General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c clutch or tensioner? help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a/c clutch or tensioner? help diagnose

My wifes trans am just started making a pulley noise the other day- I just figured it needed a tensioner like mine. Today it got louder and her a/c wasnt blowing cold. At times it makes a high pitched screeching sound (a/c on) and if your driving when the compressor kicks on and it makes the noise you can feel it drag the motor. It almost feels like when the compressor kicks on the pulley is trying to lock up or something and slows the belt enough to surge the motor. With the a/c OFF the car runs perfect- no noise at all. My question--- Does this sound like the compressors clutch pulley or the tensioner pulley. Sounds like the clutch pulley to me- just checking. Also can just the clutch pulley be replaced without replacing the compressor? Do you have to uncharge the system to take the pulley off? thanks for the help- gotta get that a/c back quick-its HOT in texas;(
Old 07-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey what was the tensioner part number for the ac. im getting a squealing noise from that area and am having a hard time locating the issue
Old 07-21-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when the compressor clutch kicks in and you get a squeal or belt noise and it bogs down the engine, that may be a sign the compressor is about to grenade itself which is generally because the system is low on oil. Has the system had a leak and been recharged a lot?

i'm not knowledgable about compressors, I'm sure just the clutch can be replaced but whether it's easy to do or not I don't know, this article seems to say no even if you have the compressor on a bench it looks like. And whether you can buy just the clutch is another story, generally stuff like that they want to sell you the whole new unit.
http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/...llyService.htm
Old 07-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It sounds like your compressor itself is dead.

If you just had a bad bearing on the clutch, the A/C should still work. (It sounds like the clutch is engaging the compressor because the engine changes when it takes on the other load.) I'll bet your clutch is OK and the squealing is a shot compressor, which would be consistent with you not getting A/C.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Launching!

well thats bad news- i'll have to get it checked out- Bad thing is the compressor is only 5 months old, but no warranty
Old 07-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Ugh. Was it a reman compressor or a used part?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Ugh. Was it a reman compressor or a used part?
It was a reman unit. I bought it at a local a/c shop and i didnt think they would warranty it because i didnt have them put it on. The shop that installed it for me called them today and told em it went bad and to my suprise they said they would replace it So not to bad after all.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Cool - I hope you get cool soon!

Quick Reply: a/c clutch or tensioner? help diagnose