General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Finding a AC leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding a AC leak

I just don't get it, I tried and tried. . . . This is on a 07 Ram so not a F-Body, but the same crap really.

The AC leaked out all the refrigerant in a few months. Now I filled it back up and added a can of die and refrigerant(no stop leak garbage).

It's been in for almost a week, now it's low on 134a. I looked and I looked, I see absolutely no leaks anywhere.

WTF?

I also tried my SnapOn sniffer. Same result, absolutely nothing.

I don't get it. . . . . Even if it is the compressor front seal I should see it. . . I would think.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be inside at the evaporator, my jeep has this problem. Try sniffing the vents inside.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by O2Form
Might be inside at the evaporator, my jeep has this problem. Try sniffing the vents inside.

That is one place I have not looked yet. . . . .

I just didn't even think about it since the truck is so new.

Really, evaporator?

How can it have a leak? Or more like WTF. . . . .

I will check it though. . . .

But, will the compressor always show oil residue or die if it is leaking from the front seal? I can't see under the clutch and pulley.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was an extended warranty claims adjuster and paid for car repairs for a living all day every day. Dodge and Jeep trucks have common evaporator leak issues. If you don't have any luck finding it before you tear into the dash it is usually worth it to save yourself the stress to pay the Dodge dealer the 75 - 100 bucks they will charge to diagnose it. I am a GM tech at the dealer and if you are unfamiliar with the car and the common problems they have even a trained eye can have a hard time. The guys at the dealer see the same crap every day and usually know what it is before they even pop the hood because the same stuff usually breaks on each type of car.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You also need to know how much of a leak it actually had for the week. When you originally recovered the system before adding any refrigerant how much was in the system? How much did you put back in after you recovered and vacuumed down the system? How much did you recover a week later? If you only leaked out less than a lb. of refrigerant in the week the leak is pretty small and you might not be able to find the leak with the blacklight or the sniffer. Are you using a proper AC machine with real ac gauges or just guessing with autozone crap in a can? To properly do AC work well you need to use the real deal machine on hard problems.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

I have no recovery machine. . . . But, I do have the necessary tools: sniffer, quality manifold gauge set and a evacuation pump.

The system takes exactly 2 cans to fill up.

Now I am really leaning towards the evaporator. The owner of the truck said he smells a odd odor from the vents. . . . Hmmm

I am doing this work for him as a favor. The stealership is no place for someone who I know I can help out.

He took the truck in less then a year ago. They did nothing except charge up the system and replace the dryer. They said it's leaking. . . . Ummm, maybe the compressor. . . . Top notch service there.

Last edited by samson_420; 03-15-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Banned

The evaporators come apart at the seams...real quality stuff AND all the jeeps the evaps are dam hard to swap out.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

real quality stuff AND all the jeeps the evaps are dam hard to swap out.

This is such BS. . . . I seen evaporators in 70's cars that are just fine.

And I know it, you have to remove the dash. Doing the compressor is like doing a oil change compared to taking out the damn dash.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by samson_420
This is such BS. . . . I seen evaporators in 70's cars that are just fine.

And I know it, you have to remove the dash. Doing the compressor is like doing a oil change compared to taking out the damn dash.
BS WTF do you know abbout Chrysler evaps....ya ****** moron!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Banned

That is one place I have not looked yet. . . . .

I just didn't even think about it since the truck is so new.

Really, evaporator?

How can it have a leak? Or more like WTF. . . . .

I will check it though. . . .

But, will the compressor always show oil residue or die if it is leaking from the front seal? I can't see under the clutch and pulley.
Its a common issue with chrysler vehicles......
Old 03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It seriously sounds like you are unfamiliar with AC because any part of the system could be bad going into a problem. Anything that refrigerant is contained in can leak. The system has pressure and things under pressure can leak. The evaporator is constantly going from near freezing temperatures with AC on to pretty high temps without ac on and engine running. Any part on a car can break and an evaporator is not the end of the world. In the labor guide an evaporator pays about 6 hours on that truck. A good mechanic can do any job in half if not three times faster than the published customer pay time. At the dealer techs do there warranty jobs under warranty time which pays about half of customer pay so the evaporator done under warranty would pay a tech likely only 3-4 hours and would likely get done in that amount of time. It sounds like you offered help on more than you are willing to bite off so it is best to leave the job and say sorry I can't figure it out. There is no guarantee that it is the evaporator so what happens if you take it all apart and that's not it then you will be really pissed.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

That's y I am trying to make sure I determine which part is actually faulty unlike most shops that will just start changing parts < You know this is a fact.

