General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

**Need Help** flashing service engine soon light and running rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Need Help** flashing service engine soon light and running rough

Hey guys. I have a 99 Ws6 (91,000 miles). Just wondering if anyone has any insight into what might be going on. Im not new to engines (built plenty in the past) but this is my first ls1. Out of nowhere my service engine soon light starts flashing and the motor is running REALLY rough. Has a top end sound that seems like its coming from under the intake manifold. Could be a sticking lifter but doesn't necessarily sound like it. Doesn't sound like any loose rocker sound I've heard either. Definitely not a bottom end sound. I'm thinking it could be a misfire, but it has a mechanical "thud" sound every revolution. I do know the stock pushrods can bend if revved too high but i was just cruising when this started, and Im not familiar with what a bent pushrod sounds like in an ls1. I am currently cleaning the spark plugs, making sure all plug wire and coil pack connections are clean and connected but this doesn't sound like a normal misfire,nor does it sound like a loose ticking top end noise, It sounds like a mechanical thud once per revolution from under the intake manifold. I am almost 100% confident its not coming from under either valve cover. Does anyone out there have any experience with these symptoms. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Last edited by DrFlathead; 05-06-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Ok, just checked it out again. Definitely not the ignition. Its for sure under the intake manifold. "thud" may have not been the best way to describe it. Its more of a VERY pronounced ticking with an ocasional much louder metal slap sound (especially when I rev it a tiny bit off idle) and the engine shakes VERY much especially at low rpms. Does this seem like a bent pushrod to anyone?

Last edited by DrFlathead; 05-06-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flashing SES is telling you it's misfiring.

Rockers are known to lose needle bearings, for no
good reason. What you find in your next oil change
might be interesting.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See what the code is- should tell you which cylinder is misfiring. Swap coil packs to rule that out then go from there.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Why don't people scan the code first? if your getting a light see what the computer says.

Sounds a lot like when I had a bad coil pack on my v6, was just driving along and when I pushed the gas a little harder to get up to highway speed the whole car started shaking and running like crap with the SES flashing and it ended up being the coil pack, tested it by swapping out another coil pack from the cars original motor and the misfire went away, so I opted to do all new coil packs the whole way thru and haven't had a misfire code since.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. I just bought an obd2 code reader so Ill see what the error is... Daniel, when you had the misfire did it make any kind of clanking sound. Mine is and its pretty loud.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

it made some noises but it was a few months ago now so I don't really remember exactly what the sound was like.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only time I've ever seen the flashing SES light on my car I found I'd broken a ringland and lost a rod and piston. Rebuild followed.

I hope you fare better than I did.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 PM

Flashing light is due to engine missfire cheak the plus and wires maybe a worn out opti spark may cause this or a timing issue
Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Unfortunately got the flashing engine light and i checked the code and it was engine misfire cylinder #2,so i swapped coilpacks and still the same code,so what can i check now before i remove the valve cover?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you swap the wire too. Pull the plug. What does it look like?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

swapped the wire ,haven't had time to do the plug,i'' get it done tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hypno92
Flashing light is due to engine missfire cheak the plus and wires maybe a worn out opti spark may cause this or a timing issue
Really???
Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^
Old 05-22-2014, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Didn't realize my LS1 had optispark ignition, LOL

So I ran my scan tool and came back with cylinder 4 misfire.
I had a hunch it was a broken pushrod or a stuck lifter.
I popped off the valve cover and found out my hunch was right.
Broken exhaust pushrod on cylinder 4.

The top third of the pushrod snapped clean in half and wallered out the pushrod hole a little bit, and somehow made its way down in to the lifter valley. Thankfully I was able to get the piece out and after careful inspection looking down the pushrod hole in the head I could see that there was no damage, nor were there fragments down in there. I dropped in a new $6 Melling pushrod, torqued the rocker down to 22lb/ft, buttoned it back up and its running good as new.Changed the oil and no shavings of any kind. Im pretty sure I got REALLY lucky. Could have been a lot worse.
Attached Thumbnails **Need Help** flashing service engine soon light and running rough-img_20140519_210516.jpg   **Need Help** flashing service engine soon light and running rough-img_20140519_210430.jpg   **Need Help** flashing service engine soon light and running rough-img_20140519_210425.jpg  

Last edited by DrFlathead; 05-22-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrFlathead
Didn't realize my LS1 had optispark ignition, LOL

So I ran my scan tool and came back with cylinder 4 misfire.
I had a hunch it was a broken pushrod or a stuck lifter.
I popped off the valve cover and found out my hunch was right.
Broken exhaust pushrod on cylinder 4.

The top third of the pushrod snapped clean in half and wallered out the pushrod hole a little bit, and somehow made its way down in to the lifter valley. Thankfully I was able to get the piece out and after careful inspection looking down the pushrod hole in the head I could see that there was no damage, nor were there fragments down in there. I dropped in a new $6 Melling pushrod, torqued the rocker down to 22lb/ft, buttoned it back up and its running good as new.Changed the oil and no shavings of any kind. Im pretty sure I got REALLY lucky. Could have been a lot worse.
Wow, so there was a major mechanical failure but you still managed to dodge a bullet.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you got extremely lucky
Old 05-26-2014, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

so i finally had time to take out my plug and i see nothing wrong with it,so do i do a compression test or just take off my valve cover and look for a bent or broken pushrod or anything else,really don't want to start my car cause i probably won't be as lucky as drflathead and by the way why did you have a hunch it was a pushrod,did you have any noise.thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

drflathead is there a reason why you wouldn't change all your pushrods since you have the valve cover off,because if i remove my valve cover i don't want to do this again what a pain.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frisco88
drflathead is there a reason why you wouldn't change all your pushrods since you have the valve cover off,because if i remove my valve cover i don't want to do this again what a pain.
Changing pushrods is not too difficult. Just FYI, when I had a bent pushrod, it made a noise. I'm not sure that's always the case though. Did you change your plugs already?

Quick Reply: **Need Help** flashing service engine soon light and running rough