General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HVAC not blowing!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HVAC not blowing!

At the beginning of the winter, I pulled out the HVAC controls out of the TA to replace with a camaro panel. I didn't put the new panel in until yesterday, and when I hooked it up, it's getting power but the blower isn't coming on.

Today I put the old panel back in to see if that was the problem, but no go. Any ideas??
Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your getting power though? Fuse?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Your getting power though? Fuse?
The panel lights up, the rear defrost is working. I can hear the air (vacuum?) when I switch from OFF to A/C, vents, etc. But the blower does not come on. Is there a fuse for just the blower? I checked the HVAC fuse and that was good...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh i dunno i havent had to check before, i know that i hooked up the HVAC when i was switching out the lights though and blew a fuse that made it not work.. nothing was working though, thats why i asked how you knew you had power. Not sure on this one
Old 02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Launching!

A really simple test is this. Remove the kick panel above the passenger footwell, unplug the blower motor and use a meter to check for power at the plug end with the fan on. That will at least narrow down what's going on.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elthesh
A really simple test is this. Remove the kick panel above the passenger footwell, unplug the blower motor and use a meter to check for power at the plug end with the fan on. That will at least narrow down what's going on.
Thanks I'll try this tomorrow.

Last edited by APG12; 02-16-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Ahh i dunno i havent had to check before, i know that i hooked up the HVAC when i was switching out the lights though and blew a fuse that made it not work.. nothing was working though, thats why i asked how you knew you had power. Not sure on this one
Yea everything else is working, just not the blower. Thanks though!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Hey on my car, when i try to turn on the AC, I have air coming out but not cold and I dont hear the AC kicking in.

I went to the fuse box and took out the relay for the AC and I just jumped it using a wire and the AC kicks in like that.

I never was able to find the problem so Im still stuck....I hope you find a fix
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS DNA
Hey on my car, when i try to turn on the AC, I have air coming out but not cold and I dont hear the AC kicking in.

I went to the fuse box and took out the relay for the AC and I just jumped it using a wire and the AC kicks in like that.

I never was able to find the problem so Im still stuck....I hope you find a fix
Yours sounds like a problem with the compressor not kicking on. You may have a leak. If there's not enough pressure in the system, the compressor wont kick on.

My problem is with the blower itself not coming on and not blowing any air at all.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So it turns out that I am retarded and just missed this connector!

Now the blower is working just fine, however, I noticed that the air is just coming out of the floor and windshield vents, not the dash vents. I saw some threads about this problem but didn't really read them so time for a search....
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Well, so long as it isn't something disconnected behind the controls... It's very likely a vacuum check valve. This little piece of crap is located under the hood, passenger side somewhere between the intake and the computer. It should have a few vacuum hoses going into it and will likely be cracked along the "seam" or anywhere else. I've replaced this same piece of junk in my old 99 Z and a 91 TA. Anyway, it's not REALLY a piece of junk. Just annoys me of what I had to go through to figure out what was causing the same problem you're having.

They run about 4 and a half bucks. They won't have a damned clue what you are talking about at the parts store. I just go to the area at Advance that has the vacuum and windshield wiper hose. It was on a rack right near those, a Dorman item. You can get the AC Delco one pretty cheap on Rockauto under Heater and AC controls. If you need part numbers, let me know. Just make sure yours IS cracked first though. Sometimes the crack isn't obvious until you flex the piece a few different ways.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Hi,
another thing to check!
The resistor which is located on passenger side/pull carpet area/one screw holds it in place. A little tricky but this contols the high speed on blower motor. It usually works at lower speeds/no high speed. Check diverter under dash/ vacuum underhood as stated above. Good luck and have a blessed day............jim
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys. I did search and read about the check valve so I will look at that tomorrow. Where can I find the diverter under the dash?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Launching!

The diverter I have no experience with, but I just looked at that 3 way check valve SHOULD be right next to the computer. Mine has one of the vacuum hoses in a "clip" holding it to the car maybe a couple inches away from the computer.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Hi,
the diverter/blend hooks into back of control panel. This controls vents/floors/etc provided working properly. Have a blessed evening........jim
Old 02-20-2020, 03:48 PM
Teching In

2000 Chevy Camaro v6 my heater wont blow and my hvac fuse on the dash keeps blowing
Old 02-29-2020, 07:20 PM
Banned

Alright quick info session. AC units (also called Heat Pumps) are not that complicated. Outside there is a big fan which looks like its working from your pic. You said there is cold air meaning the compressor is working, and that there is still freon in the lines. Another component is a capacitor that it necessary to start the compressor and fan, but this must be working as your compressor and fan are working. The fact that again you feel cold air meana thw thermostat is working and no safety sensor is engaged.

Quick Reply: HVAC not blowing!