General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

starting issue PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue PLEASE HELP

hey guys any help will be greatly appreciated. i have a 1998 z28 yesterday i was out riding around stopped at the gas pump when i got back in the car i turned the ignition and the fuel pump ran the radio came on all gauges worked fine everything like normal but the starter or nothing ever made a sound, so i cycled the key and on the 2nd turn the car started fine. i got home with it made it in the garage cut it off and tried starting it back but once again the radio came on windows rolled down everything was normal but when u turn the key all the way to start it, its dead silence. the security light stays on maybe 3 or 4 seconds then it goes out like usual. any ideas will be greatly appreciated. the battery checked out fine and all fuses are good.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a bad starter or starter relay if I had to guess.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^this
Old 10-20-2012, 12:26 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be the Crank Shaft Position sensor starting to screw with you....they do just that before they start cutting the engine off while driving and then they will give you very hard starts with a lot of cranking needed. Then when it starts it will run perfect for a little bit, then cut off again.

Could be that....and NO you won't get a code till its totally failed, in most cars.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6427
Could be the Crank Shaft Position sensor starting to screw with you....they do just that before they start cutting the engine off while driving and then they will give you very hard starts with a lot of cranking needed. Then when it starts it will run perfect for a little bit, then cut off again.

Could be that....and NO you won't get a code till its totally failed, in most cars.

It's not the crank sensor. A bad crank sensor will prevent a car from starting but his problem is the car won't even turn over like power isn't get to the starter, or it is and the starter is bad itself. A bad CPS will never prevent a car from cranking....
Old 10-23-2012, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think if it's VATS ( the resistor chip in the ignition key and the **** in the steering column that reads it) then the security light will stay on after you turn the key to off. if that's not happening then i would replace the starter relay in the under hood fuse box. I think you can also swap it with another similar relay in there
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Switch a fan relay with your starter relay and see if that fixes it. If so, you'll know.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Teching In

They're the same relay.

Quick Reply: starting issue PLEASE HELP