General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Finding a AC leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurbopigB4C
I was an extended warranty claims adjuster and paid for car repairs for a living all day every day. Dodge and Jeep trucks have common evaporator leak issues. If you don't have any luck finding it before you tear into the dash it is usually worth it to save yourself the stress to pay the Dodge dealer the 75 - 100 bucks they will charge to diagnose it. I am a GM tech at the dealer and if you are unfamiliar with the car and the common problems they have even a trained eye can have a hard time. The guys at the dealer see the same crap every day and usually know what it is before they even pop the hood because the same stuff usually breaks on each type of car.
I was not trying to be a dick and I said in my first post that I have seen many evaporators on these trucks and Mopar in general. When you talk on these forums it is hard because you do not know any persons actual background. The AC system is one of the easiest to diagnose I was just giving my two cents. I have worked in independent and dealerships and have seen much higher technical aptitude in the dealerships than an independent. I was just trying to help you find the problem without guessing.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Form
Yep they corrode and start leaking......i seen it so many times its insane....Chryslers are know for this. The seams leak too, I would test the new one before you put it in AND I wouldn't buy a factory evap, go get a good afermarket.

I am, screw OEM in this case.

Sucks ***, this is going to be some work. . . .

Really crappy since it's such a new vehicle too.

How would you test the new one before installing it in?
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always charge the new vessel with nitrogen then bubble check under water. You could cap the ends and use compressed air too. Just be careful if you don't do this kind of work. You are probably safe using a good aftermarket brand without testing BUT look it over closely, its alot of work to do over again.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It will likely be fine when you first install it. There is no way to know if will fail after a little or a lot of time though.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Addict

Not much else I can do. . . . I'm thinking I will assemble the AC box and pull a vacuum, let it sit for a while and see if it holds.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well a vacuum can find some leaks the evap is under pressure ALL the time. So you would idealy want to test it around 75 psi CAREFULLY.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just assemble all the ac stuff before you put it all back together and run it and you can then use your sniffer to see if you pick up anything
Old 03-16-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Just assemble all the ac stuff before you put it all back together and run it and you can then use your sniffer to see if you pick up anything

The sniffer seems not to be as accurate as I want. I found the die first.

So what else should I do with the system?

So far, I want to replace the evap and the drier. The compressor seems to be okay, no other spots at all with the die anywhere.

Should I leave the die in the system? If not, yet again. How/should can I flush it out?

I think the orifice tube is okay to leave alone since the compressor did not come apart as I first thought.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Evaorators are usually ok to replace by themselves. Anything extra is your opinion.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Evaorators are usually ok to replace by themselves. Anything extra is your opinion.

+ dryer at least

I am doing the heater core since I am in there, but that's it for now.

I hope the compressor is still okay.

Quick Reply: Finding a AC leak