General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

SeaFoam Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SeaFoam Question?

I notice that alot of people reccomend changing your oil after pouring this through the vaccum line and letting it sit. On the side of the can it reccomends pouring 1/3 pint in through the vaccum line and let it sit for 5 minutes. I did this and let it restart and it smoked for a bit and than cleared out just as the directions said. It also says you can pour this in the fuel tank or add it to your oil but never mentions that you have to change your oil.

This product is petroleum based so I don't know why people reccomend chaning their oil after using it. Any insights?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

do a search (sea foam)
Old 05-26-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done a search and people reccomend changing the oil however the bottle claims nothing about changing the oil in fact it can be used as an additive.
On the other hand GM Top End Engine cleaner is obviously a much harsher substance and the oil is polluted to a farther extent and therfore the oil should be changed shortly afterwards.

My original question was why do people reccomend it to be changed with Seafoam when I only let it sit for the reccomended 5 minutes, thats no where near long enough to get pass the rings like it would be if you let it sit overnight.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used it on my truck. I ran a can of it through with about a half tank. I pulled the intake off about 2 tanks later and I was shocked at how everything looked.

http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/tru...s/100_0965.JPG
http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/tru...s/100_0966.JPG
http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/tru...s/100_0964.JPG
Old 05-26-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah that's a legite question for sure because I've known people to use Seafoam and didn't bother changing the oil. I'm about to run it though when I get my catch can but that'll be around oil changing time anyway.
At any rate, TTT for ya. Maybe someone can give an explanation?

Justin
Old 05-26-2004, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tttttt
Old 05-27-2004, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Alex--

I tend to agree with you. If you are not pouring it in with the oil, I see no reason why you would have to immediately change your oil. It should not be getting past the rings. I have run a couple bottles in the past and let the car sit overnight with Seafoam in it. I feel that this does a better job, but I also change the oil afterwards. Typically, I'll do it right before a scheduled oil change anyhow.

I just wouldn't feel comfortable pouring it in the crankcase. To me, it seems that it would change the dynamics of your oil.

-Jason
Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPPPPP I want to know about the changing of the oil as well.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer
I used it on my truck. I ran a can of it through with about a half tank. I pulled the intake off about 2 tanks later and I was shocked at how everything looked.

http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/tru...s/100_0965.JPG
http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/tru...s/100_0966.JPG
http://bettie.homeip.net/atvpics/tru...s/100_0964.JPG
Hi
First, the links did not work for me - From your posting, I could not tell if the shock was good or bad. Can add a couple of words on what shock was.
Thanks
Bill
Old 08-29-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's becuase I revived this post from over a year ago. I thought it was just a couple months old oh well...still need answers.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason it is advisable to change your oil after using this stuff is that all the dirt you are breaking loose from inside your motor is being picked up in your oil. You change your oil afterwards to get rid of all the junk.

How quickly you do this would depend on how quickly the process took. If you dump Seafoam in you'd likely drive only a short while afterwards before changing your oil. If you run it through your gas tank you could drive further before changing your oil.

Some people would change their oil six times in a month before they felt clean again. Others would wait until the next scheduled oil change.

Your choice.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Why do you have a problem changing the oil after a seafoam treatment?

I assume it is a saftey measure... the chemicals in Seafoam could dilute/remove the oil film - that is what they are designed to do in your intake manifold; right?

If you were selling this product and you put a notice on the lable that you should change the oil after you use the product, people may not buy your product. That's pretty scarry right?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Unless seafoam was poured into the combustion chambers and allowed to soak overnight, I don't see how oil contamination could occur. The usual way to treat the top end w/ a cleaner is to remove the pcv hose behind the throttle body and let manifold vac pull it into the intake. Doing it this way does not let the seafoam remain in liquid form (gets burned up in the combustion chambers). Even flooding the engine by rapidly pouring seafoam in will not leave a large amount of it on top of the pistons (which are at high temps anyway). Either way I look at it, I do not see a significant amount of cleaner running down the piston skirts and ending up in the oilpan.

I feel the most "damage" that seafoam could potentially do would be to the cats and o2 sensors that are being coated with the broken up carbon deposits.

That being said, I wait to use seafoam until I'm at my oil change interval.