General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

HELP! WS6 Firing 4 Trouble Codes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! WS6 Firing 4 Trouble Codes!

Hey everyone,

I've been struggling with my WS6 for awhile now and thought I could use some input/help. Just some background, my 01 WS6 has 46,000 miles and is pretty much stock. The only mods I have are long tubes, ORY, muffler, K&N CAI. I also purchased a diablo predator to help with tuning and reading trouble codes. During the header/ORY install, I had the spark plugs changed and used o2 extensions to complete the connections. Soon after, I put the diablo factory tune on it and it ran okay (a couple Lean trouble codes came on). Also, I used DSLOGREDUX to help tune my injector slope. The programs said I needed to change the slope to -/+12 or so (I can't remember). People at diablosport said I may have an air leak. When I took the car out of storage this year, the car seemed to run even worse, sluggish driving while cruising at 2000 rpm, almost a jerking motion. Now, I put the original factory tune back on the car out of fear of harming the motor.

After going for a cruise with the original tune, 4 trouble codes came on within a 15 minute drive.
p0174 - too lean, bank 2
p0300 - random misfire
p1153 - bank 2 fule control shifted lean (FAOSC) see p2098
P0133 - o2 circuit slow response (bank 1 sensor 1)

Just doing some research I found it could be a number of things. Dirty MAF, defective 02 sensors, dead plugs, or defective spark plug wires.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to approach this? Should I take it to a pontiac dealer? I have limited/newbie knowledge of cars and can only do basic tasks.

Any input would be appreciated

THANKS!
Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mite have some bad O2 sensors and change the plugs and test the plug wires.maybe also change your intake gaskets.check for any vacuum leaks .
Old 06-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clean the MAF and get rid of that POS K&N filter.....all they do is kill MAF's.....and quickly. Kill meaning they get them dirty with that crap oil and then you get **** performance and codes.

Could have something to do with the 02 sensors or those extensions you used. Scan it with the engine running to see how they are switching.....

Old 06-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

What is a safe way to check the wires? Will carb cleaner work on the MAF? Replace the K&N with a lid or something else? How do you check for vacuum leaks?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta use MAF cleaner on the MAF. $7 for a can of it. Spend that money. Carb cleaner will kill your MAF. For wires, just get an ohm meter on each end of the wire to check resistance. Then do a visual/finger point inspection on the wires for separations, tears, burns, etc.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

That could be it then. I know I've used carb cleaner to clean the MAF before. How can vacuum leaks be checked?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spray carb cleaner around exhaust and intake gaskets, etc. One thing it's actually good for on an EFI car lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You probably trashed the front o2(s) after the header install since you don't have cats anymore. This happens alot and so you might need new o2's.

You didn't have these issues before the exhaust install? Also, make sure all your wires are snapped on the plugs since you changed them.