Tearing out a dash sure does not sound like fun, but it's not the end of the world - But it sho sucks.

As far as how familiar with AC, I would say a 8.5 out of 10. Pin pointing the exact faulty part is a different story.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's y I am trying to make sure I determine which part is actually faulty unlike most shops that will just start changing parts < You know this is a fact.

Tearing out a dash sure does not sound like fun, but it's not the end of the world - But it sho sucks.

As far as how familiar with AC, I would say a 8.5 out of 10. Pin pointing the exact faulty part is a different story.
There is a big difference between a parts changer/mechanic and a technician. The technician knows why not just what. Anyone can know how something works from reading a description but pin pointing the actual part is what makes you a technician. Most good shops will never throw a part at a car no matter what stereotype you are going off of. Shops and dealerships get a bad name for the stereotypes people base them off of. They are in business for a reason and its not to rip people off. If one person has a bad experience they tell ten people who those ten people tell five more people each and it spreads. If someone has a normal experience and get there car fixed they tell no one. The worst thing for you to do with a friend or family members car is guess if you don't know its best to say so.

That's y I am trying to make sure I determine which part is actually faulty unlike most shops that will just start changing parts < This is not a fact. It only is if you go to Pep Boy like shops that hire wash out technicians at bare minimum wages.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sure thing. . . . And according to the stealership he would have a new compressor.

Only true experience the tools at the Dodge Stealership have is repetition. They check the same crap I do.

Just because they seen the last 10 what ever go bad, that is what they know. . . < Fact, not an opinion.

Is there quality techs out there? Of course. . . . Is there a lot? . . . . I don't think so.

Back on topic. . . . I know we can bitch back and forth forever, but I would like some help not just crap talking.

I am doing the work, no one else. . . . And I would like the most possible helpful advise. So, far I have seen some which will be helpful. Hopefully it will help me find what I am actually looking for.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you know it has a leak it must be coming from somewhere. Start at the condenser and move around the system following the lines. Lots of stuff can leak and not have any build up or oil around it especially if it is a small leak and has not been doing it for a while. Refill with refrigerant and test with system running for a couple hours with your sniffer. Do not let the car go and come back. If its leaking the best time to use your sniffer is right after you recharge it and let it run for a bit. Switches can leak, the service ports can leak, compressor, lines, seals to the lines, evaporator, condenser.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Look i told you what to check.....do it...... this guy doesn't know ****! I'm telling you the evaps are known for leaking and you are atill ******* around.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Look i told you what to check.....do it......

LOL. . . . . I will next time I mess with the truck today.

It does sound like it is the issue. . .

this guy doesn't know ****

+1

Parts changing stealership **** talker.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

After another two hours of eye ******* the AC system it has been confirmed that the damn evaporator is fucked.

I took out the blower motor and a air flow sensor then hit with the UV light. Yup, nice n' green. . . .

The evaporator looks fricking nasty. It does not use a cabin filter and he has big family. The evaporator looks so clogged that you can barely see the fins. It seems that the dust and crap settled on the evaporator kept in moisture and the aluminum started to corrode. . . . . . This is on a 07 with only 60k < What the gay? Oh well, removing the dash should be fun
Old 03-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Sorry but i get kinda worked up when people post up about things they know nothing about. I have ALOT experience in HVAC, all types...you can't bs me.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Yep they corrode and start leaking......i seen it so many times its insane....Chryslers are know for this. The seams leak too, I would test the new one before you put it in AND I wouldn't buy a factory evap, go get a good afermarket.

Quick Reply: Finding a AC leak