General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Unknown Rattling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Unknown Rattling Sound

Hi Guys. I'm new to the forum. I have a problem that has been driving me crazy for a long time. I have a rattling sound that is coming from the rear. I'm pretty confident it is coming from the driver's side area, but I'm not 100% certain. I looked at it myself and could not find anything. I also had a mechanic drive it and after hearing the rattle we lifted it up. Everything is TIGHT! Sway bar links, shocks, shields..... The trunk looks solid. The spare tire and jack also are firmly in place. This may be my imagination, but it appears that this rattle only exists in dry conditions. During or after a light rain, it doesn't do it. But like I said, maybe I'm crazy. Also, I can only hear this in slow driving over small bumps and road imperfections. We're talking like 5-20 mph driving. The rattle is pretty hard to describe. It is not loud nor is it a horrible sound, but nevertheless there is definitely a rattle once it hits a bump and only when it hits a bump. Any ideas? This is driving me crazy.

2001 Trans Am WS6 6 speed
Old 10-21-2016, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a video, so we can hear the sound?
Old 10-21-2016, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'll take a video and hopefully it will be do it, but my smartphone is pretty crappy. Not sure how clear the audio will be.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by michaelhawk
Can you post a video, so we can hear the sound?
This is the best I could do today. The last seconds you can hear a pretty good rattle or two. It sounds like metal on metal to me. Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Voice 002.mp3 (671.0 KB, 275 views)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know You said you had everything checked out but it sounds exactly like the rattle I had which turned out to be the panhard bar bushings - specifically the axle end connection rather than the body connection.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001ws6ft
This is the best I could do today. The last seconds you can hear a pretty good rattle or two. It sounds like metal on metal to me. Thanks
This might be a silly / dumb question but have you checked (and I'm dead serious about this.) to make sure your rear wheels are tightly secured to the vehicle? Just go by them with a torque wrench. I know you said you checked the shocks but that can be done from the hatch without removing the wheel. If the wheel is loose (even alittle) it will make alot of noise. I had rattling and knocking in the rear once, turns out one of my rear tires was loose.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

the wheels are tight. Everything seems tight. I"m pretty sure it must be a stupid bushing somewhere. I'm going to replace the panhard bushing and work from there. I'm fairly sure it must be the panhard bushing.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would double check those shields. Mine was tight, but rubbing on the exhaust in 1 tiny area and caused me a hard to track rattle.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Remove the nuts on the top of the rear shocks and check the bushing centering. The bushings wear and move from center causing the shock mounting stud to contact the body. Wet conditions lube the stud and quiet the noise. Every Fbody I owned developed this noise after about 75k. I center the shock and replace the top bushing with a new non factory bushing. The factory bushings are very soft . New bushing will be very stiff and won't let the shock move off center and contact the body.............................................. ..........................

1st time this happened to me I spent about 10hrs trying to find the noise. Was always quiet after a car wash or in the rain.

Quick Reply: Unknown Rattling Sound