General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2000 Camaro Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro Wiper Blades

OK I've read about a million different posts about wiper blades on the f-bodies, and after reading about reverse hooks in the earlier models and problems in the later ones, I still haven't quite found a solid answer. I know that both are 24", but if I go buy 2 24" Rain-X repels will they fit or will they not adhere to the window very well? If theres anyone out there with a 98-02 camaro that has replaced their blades without problems with them not staying on the window, please let me know!

Its a 2000 camaro.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by mhugney
OK I've read about a million different posts about wiper blades on the f-bodies, and after reading about reverse hooks in the earlier models and problems in the later ones, I still haven't quite found a solid answer. I know that both are 24", but if I go buy 2 24" Rain-X repels will they fit or will they not adhere to the window very well? If theres anyone out there with a 98-02 camaro that has replaced their blades without problems with them not staying on the window, please let me know!

Its a 2000 camaro.
My '98 and my '02 both have the same wiper arms and the blades attach the same way. Not sure what you mean about differences between "early" and "late" models, unless you're talking about '93-'97 cars vs. '98-'02 cars. I have never changed wiper blades on a '93-'97 F-body, so I don't know if there is any difference.

What I can tell you about the '98+ models is that the factory issued wiper blades were produced by Bosch, and Bosch makes replacements that fit just as well as the originals (standard metal frame style blades). This is the only brand I have ever used on my 4th gens, and they always fit perfect and stay on the glass for every wipe. I don't recall having any issues even at highway speeds, seems like they have always worked excellent.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My '98 and my '02 both have the same wiper arms and the blades attach the same way. Not sure what you mean about differences between "early" and "late" models, unless you're talking about '93-'97 cars vs. '98-'02 cars. I have never changed wiper blades on a '93-'97 F-body, so I don't know if there is any difference.

What I can tell you about the '98+ models is that the factory issued wiper blades were produced by Bosch, and Bosch makes replacements that fit just as well as the originals (standard metal frame style blades). This is the only brand I have ever used on my 4th gens, and they always fit perfect and stay on the glass for every wipe. I don't recall having any issues even at highway speeds, seems like they have always worked excellent.
Exactly the response i was looking for, thanks!! Yes i was referring to the '93-'97's I believe the hook is upside down or something like that? But i digress, is there a particular Bosch blade you know is good?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Exactly the response i was looking for, thanks!! Yes i was referring to the '93-'97's I believe the hook is upside down or something like that? But i digress, is there a particular Bosch blade you know is good?
The ones I am using on my '02 right now are as follows:

Bosch Excel +

Part #41924

24" blade

UPC: 028851031592

This is the closest blade you can currenty get to the factory original, and they've always worked perfect for me.

For reference, my '98 is a garage queen that still has it's assembly line original blades from 1998, and they are stamped with the Bosch name and are visually almost identical to the blade part number I have listed above.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I highly recommend the PIAA silicone blades for our car. I installed them 8 years (50K miles) ago and just put my first replacement blades in. (probably could have gone longer)

The silicone doesn't go bad over time like regular rubber and in their system it wears down evenly with the windshield, leaving a clear silicone coating. (Just like Rain-X!) So, as an added benefit, they give me the Rain-X type treatment but I don't need to buff the glass.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Smile

The ones I am using on my '02 right now are as follows:

Bosch Excel +

Part #41924

24" blade

UPC: 028851031592

This is the closest blade you can currenty get to the factory original, and they've always worked perfect for me.

For reference, my '98 is a garage queen that still has it's assembly line original blades from 1998, and they are stamped with the Bosch name and are visually almost identical to the blade part number I have listed above.

Hope that helps.
Thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I highly recommend the PIAA silicone blades for our car. I installed them 8 years (50K miles) ago and just put my first replacement blades in. (probably could have gone longer)

The silicone doesn't go bad over time like regular rubber and in their system it wears down evenly with the windshield, leaving a clear silicone coating. (Just like Rain-X!) So, as an added benefit, they give me the Rain-X type treatment but I don't need to buff the glass.
sounds perfect, does it work if the window has already been treated with a rain-x coating? i doubt it would make a difference
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd recommend going with the frameless style as it contours better to the curve of the windshield...

These are Bosch Evolution. They also have the ICON, which is supposedly their "best," but I have those on my TrailBlazer and they don't seem any better than the Evolutions... which don't seem any better than the ACDelco frameless.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I'd recommend going with the frameless style as it contours better to the curve of the windshield...

These are Bosch Evolution. They also have the ICON, which is supposedly their "best," but I have those on my TrailBlazer and they don't seem any better than the Evolutions... which don't seem any better than the ACDelco frameless.
I've experience poor performance in non-freezing temps and poor lifespan from the Bosch ICON and other frameless blades (as compared to the Bosch Excel + traditional framed style) on my winter daily driver. Although, they are nice in the snow/freezing rain since there is no frame to get frozen.

