General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Summer storage in humid weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Summer storage in humid weather

I live in Florida and I'm going to new mexico for summer geology field work. I will be leaving my baby in the parking lot for nearly two months.
Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm mostly worried bout flat spots and an acceptable outdoor cushion to park on, also I will have a roommate to start the car up every few days, any other things besides critter repellant and moisture control and outdoor paint protecant. I might just wax her real good and buy cheap white vinyl from Lowes and cover as much as possible.

Thanks yall
Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I will be leaving my baby in the parking lot for nearly two months.....I'm mostly worried bout flat spots and an acceptable outdoor cushion to park on
No need to worry about this. Normal Z-rated street tires will not develop permanent flat spots in just two months. This would only be a potential concern if the car was sitting on competition (non-street) or bias ply tires.

Mine sits for 5-6 months straight every winter, and has been on the current set of tires for 8 years now. All I do is air the tires up to max rated pressure (45psi for the current tires) during storage, and there are no permanent issues in the spring.

also I will have a roommate to start the car up every few days
That will do more harm than good. Most of an engine's wear is at a cold start, so why subject it to all those cold starts when you aren't going to drive it? Not to mention, simply idling the car for short periods like that won't heat the oil enough to burn off moisture that's created by running the engine.

any other things besides critter repellant and moisture control and outdoor paint protecant.
A Tub of Damp-Rid will fit perfectly in the center console cup holder of a 4th gen. You can buy these at Home Depot.

I might just wax her real good and buy cheap white vinyl from Lowes and cover as much as possible.
Covering a car with plastic is a bad idea, especially if it's being stored outside. Either get a proper outdoor cover (that can breath, rather than trapping moisture), or just leave the car uncovered.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I live in Florida and I'm going to new mexico for summer geology field work. I will be leaving my baby in the parking lot for nearly two months.
Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm mostly worried bout flat spots and an acceptable outdoor cushion to park on, also I will have a roommate to start the car up every few days, any other things besides critter repellant and moisture control and outdoor paint protecant. I might just wax her real good and buy cheap white vinyl from Lowes and cover as much as possible.

Thanks yall

If cash permits.....do what I did one year. Park the car in a storage facility inside the bay. It'll be protected against a hurricane and zero sunlight. I think I paid $45.00 a month for a 15x8.... or whatever it was...it fit snuggly but it fit. Locked the door with a padlock.

Check around, might find a good deal.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should I even worry bout the battery at all. The only thing I'm really worried about is bird **** etching in the Paint. I don't really like covers outside, with the amount of wind and sticks and dirt they blow around everyone's cars is bound to get stuck up in there and scratch the **** our the clear. You think a heavy waxing and a watchful eye every few days would be enough.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll have to look around for a garage, I also have a small MC I need to store as well. If anyone has any motorcycle tips as well I'd appreciate it
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Should I even worry bout the battery at all. The only thing I'm really worried about is bird **** etching in the Paint. I don't really like covers outside, with the amount of wind and sticks and dirt they blow around everyone's cars is bound to get stuck up in there and scratch the **** our the clear. You think a heavy waxing and a watchful eye every few days would be enough.
That's why i would never store my car outside for a log time.....bird ****. Its a killer. It sits on the paint for a week in the sun and you'll never get that stain out, especially if its a turd with a lot of acidity in it. Even it costs you $250.00 to store it somewhere....well worth it in my opinion.

I'm a pilot and I go away for extended times. My friend who also flys, left his Vette parked in his driveway when he left for a trip. Came home a month later and found tar droplets on every inch of the car. They decided to redo the streets in his neighborhood. Yes.....they did leave notices everywhere, but that still doesnt give them the right to completely destroy peoples property just because they might be away on a trip. They misted a bunch of people's cars that were not moved....ALL RUINED. He needed to repaint it. Luckily the paving company had to pay for all the cars they fucked up. But only a certain amount towards the paint job, he had to toss in another $1,500 to get it done by a good shop.

Its the things you can't think of that might happen while you're away, then you're screwed.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I think your best option would be to leave the car with RPM WS6 and I for the summer.

We're up in Chicago, which has the perfect climate for summer storage and we can take it around the block every so often to keep the lube oils circulated.

If you don't trust us, I'd just use the poly sheeting as you mentioned above. The best thing is for the car to be indoors, but if you already store it outside, then another two months won't be a big deal. If you do poly, I'd recommend black sheeting so UV can't get through to the interior.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Old 04-26-2013, 03:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LS6427 is right. If you're so worried about your car, put it in a storage unit.

Quick Reply: Summer storage in humid weather