Have you guys seen this before?

Thanks again for all the help
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Strange. Did that pulley come with your new pump?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Apparently those are just power steering fluid streaks from when the old pump was leaking. PSC gave me a new ps pump body and used the old pump. I took some degreaser/carb cleaner and scotch bright and cleaned it up; no more of those streaks.

I reinstalled it and the pump went on much further than it was before. Ran the engine for a few minutes and no chirping! Seems to be ok for now....except for the P0440 code that keeps coming up. lol Might be time to get a new gas cap....

Thanks again for all the help

Quick Reply: weird chirping noise after installing ps pump