General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

99 z28 rear hatch glass is loose?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 z28 rear hatch glass is loose?

I searched and didn't find any info.. My 99 camaro's rear hatch glass is literally loose..? When I close the hatch you can see it wobble up and down.. I can push from the inside and I can fit a screw driver through the space.. Any ideas? Do I just need to replace the window seal? It only seems loose on the bottom middle part.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

anyone? lol
Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM
11 Second Club

So... Nobody has experienced this or has the knowledge to tell me what or where exactly to get to fix it?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would call a glass place and see what they have to say, It seems with it moving like that and you are rolling down the road with the windows down that there is the possibility of the wind pressure in the car pushing the rear window out of the hatch, especially at high speeds. I had a glass guy change the rear glass in my hatch and install a new seal and when they know what they are doing its a fast process! Hope this helps some
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

I was kind of hoping to do it myself but if it is too difficult or requires special tools I will. Do you know how much it costs? Thanks for the info.

All the threads I dig through talk about the weather strip, not the window seal or glue or whatever.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Luckily i have a glass guy who is a close friend so when he did mine i only had to buy the new window seal which was around $20 if I remember correctly. He had a sawz-all with a big flat blade on the end that he used to cut the old glass out, then removed the old window seal and installed the new one and then layed down the glue that they use to hold it down and then installed the window, taped it in place and told me not to touch it for 12 hours or so. If you had the correct tools you could probably do it yourself but im not sure how much of a pain it would be to try and do it yourself.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

dkbmxer002,

Hi! Did you attempt to fix it yourself and if so what was the procedure? Unfortunately I closed my hatch today and saw the exact same thing that you described you in your first post.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

I actually haven't fixed it yet. I will be soon. Worst case I can pick up an entire new hatch with glass for 50-100$ but then I gotta have it painted..
Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Don't try this yourself! Seriously! If you don't remove it properly you risk breaking it. If you don't know how to install it, it will NEVER seal properly and leak like a sive. Just call a glass shop, or take it to a body shop. Some things are just best left to the pro's.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

how much does it cost to have something like this fixed?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

I can't imagine that it is much. All they are gonna do is take your window out clean it and reseal it. If I had to guess, maybe 50 bucks? I really couldn't tell ya for sure. But I will say, it would be A LOT less hassle that swapping out the entire hatch. Those things are heavy as hell, and really awkward to maneuver around.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
how much does it cost to have something like this fixed?
It's easy man.

Go to an auto glass place and buy a tube of urethane. Then go to Home Depot and buy the tool that the tube goes into.....it's like a big glue gun.

Then pop your hatch and take all the interior pieces off. Then take that tube of urethane and just run a new bead all the way around the glass.....or in whatever area you want to re-glue. I would try to get a couple sand bags, heavy ones like 40-50 pounds. Immediately after you put the urethane bead around the glass and body. Shut the hatch and lay the sand bags onto the back glass over night.

When you shut the hatch make sure one of the car door windows in down or a door is open so the air doesn't push out where the new urethane is. Then roll the windows up and let it dry overnight.

Is a $15.00 fix and your time.

OR......an auto glass place will usually charge about $150.00 to remove the glass, clean all the old urethane off and also replace the black moulding around the edge of the glass with a new one.......
Just make sure if you do.....that the work order says that....if they break the glass while taking it out, it's their responsibility to replace it with a new one.
Sme companies won't guarantee it.......Safelite guarantees it and some others will to. Just ask.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

hmmmm, i might try that. i hate paying someone to do something i can do myself. i know the most affective repair would be to clean the old glue but for now i don't see why that wouldnt hold.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Teching In

Location: I live in Mannassas Virginia, but soon will be movin back to North Carolina.

Originally Posted by LS6427
It's easy man.

Go to an auto glass place and buy a tube of urethane. Then go to Home Depot and buy the tool that the tube goes into.....it's like a big glue gun.

Then pop your hatch and take all the interior pieces off. Then take that tube of urethane and just run a new bead all the way around the glass.....or in whatever area you want to re-glue. I would try to get a couple sand bags, heavy ones like 40-50 pounds. Immediately after you put the urethane bead around the glass and body. Shut the hatch and lay the sand bags onto the back glass over night.

When you shut the hatch make sure one of the car door windows in down or a door is open so the air doesn't push out where the new urethane is. Then roll the windows up and let it dry overnight.

Is a $15.00 fix and your time.

OR......an auto glass place will usually charge about $150.00 to remove the glass, clean all the old urethane off and also replace the black moulding around the edge of the glass with a new one.......
Just make sure if you do.....that the work order says that....if they break the glass while taking it out, it's their responsibility to replace it with a new one.
Sme companies won't guarantee it.......Safelite guarantees it and some others will to. Just ask.

Safelite here in North Carolina wont touch it unless I get the whole thing replaced. I have a 98 Z28 and have the same problem with the hatch glass. Let it sit up for the summer and I guess the heat built up and pushed the glass out. I called another glass company and they told me theyd half to look at it and let me know if it could be done. I think I might try the method you mentioned before takin b it to them though. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Default 98 firebird Glass at bottom letting air in when drive last! Stopped to see..

Originally Posted by dkbmxer002
I searched and didn't find any info.. My 99 camaro's rear hatch glass is literally loose..? When I close the hatch you can see it wobble up and down.. I can push from the inside and I can fit a screw driver through the space.. Any ideas? Do I just need to replace the window seal? It only seems loose on the bottom middle part.

And at center bottom of back hatch it goes threw
I Mean u could slide a old school small record. Threw there!
Will the same repair method of getting to home depot and purchasing that glue , Work 4 me ?
Please and Thanks

Quick Reply: 99 z28 rear hatch glass is loose?