General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Turn Signal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Issue

First let me say that I did a pretty long search before asking....

OK.. Passenger side works fine (front-back)

First I removed both tail light lenses so I had full view of all bulbs.
I tried several bulbs to eliminate just another bad one.
Turn on headlights and all come on as they should. When I hit the left blinker, The outer 2 way bulb gets brighter on the driver side but it doesnt blink. The inner 2 way bulb looks a little dimmer but it wont blink either.

When I try the hazzards, all lights blink except the left inner 2 way bulb. So Ive narrowed it down but Im not sure what to do next. Could it be a bad socket or possibly a short somewhere down the line?

Anyway Im sick of manually hitting my left blinker to signal other drivers lol.

HELP
Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Have you looked at your socket? You can usually see if it is bad and corroded. If not that its usually the blinker flasher module. forget the exact name but it's a 5$ part.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its definitely something in the rear wiring harness or the socket. (Assuming you switch the two bulbs to rule them out. Putting in a "new" bulb won't necessarily do that.)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Yea I put in a bulb that I know works so its not a bulb.
Also if it was a flasher wouldnt it effect all flashing (blinking) and not just 1 socket?

thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by betterbait
Yea I put in a bulb that I know works so its not a bulb.
Unless you've proven the bulb works correctly in another socket, this doesn't prove anything. The bubble packs that the bulbs come in get knocked around a lot before they get to the car. I've put many new bulbs in my car before to find out they were duds.

Switching the bulbs between sockets will save you a ton of embarrassment and shame if the new one you purchased was a dud.

Also if it was a flasher wouldnt it effect all flashing (blinking) and not just 1 socket?
Correct.

This situation is interesting... We don't hear about the bad sockets being corroded too often. How does it look? Have you done any work on the rear lights/bumper or gotten in an accident?

Last edited by wssix99; 06-27-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

The socket looks fine and nothing corroded. No visible damage. I did try a bulb that works so I didnt just rely on a new bulb. Ive taking it apart 3 times now thinking the next time I mess with it Ill figure it out and no dice.......

I am going to try a meter on it tomorrow and at least see if Im getting voltage when the blinker is applied. I know I am with the outer bulb because it gets brighter and both elements light up but it just doesnt blink unless I use the hazzards.

Ill keep updating as I try different things
Old 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM
Save the manuals!

Yep, time for the meeter. If I recall correctly, the rear harness plugs in to the car just inside the outer wall behind the carpet lining the trunk. The single wire in that connector splices in to multiple wires between that point and the sockets. The break in the circuit should be between that connector and the bulb.

You can also carefully pry the socket insert out of the socket body. When you do this, the wires will pop right out of the body so you can easily test them at the socket. (Be careful if you do this pry as its easy to crack the socket pieces if they have become brittle.)
Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

very helpful

thanks

UPDATE,

After metering and screwing with it some more I narrowed it down to a bad socket. I have replaced that socket and now have my blinker working again

thanks everyone

DAMN........Spoke to soon. Not working again
Old 07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Launching!

lol every once in a while my left will just decide to stay solid too
Old 07-02-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

DAMN........Spoke to soon. Not working again
If it worked after replacing the socket check your wiring, Same thing happened to me I just needed to re-pinch some of the wires