If snow is not a concern, then I would definitely recommend the Excel + version over the frameless, in my experience.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:59 AM
Save the manuals!

sounds perfect, does it work if the window has already been treated with a rain-x coating? i doubt it would make a difference
yep. That's how I was when I put them on.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I've experience poor performance in non-freezing temps and poor lifespan from the Bosch ICON and other frameless blades (as compared to the Bosch Excel + traditional framed style) on my winter daily driver. Although, they are nice in the snow/freezing rain since there is no frame to get frozen.

If snow is not a concern, then I would definitely recommend the Excel + version over the frameless, in my experience.
Interestingly, I find the frameless to be even better in the rain. I ran ACDelco frameless on my '07 TrailBlazer (which is my four-season DD) for two years (which replaced the OE ACD framed). I decided to try the Bosch ICON a couple of months ago. They work great and all, but not any better than the ACD. I guess it just goes to show that opinions are like

FWIW, most (if not all?) new vehicles come with frameless from the factory anymore (like our '12 Malibu).

Long ago I was sworn on Silblade as they did not seem affected by cold weather whatsoever. However, they must have switched their materials as the blades were no longer "winter-proof" (this was like 10 years ago). That's when I made the switch back to OE.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Trico Neoform blades without the frame. 24/22 so they don't overhang the passenger side, no streaks and they hug the windscreen perfectly & give a more modern look. been on there the past 2 winters without any problems.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

I am currently using the Goodyear frameless blades, which basically can only be had at Costco, as far as I know.

They ARE a bargain at $7.99 each, and are the ONLY ones I know of still made here in this here country (even Silblades are made overseas now I beleive ).

I also went for the 22" passenger side blade to stop that 'stick-slap' one gets from the 24" overlap on the windshield frame.

IF I were to go with the Bosch, I would get the Micro Edge Excels (but NOT the Plus) since these are the ONLY ones from them still made in Belgium, versus the rest of their line which comes from China.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I am currently using the Goodyear frameless blades, which basically can only be had at Costco, as far as I know.

They ARE a bargain at $7.99 each, and are the ONLY ones I know of still made here in this here country (even Silblades are made overseas now I beleive ).

I also went for the 22" passenger side blade to stop that 'stick-slap' one gets from the 24" overlap on the windshield frame.

IF I were to go with the Bosch, I would get the Micro Edge Excels (but NOT the Plus) since these are the ONLY ones from them still made in Belgium, versus the rest of their line which comes from China.
I bought these exact same ones but in 22" cause that was all the had. However they sit crooked since the wiper arm isn't parallel to the windshield, still wipe well but you can tell they are off. Did you manage to get them to sit nicely?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterV8
I use Trico Neoform blades without the frame. 24/22 so they don't overhang the passenger side, no streaks and they hug the windscreen perfectly & give a more modern look. been on there the past 2 winters without any problems.
One thing I hate about the frameless blades is the "more modern" look. I prefer the traditional look of the original style frames for these older cars. But either way that's just a matter of opinion.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
This must have happened very recently then. I have two 24" Bosch Excel + [plus] blades that I bought last year as spares, and it says "Made in Belgium" on the back.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
I bought these exact same ones but in 22" cause that was all the had. However they sit crooked since the wiper arm isn't parallel to the windshield, still wipe well but you can tell they are off. Did you manage to get them to sit nicely?
Yes, mine sit perfectly, and do NOT even catch/stick on the windsheild molding on the passenger side.

You CAN adjust the arm angle by loosening the 10mm bolt mounting the arm to the motor shaft (under the plastic cover).

As soon as Rain Beaters switches their assembly/manufacturing from China back to Indiana(??), I am going to try those next since I've heard great things about them.
I believe they offer BOTH old style blades AND the newer beam blades.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM
Save the manuals!

So many responses here that I feel the need to point out that in my day... we used a squeege and stuck our arms out the window - and we liked it!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Another thing that popped into my mind about the frameless blades is some are made for a particular side of the windshield -- even if the same length. For instance, the ICON's I tried on my TrailBlazer are side-specific (22A & 22B).

So many responses here that I feel the need to point out that in my day... we used a squeege and stuck our arms out the window - and we liked it!
Who would have thought that a post on wiper blades would approach two pages
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Let's also not forget the days of a manual push button on the floor to squirt the washer fluid. Ahhhhh...the good old days.

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Another thing that popped into my mind about the frameless blades is some are made for a particular side of the windshield -- even if the same length. For instance, the ICON's I tried on my TrailBlazer are side-specific (22A & 22B).
This is also true of the ICONs for my Cavalier (A & B). I just wish they worked better in that application; their longevity and performance are disappointing on that car.....only advantage I have seen is they are less prone to freezing.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro Wiper Blades