General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car drives like a boat, suspension ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car drives like a boat, suspension ideas?

Even though I know F Bodies arent really made for handling, my car drives like a boat on the highway and the suspension set up is lacking...it gets scary at times especially at high speeds and in the rain. What kind of suspension set-ups do some of you recommend? (Shocks, stiffer springs, etc...)
Old 02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned

go spend an hour in the Suspension section. dont make a thread. just read.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

+1 Off the top of my head , get bilstein shocks (Konis if you can afford them and especially if you want to lower your car) , 35/22 Sway bars from Strano , maybe a set of his springs of you dont mind , an adjustable PHB , and refresh all the suspension bushings , preferably moog rubbers if you want to keep the cost down and have more `comfortable` ride opposed to aftermarket LCA and A-Arms .
Read up on the suspension section and contact Sam Strano and/or UMI as they will make your car handle ...

And F-bodies can handle quite well when done right , and doing it right isnt too hard or expensive trust me .
Old 02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Like mentioned the best areas to start would be different springs, good shocks, upgraded sway bars and a panhard bar. These areas I would address first for handling and to change the entire ride and feel of the car.

For shocks the Bilsteins and Koni's are good to check out. Strano offers a very nice lowering spring and we would be glad to help with the sway bars and panhard bar.

Take a look around and check out our site too if you get a chance- www.umiperformance.com

Let me know if you have any questions and I will be glad to help!
Ryan
Old 02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the helpful input cookba. Ryan, I'm not looking to lower my car just stiffen up the suspension (shocks and springs) I will look into the KONI shocks but not sure which springs to go with.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

to be honest to stock springs arent bad or anything , with proper dampenin (Koni`s) they just fine . Im still on stick springs and I dont think its holding me back at all ( it is a street car afterall ) . Shocks and sway bars will make the biggest difference , plus Koni`s are adjustable .. With some grippy tires (preferably low profile ones) , you`ll have a nice handling car .. I mean I will lower my car for the looks , but I doubt you`ll need stiffer springs for the street.. Im not saying my car handles perfect , but I have outhandled a E92 bmw coupe on the twisties , just because my car gave me the confidence to push it and I did , I could see the bmw in my rear view mirror oversteering while my Firebird was almost like glued to the road .
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm about getting ready to buy shocks as well, and I've heard the same things about the stock springs: that they're not bad at all and it's the shocks that are the one that need replacing, even when they were new. I saw Strano's Eibach spring and Bilstein shock kit and considered getting that one, but again, I hear that the stock springs aren't bad at all. Anyone else want to weigh in on that notion?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Eibach ? I`d steer away from those , for handling , Id go Strano , BMR , Hotchkis in that order . not Eibach`s ..
Old 02-29-2012, 07:11 AM
BS
Launching!

Originally Posted by myk
I'm about getting ready to buy shocks as well, and I've heard the same things about the stock springs: that they're not bad at all and it's the shocks that are the one that need replacing, even when they were new. I saw Strano's Eibach spring and Bilstein shock kit and considered getting that one, but again, I hear that the stock springs aren't bad at all. Anyone else want to weigh in on that notion?
Strano's springs would be better than Eibach but if you do decide on Eibach get the 93-97 LT1 car Pro-Kit.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

stock springs, heater hose mod, and bilsteins for me. New endlinks on the front swaybars (dang rusty bolts...) And I would consider my car EXACTLY what I want for a DD and weekend racer. Handles good (nothing excellent but worlds above what it was.. consider I have drag radials and I have lots of room for improvement there alone!). She rides very smooth (better than my wife's 09 CX7) and handles better too (now).. that part is saying something to me because that sucker handles like a car not an suv. Mine was very much like yours probably is.. 103K miles on the stock decarbon shocks and she was starting to get floaty on the interstate.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kobraa
Even though I know F Bodies arent really made for handling, my car drives like a boat on the highway and the suspension set up is lacking...it gets scary at times especially at high speeds and in the rain. What kind of suspension set-ups do some of you recommend? (Shocks, stiffer springs, etc...)
My WS6 handles great, solid as a rock. And I don't even have the best ****......

sig.......relatively cheap. But besides the shocks and springs, this stuff helps handling quite a bit too: Hotchkis STB, UMI PH Bar, LCA's w/relo brackets, SFC's

Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kobraa
F-bodies aren't made for handling... common import wisdom.

There are only two things you need to fix the floaty feeling and to improve traction in the rain: good dampers and good tires.

The shocks are the weakest link in these cars from the factory. The stock damping is pretty sad and was spec'd for ride comfort and cost savings. If it is on stock shocks they have also lived past their life as the newest of these cars is more than a decade old. Bilstein or Koni shocks will fix the float and make a night and day difference in the way the car feels. The ride will be firmer, but the car will feel drastically more controlled. Koni's are more expensive and will ride a little firmer.

As for wet weather traction, get a decent performance tire but avoid ridiculous things like drag radials or track specials. I will avoid chiding you for driving recklessly in the rain because these cars can sometimes be squirrelly within posted speeds in the rain if you do not have decent tires. Also keep in mind these cars are pretty powerful and RWD, so driver technique is important as well.

Any other mods are not necessary to correct what you describe.

Go look in the hundreds of threads in the suspension forum if you want to go any further into the realm of handling for the track.

Quick Reply: Car drives like a boat, suspension ideas?