General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car wont start

I have a 2002 trans am that has been in storage for around 4 years. I got it to my house around a year ago and it started rough but ran. I then went on a year long business trip and come back and it will not start. just took battery to the auto parts store to get recharged its 100% changed spark plugs on the easy side waiting for another day to do the hard side. what elts should I do to get the car to run. need help fast because im trying to sell it before winter comes
thanks for all replies Ryan
Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

can you hear the fuel pump kick on??
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Teching In

yes a faint sound coming from the fuel tank it lasts about 1 second before it turns back off
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Judging by you timeline I see nothing about draining the tank and putting fresh fuel into it.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

So it does not turn on completely?
I would say check starter, alternator...
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your gas has gone bad and separated/broken down.

Find the Schrader valve on your fuel rail. use a valve core removal screwdriver and pull the core out. Get a piece of 1/2 inch heater hose or fuel hose that is about 6 feet or so long. Then get a bucket, preferably a 5 gallon one, and run the hose to the bucket where you can see it from the drivers seat. sit in the seat and power cycle the key to start getting the gas into the bucket. DO NOT START THE ENGINE!!!!!
It may take forever, but that is the easiest way to drain it without having to open up your fuel system. When you stop getting fuel, either your tank is low enough that you can now add premium to dilute the rest of the old crap and get it through the system, or your battery is dead again.

Also, check the wires and make sure you clean the battery connections REALLY GOOD for the best contact and most energy transfer.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check to make sure you have pressure at the fuel rail. Ive had fuel pumps that are good, but the lines inside the tank have split from sitting so long.

It is trying to turn over?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Don't forget to try the old "spray some carb cleaner in the intake" trick. Remove the intake hose, open the throttle plate, spray 3-5 seconds worth of carb cleaner in there, put the intake hose back on, see if it will fire. This will help you figure out if it's a fuel or spark issue.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
Your gas has gone bad and separated/broken down.

Find the Schrader valve on your fuel rail. use a valve core removal screwdriver and pull the core out. Get a piece of 1/2 inch heater hose or fuel hose that is about 6 feet or so long. Then get a bucket, preferably a 5 gallon one, and run the hose to the bucket where you can see it from the drivers seat. sit in the seat and power cycle the key to start getting the gas into the bucket. DO NOT START THE ENGINE!!!!!
It may take forever, but that is the easiest way to drain it without having to open up your fuel system. When you stop getting fuel, either your tank is low enough that you can now add premium to dilute the rest of the old crap and get it through the system, or your battery is dead again.

Also, check the wires and make sure you clean the battery connections REALLY GOOD for the best contact and most energy transfer.
This is good advice for draining old gas. However, you can just jump the fuel pump relay with a wire instead of cycling the key on and off to drain the gas.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My money would be on the injectors being stuck as well as the bad fuel...
Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lrn2Go
Don't forget to try the old "spray some carb cleaner in the intake" trick. Remove the intake hose, open the throttle plate, spray 3-5 seconds worth of carb cleaner in there, put the intake hose back on, see if it will fire. This will help you figure out if it's a fuel or spark issue.
No... No you don't want to do this.... While this works on a carburetor this is not to be done on EFI, especially with a plastic intake. The carb cleaner/starting fluid will puddle up in the intake manifold and can ignite and turn the intake manifold into a bomb.

Hence why throttle body cleaner is different from carb cleaner and a can of starting fluid says to NOT use on EFI for a reason.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awww come on man, he is just trying to eliminate some of his competition!! LOL
Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
This is good advice for draining old gas. However, you can just jump the fuel pump relay with a wire instead of cycling the key on and off to drain the gas.

Yeah, that will work too, I GUESS!! LOL
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Teching In

thanks for the advice. waiting for a buddy to come over to help me do some of this work draining the old gas and hopefully that works. try and nock that out this week depending on how work is. cant I just siphon the gas outa the tank?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will get almost all of it out, if the car is sitting level, and you use the pump.
That is what it was designed to do.
Get as much out as possible.

