General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Dead after storage

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery Dead after storage

So I went to change my oil and get the car ready to come out and the battery was dead as ****! I had a battery tender on it for 4 mo's. Battery is only 2 years old so with the tender on it I can't believe it shot craps.
Anyone have any problems with a tender frying a battery over the winter or was it just a bad battery?
Next year I think I will just take it out but thats a pain in the *** with having to reset all your head unit stuff.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I always just disconnect the battery when I store my car. Is it worth buying a new battery for $100 or resetting the head unit?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Thats why I put the tender on it and why I ask the question ! Geez
Old 02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the dealer i work for sells a factory battery tender (porsche dealer) cause these cars are never driven so i have customers come in and wonder why there batterys still die and they have installed a tender with my experience these tenders are designed to shock the battery but when the batt voltage drops below a certain threshold the tender will remain on for extended periods of time (also porsche batteries are still servicable on 911s) but anyways it boils the water out of the plates i have seen countless batteries come in completely dry and not more than a couple years old so the best way to store it is with the battery disconnected
Old 02-19-2012, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Was the battery tender plugged in?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,100 Posts

If you don't want to disconnect your battery, you can do what I do:

I use a 2 amp trickle charger that cuts off automatically when the battery is charged. I hook it up once every 2 months during the typical ~6 months of winter storage (or any time the car sits for a couple months). After two months, the battery voltage is usually down to about 12.0-12.2v. I do NOT keep the charger attached once the battery is recharged (no "tending" feature).

This process has worked great for my seldom-use vehicle. I get 5-6 years out of a battery without a problem. My primary reason for not wanting to disconnect the battery is because I drive the car so little that it would take all year to relearn the fuel trims if I pulled the battery every winter.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These tenders suck!

Marine battery tenders have been successfully used for MANY years.

I've sold and installed a LOT, NO problems.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Marine Battery tenders? Well I might give that a shot! The trickle charger is a good Idea but my car is stored 30 min's away from my house or I would just do that. Sure hope the mustang battery had better luck when I pull it out in a few weeks!