General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fix for leaking T-top?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fix for leaking T-top?

I noticed a few weeks ago that I had a few drips coming in from both t-tops when it was raining really hard. I know this is a common thing with f body's and wanted to know if there was a fix out there to stop this.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

Clean out the tray where the T-tops sit. There are silicone seams near what seem to be drains. Make sure the drains (?) are clear of leaf litter and debris. scrape/peel out the old silicone and use black RTV and reapply it where the old stuff was. Make sure your weatherstripping on the glass is in good shape. No cuts or tears, or flattened beyond hope.

This fixed my leaks.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Where is the leak coming from. Lots of things can cause this. Is it where the T-Top meets the roof? The window glass? The A-pillar? The B-pillar?

If its the window glass, then it may not be the T-Top. There are a number of window problems/adjustments that can be the cause. If its in this area, please reply if its the front or back of the glass.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

The leak is coming from where the window meets the t-top and where the t-top bolts into the A pillar.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MRMonster
The leak is coming from where the window meets the t-top and where the t-top bolts into the A pillar.

Same spot mine does it.

I really wish someone would re make the seals so that the windows could go up into a track, instead of up against the seal.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If there's no leak along the roofline, than its more of a window issue.

If you look at where the weatherstripping meets the glass from the outside of the car, you can see the "reveal" and follow that along the line of the glass. You'll probably find that the gap between the glass and the lip in molded in to the weatherstripping is larger where you have the leak. (Less common is a situation where the glass is pulled away and out from the weatherstripping - but that's another thing.)

If you have this wider reveal, you can raise the forward glass stop to allow the window to raise up higher in the front. To see the adjustment screw, take off the door panel. The stop itself is inside the door, but you'll see a flange bolt that screws in to a vertical oval from the outside of the panel. (You can also look in the door and see where the stop contacts the plastic ledge attached to the glass.) Just loosen the adjusting bolt, raise it a tad and check the reveal again.

BEWARE - The procedure above is for where you do not have a visible gap in the glass where water comes through. If you have a visible gap, it could be a sign of something much worse, like this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html While the door panel is off, its worthwhile to check for the regulator attachments tearing - just in case.

Last edited by wssix99; 11-14-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help. I don't see a visible gap. I'll see if that adjustment screw does anything. I live in the desert so it doesn't rain much so I am not too worried about it.lol
Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I adjusted the upper limiter stops on my windows and that cured my leaks.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine leaks at the window too going to tops and in the middle of the back sail panel

Quick Reply: Fix for leaking T-top?