The siphoning wont get it all out, it will only get where the hose lands
and even then you risk getting it stuck or breaking small pieces
of the hose off in the tank.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I did what BIGED said to drain the gas. drained it to empty on the gauge then put 5 gallons of premium in it. cranks over strong and still doesn't start. I feel as if there is plenty of power from the battery because its cranking strong. but it still doesn't fire. I also put the new gas in and then drained some more out the way BIGED said. any more ideas? is there a way to clean the injectors so I don't have to buy new ones as I am trying to get this car ready to sell
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you check to see if the coils are hitting? pull a plug wire off and lay it within half an inch of metal, BUT NOT CONTACTING IT. Crank the car over. If you hear the pop from the coil to the ground it is firing, but not fueling. You might be able to score a set of injectors from a u-pull it place near you for WAY cheaper than new. Usually those vehicles were running within the last 6 months or so and the injectors are fine.

One other thing I just thought of....

One of the oil change places in South Carolina had a deal they would hook to the intake manifold on fuel injected vehicles. It was a REALLY STOUT cleaner/solvent mix that would replace the gas running the car. They had to locate the fuel pump fuse and pull it out and start the vehicle with this can of stuff going into the fuel rail... It would send some of the nastiest and ugliest clouds of gunk out the tailpipe of cars you ever saw!! But EVERY customer who came back for their next oil change would BRAG on how much better the car ran, and smoother. It was supposed to scour the inside of the injector and just scrub it spotless for the best fuel flow through the injector. What it was or if it is still available or not, I have no clue. This was a long time ago also.

Last edited by BigEd_72455; 09-11-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
Did you check to see if the coils are hitting? pull a plug wire off and lay it within half an inch of metal, BUT NOT CONTACTING IT. Crank the car over. If you hear the pop from the coil to the ground it is firing, but not fueling. You might be able to score a set of injectors from a u-pull it place near you for WAY cheaper than new. Usually those vehicles were running within the last 6 months or so and the injectors are fine.

One other thing I just thought of....

One of the oil change places in South Carolina had a deal they would hook to the intake manifold on fuel injected vehicles. It was a REALLY STOUT cleaner/solvent mix that would replace the gas running the car. They had to locate the fuel pump fuse and pull it out and start the vehicle with this can of stuff going into the fuel rail... It would send some of the nastiest and ugliest clouds of gunk out the tailpipe of cars you ever saw!! But EVERY customer who came back for their next oil change would BRAG on how much better the car ran, and smoother. It was supposed to scour the inside of the injector and just scrub it spotless for the best fuel flow through the injector. What it was or if it is still available or not, I have no clue. This was a long time ago also.
I seen the cleaner your talking about online but the car does not run so will it still work? ill check and make sure everything is fireing tonite afrer work. Is the fuel injectors the problem were thinking?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Teching In

well I took the fuel rails off and sprayed them out with injector cleaner and cleaned each injector till it sprayed with all 4 strong streams. and it took a second but it started idled a lil loopy for a few mins but then ran great took for a lil ride heard a squealing seemed like it was the power steering being low on fluid took back to my house shut the car off and tried to start it back up and wont start again. I do not know what could be wrong. new spark plugs cleaned the fuel out put new fuel in cleaned each injector indivulaly until they each sprayed nice clean and powerful but still does not start.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rbreith
well I took the fuel rails off and sprayed them out with injector cleaner and cleaned each injector till it sprayed with all 4 strong streams. and it took a second but it started idled a lil loopy for a few mins but then ran great took for a lil ride heard a squealing seemed like it was the power steering being low on fluid took back to my house shut the car off and tried to start it back up and wont start again. I do not know what could be wrong. new spark plugs cleaned the fuel out put new fuel in cleaned each injector indivulaly until they each sprayed nice clean and powerful but still does not start.
You need to figure out what you are losing. It is either fuel or spark.

Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if the fuel pump is working?
Have you checked for spark at the wires/spark plugs?

Those are 2 very simple tests which will at least tell you what you are missing.

Quick Reply: car wont start