General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Truck alternator LS1 mod belt issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck alternator LS1 mod belt issue

I just did the truck alternator mod to my 01 Camaro and the belt was very difficult to put back on. After a few minutes of working the belt onto the tension pulley I got it on there but noticed the tension pulley only moved back a little. I checked my belt route to make sure it was on correctly and noticed the edge of the belt is rubbing the top right corner of the alternator. Is this normal?
The alternator came from summit racing part # TFF-8237
Old 02-27-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the issue where the belt grooves would not line up. The truck pulley moves the grooves outward about 1/16", You need to put the original pulley from the car alternator onto your new truck one.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Just got done switching out the pulleys and the belt is still rubbing against the alternator some. I noticed the back bracket was still on so I removed that too hoping that was the issue. Here's a few pictures of the belt and alternator

Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Is this the same alternator as the Escalade one everyone installs on LS1 4th gens??
(Do you have to swap the pulley on those as well?)
Old 02-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Teching In

As far as I know yes, its the gm AD244 style alternator
Old 02-28-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Which pulley is on the alternator in the first pic? If that is the truck one, that is a different pulley than the one that came on my new truck one.

The truck alternator will not use the small bracket on the back like the original f body one.

The only problem that I came across swapping to the truck one was that the truck pulley had the grooves off a bit and that was chewing up the side of the belt. I swapped pulleys for the f-body one and everything lined up perfectly. So the belt is rubbing the alternator case? It looks a bit twisted in the pic.

I can post a pc of the truck's pulley, it is different than the one in the first pic for sure.

The alternator that I put on was a new Duralast Gold DLG 1923-16-4 I think from Autozone. Been awhile, but I assume I purchased it for a 2006 Silverado so if needed, I can pull it off and use it on my truck in a pinch. It's the 145 amp one.

There is an insert in the mounting bracket that is moveable if I remember correctly, but the bolts should re-align it all up. Can't picture it at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I studied the pic again, it looks like the belt is rubbing only one side of the alternator case (pic 1) So this would tell me that it's crooked since I see big air gap on the one side. Either it's not bolted all the way tightly, or the bracket could be tweaked. Is this a brand new one or a reman?
Old 03-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Teching In

I took all the bolts out this morning and re-tightened them. One thing I had to keep doing was tighten the center bolt and then tighten up the other 2 again until the center bolt wouldn't move anymore. That ended up fixing the issue, Thanks for helping me with this!
Old 03-01-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

no problem. cheapest fix you will ever make

Quick Reply: Truck alternator LS1 mod belt issue