General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Replacing motor mounts

How difficult is it without taking the motor out? I'm more concerned with engine lining up, lifting up the engine slightly. Thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

remove the motor mounts with the motor mount pedestal and you will be hunky dory .......one side at a time
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not very difficult. Just use a jack with a wood block underneath the oil pan to support the motor. Remove the two long mount bolts. At this point you can raise the motor a few inches to allow removal of each complete assembly. Each side has 4 bolts directly to the block. The engine will line back up, there's really only one way it can sit there. You'll be able to position & move it a lil bit while pushing the big bolts back through the mounts to get it to go. Like said above, do one side at a time to avoid a mixup.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

i did it on my back in my garage and it sucked. i had to remove my a\c to get the passenger side out\in. i tried to leave the stand on and just remove clamshell but that proved to be a real bitch for me so i took it all out. just have to be patient, you just have to keep wiggling it around and trying to get it all to line up right. word of advice if you are going to do headers do them now!! and if you are going to install 1 7\8s, MAKE SURE you put the header on the driver side on first BEFORE installing motor mount lol. lets just say i found out the hard way, thats why my brand new 1 7\8s are in the bubble wrap back in the box and my old headers are still on car lol. and i had the car extremely high in the air on my home made cribbing blocks.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rocktagon
It's not very difficult. Just use a jack with a wood block underneath the oil pan to support the motor. Remove the two long mount bolts. At this point you can raise the motor a few inches to allow removal of each complete assembly. Each side has 4 bolts directly to the block. The engine will line back up, there's really only one way it can sit there. You'll be able to position & move it a lil bit while pushing the big bolts back through the mounts to get it to go. Like said above, do one side at a time to avoid a mixup.
I should add that I was also doing a cam swap at the time so I had the accessories off the engine which probably made it much easier. This is a good project to do while you're under the hood for other things as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Doing this today myself. So jacking via the oil pan is ok?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteStallion00
Doing this today myself. So jacking via the oil pan is ok?
yes just make sure you have a piece of wood that contacts the edges of pan all the way across, dont jack into the middle of it lol
Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do a search there are a couple stickies for this.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What a pain. Seemed to have to keep taking more stuff apart. Definately helps if you have a second person at times. I was having trouble lining up the hole to put the bolt through the motor mount so I asked Rosie to help. With her help we put the bolts through in about 30 seconds. I couldn't believe it. I struggled alot with lining up the holes to bolt the motor mounts to the block. Very difficult to reach, especially the top rear one. Also, one of the hoses to the power steering pump pulled out. I'm in the process of putting all the parts back on.

Quick Reply: Replacing motor mounts