General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

my car will not start after it got very cold here in northeast.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car will not start after it got very cold here in northeast.

My clutch went a month a go. I been driving another car. I was starting car 1 time a week for 20 min intervals. The car has a little over half gas. The other day battery was completly dead. Figured the cold so i jumped the car. Went to turn over and cranked so slow like rrr pause 2 seconds rrr again. I got it to start and let it warm up. Engine ran nice and smooth. I went to jump ot again to start the next weekand same issue but no start. Does it sound like the battery cause it is to dead to fully crank? Or another issue. I just replaced alternator recently. Could it be the clutch relay switch since my clutch is toast. Explained best i can. Ty dave
Old 12-16-2013, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhctss
My clutch went a month a go. I been driving another car. I was starting car 1 time a week for 20 min intervals. The car has a little over half gas. The other day battery was completly dead. Figured the cold so i jumped the car. Went to turn over and cranked so slow like rrr pause 2 seconds rrr again. I got it to start and let it warm up. Engine ran nice and smooth. I went to jump ot again to start the next weekand same issue but no start. Does it sound like the battery cause it is to dead to fully crank? Or another issue. I just replaced alternator recently. Could it be the clutch relay switch since my clutch is toast. Explained best i can. Ty dave
Probably your battery. It doesn't take many days of not running in this cold to kill a battery. You should get a $5 battery tender from harbor freight to plug in your car during the winter. I got one last year and my battery was perfect come spring time.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM
Launching!

Had battery charged. Sure enough started right up. I never had that issue where couldnt jump. I will keep battery inside and start car 2 times a week until i get the clutch put in. I have a brand new 2004 zo6 clutch just waiting to put in within next month
Old 12-16-2013, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhctss
Had battery charged. Sure enough started right up. I never had that issue where couldnt jump. I will keep battery inside and start car 2 times a week until i get the clutch put in. I have a brand new 2004 zo6 clutch just waiting to put in within next month
Seriously, just get one of these from harbor freight. Hook it up to your battery and plug it in the wall. Your battery will be fine until next spring. Better than pulling it and putting it in every week or whatever.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery...tic-69594.html
Old 12-16-2013, 06:55 PM
Launching!

I will thanks. Glad it wasnt something else.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

also if you have a battery that has liquid in it with removable caps, pull the caps on and check the acid levels. if it is low then you battery will discharge alot faster, just fill up each cell with distilled water, and then throw it on the battery tender till it is full install and enjoy your like new battery.

ALSO, clean the outside battery with some type of degreaser as the battery acid builds up on the outside of the battery and can cause electrical problems. I have had the same battery in my car since i put it in back on 2006 when i bought my trans am using this method. Don't forget to clean the battery posts (or holes in an F-body's case) when the battery connects to the cables.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
Seriously, just get one of these from harbor freight. Hook it up to your battery and plug it in the wall. Your battery will be fine until next spring. Better than pulling it and putting it in every week or whatever.

http://www.harborfreight.com/battery...tic-69594.html
Hey man.....is there any risk of a fire starting with one of those? I have to leave for a 6 week contract trip in Dubai this coming Sunday. I'm gonna put my car into a storage bay.

Or.....can I just get that battery tender and put it on the battery outside of the car and it will still keep it charged?

Makes me nervous leaving it like that for 6 weeks with the battery in the car.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Hey man.....is there any risk of a fire starting with one of those? I have to leave for a 6 week contract trip in Dubai this coming Sunday. I'm gonna put my car into a storage bay.

Or.....can I just get that battery tender and put it on the battery outside of the car and it will still keep it charged?

Makes me nervous leaving it like that for 6 weeks with the battery in the car.

I use a battery tender made by "Battery Tender" I use their Battery Tender Plus and had mine connected for 9 months strait when i went oversees. Just go to Amazon and search for "Battery Tender Plus" and that is what i have. i really like it and have had zero issues with it for the last couple years i used it. It will be the very first one, or you can get the Battery Tender Jr, it is about $30 cheaper but i dont know how well it will work as i have not used it. I just picked up a 2 port one from them to keep my Ducati and T/A on a Tender though the winter months.

There is no need to worry with a quality battery tender as they automatically switch to float mode and dont charge it the whole time like you think it does. i left my battery in the car the whole time. There is no need to remove it. Just think of it as if you were idling the car and the alt was charging it, same concept with the motor off.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
I use a battery tender made by "Battery Tender" I use their Battery Tender Plus and had mine connected for 9 months strait when i went oversees. Just go to Amazon and search for "Battery Tender Plus" and that is what i have. i really like it and have had zero issues with it for the last couple years i used it. It will be the very first one, or you can get the Battery Tender Jr, it is about $30 cheaper but i dont know how well it will work as i have not used it. I just picked up a 2 port one from them to keep my Ducati and T/A on a Tender though the winter months.
Cool. But it's just a trickle charger, right? So if I wanted to remove the battery and put it on the ground it will still keep the battery charged while I'm gone just the same, right?

Dual port model is a good idea......

Old 12-17-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool. But it's just a trickle charger, right? So if I wanted to remove the battery and put it on the ground it will still keep the battery charged while I'm gone just the same, right?

Dual port model is a good idea......

I had mine on my car in my garage all last year and since November of this year without issue.

However, I don't see why you can't pull your battery and keep it charged like that. As long as you can clamp the connectors to something on the battery since these are side post batteries.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lt1pwr1
I had mine on my car in my garage all last year and since November of this year without issue.

However, I don't see why you can't pull your battery and keep it charged like that. As long as you can clamp the connectors to something on the battery since these are side post batteries.
This is a good point, you can pick up a pair of side post terminals that screw into your battery for pretty cheap. Dont forget to clean and top off the water to the acid cells before you store it. Either way is fine, if you get piece of mind from charging it outside the car, there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

Cool......yeah, I'll get one on Thursday. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool......yeah, I'll get one on Thursday. Thanks.

Autozone should carry the Battery Tender Jr
Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Banned

Cool, thanks.

Quick Reply: my car will not start after it got very cold here in northeast.