General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default turn signal switch

Wipers work, blinkers work, only issue is I can't turn on my high beams, it won't click. Sometimes if I put left blinker on I can get it to click, also ifbl I smack it back quick it will turn on high beams, what all do I need to replace? The turn signal switch or the combo switch thing? Also any write-ups would be appreciated
2000 trans am
After taking off the little cover and seeing the headlight switch, if I pressed on it and held it to the steering column the headlights clicked on and off fine but when I let go the headlight switch moves just enough that it can't click. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Lt1slowerbird; 04-11-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The high beam switch can get loose and wiggle it's way down the steering shaft. I used a zip tie to pull it back up towards the steering wheel so the high beams would click again

Also related when that switch couldn't touch the high beam metal rod my cruise control wouldnt work. Once I got the high beam switch to work the cruise worked again

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-11-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The high beam switch can get loose and wiggle it's way down the steering shaft. I used a zip tie to pull it back up towards the steering wheel so the high beams would click again

Also related when that switch couldn't touch the high beam metal rod my cruise control would work. Once I got the high beam switch to work the cruise worked again
Mine is doing the same thing as the OP's. Did you have to take apart the entire steering column to fix this?
Old 04-11-2017, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Mine works with pressure not towards the wheel itself but towards the steering column. Imnnot sure what to do or try. I'd hate to have a black ziptie running around my steering column
Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt1slowerbird
After taking off the little cover and seeing the headlight switch
FYI - It sounds like you are working with the wiper switch, which is the device behind the small cover that the turn signal stalk sockets directly into.

That stalk and wiper switch activate a rod that runs down the steering column. The rod intersects the actual high beam switch, which is attached to the base of the steering column behind the panels under the dash.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

If you look at what the rod connects into behind that there is a rod thing that moves in and out when you try to activate headlights. I'll try to get a picture.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
Mine is doing the same thing as the OP's. Did you have to take apart the entire steering column to fix this?
No, you just need to take off the lower dash panels to look up into the column areas

Along the left side of the colum, try to engage the high beams and you should see a metal rod moving. Follow the rod down to the switch and feel where it is suppose to sit in the switch. It should be tight and sitting in the switch. If it is loosely in the switch it will cause the high beams not to engage

Getting to the bolts is trucky, I think they are a 7mm bolt at the front and rear of the switch. If your lucky you can slide the switch by hand to pull it up towards the column. There is a hole on the switch not used that I looped a zip tie to in order to pull it up on the column

I think this picture is with the column support bar under the dash loose

View from under the dash looking up

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-11-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I have no idea how to get to the bolts. Getting pretty angry lol
Old 04-11-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

In the picture from the bottom, you can see two metal braces. The big lower one is basically a crash cage, the higher small one holds the colum up. Those braces shouldn't be too difficult to come off and it will lower the column for easier acess
Old 04-17-2017, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I think I understand it now, the turn signal stalk is attached to a lever, when you pull the stalk it pushes the lever into the highbeam switch and engages / disengages the beams..and as suspected mine doesn't look to be fully contacting. How do I pull it back up? Here I made a video of what its doing...

The following users liked this post:
randyc411 (09-01-2019)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

My recollection is that the switch at the end of the rod is where the "click" comes from. So, if it isn't working when you press it by hand and you aren't getting the "click", then that switch may just be bad.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
So I think I understand it now, the turn signal stalk is attached to a lever, when you pull the stalk it pushes the lever into the highbeam switch and engages / disengages the beams..and as suspected mine doesn't look to be fully contacting. How do I pull it back up? Here I made a video of what its doing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzTpLJSamjo

It's not like I didn't just describe how to do that in every response in this thread
Old 04-17-2017, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
My recollection is that the switch at the end of the rod is where the "click" comes from. So, if it isn't working when you press it by hand and you aren't getting the "click", then that switch may just be bad.
It seems to click when I push it by hand, just not with the lever.

Originally Posted by chrysler kid

It's not like I didn't just describe how to do that in every response in this thread
Mine doesn't appear to be loose enough where I can wiggle it back up so I wanted to make sure that those two 7mm bolts you described would need to be loosened and then the mechanism would need to be slid up the column and then retighten the bolts..is that right?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah.

There is a little slack in the rod itself so it should always contact the switch, if the switch moves too far away the lever cant push the rod down far enough to get the switch to click

You have to loosen the 3 bolts and slide the switch slightly higher up on the column

Quick Reply: turn signal switch