General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering wheel swap

The car is a 1999 SS. It had the steering wheel without the radio controls. I ordered one with the radio controls like my 2000 SS has. Well there is/um WAS a spacer for the newer style steering wheels so I cut that off and the radio steering wheel went right on.

Excuse my lack of knowledge. I have two questions.

1. The air bag. Can I successfully splice the airbag wires together. The old style plugs directly into the back of the steering wheel and the newer one has a pigtail with a lock on it. Can I cut a pigtail from another car and splice it successfully without causing an airbag mishap?

2. The horn spring wire. I have no idea where that came from or where that goes. Can someone give some insight? It just pulled out with a spring around it. I may have broken it.
Attached Thumbnails Steering wheel swap-20170720_204326.jpg   Steering wheel swap-20170720_233733.jpg  
Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ssdungeon
1. The air bag. Can I successfully splice the airbag wires together. The old style plugs directly into the back of the steering wheel and the newer one has a pigtail with a lock on it. Can I cut a pigtail from another car and splice it successfully without causing an airbag mishap?
They can be spliced, but I'd recommend having a dealer do it. They have the special splicing materials, crimpers, etc. for these wires. (There is a special factory manual and procedure for this.) At very least, I would use someone who has a GM Wire repair kit and knows how to use it.

BTW - Odd that you have this problem. I have a 1999 and the plug I have is like you describe for your new wheel.

2. The horn spring wire. I have no idea where that came from or where that goes. Can someone give some insight? It just pulled out with a spring around it. I may have broken it.
You likely (98% sure) broke the socket it goes into. This is a part of the turn signal cam. This is a $8 part that you can get from any auto parts store, but you have to take the column lock plate apart to get to it. (See instructions in the stickies.)

3) What about the clock spring? Don't you need a new one to handle the wires for the controls???
Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
They can be spliced, but I'd recommend having a dealer do it. They have the special splicing materials, crimpers, etc. for these wires. (There is a special factory manual and procedure for this.) At very least, I would use someone who has a GM Wire repair kit and knows how to use it.

BTW - Odd that you have this problem. I have a 1999 and the plug I have is like you describe for your new wheel.

You likely (98% sure) broke the socket it goes into. This is a part of the turn signal cam. This is a $8 part that you can get from any auto parts store, but you have to take the column lock plate apart to get to it. (See instructions in the stickies.)

3) What about the clock spring? Don't you need a new one to handle the wires for the controls???

The 1998 and 99 camaro use different plugs than the 00+

The best solution is to buy an airbag from a Monte Carlo, it will bolt and plug right in.

There is no adapter available I'm aware of, but there are detailed instructions on how to add the steering wheel controls on a 98-99 car.

I'm running a base model 2002 camaro wheel without radio controls. I had the air bag light tuned out
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default I figured it out.

I figured it out. So the wheel came from a Monte carlo not an fbody the only difference is the airbag connector. I have a TA airbag on it now until my camaro airbag arrives this week. No splicing... that was too much work.

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
The 1998 and 99 camaro use different plugs than the 00+

The best solution is to buy an airbag from a Monte Carlo, it will bolt and plug right in.

There is no adapter available I'm aware of, but there are detailed instructions on how to add the steering wheel controls on a 98-99 car.

I'm running a base model 2002 camaro wheel without radio controls. I had the air bag light tuned out
Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Save the manuals!

I figured it out. So the wheel came from a Monte carlo not an fbody the only difference is the airbag connector. I have a TA airbag on it now until my camaro airbag arrives this week. No splicing... that was too much work.
Did you address the clock spring so you can get wires through the column to the new radio controls you are putting in?
Old 08-01-2017, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default The look

Actually i dont care about the radio controls at all. The other steering wheel looks like a big pillow. Its fugly to me. My 2000 SS had this steering wheel it looks better to me at least. It has more character.

i am now researching on how to replace/install the born spring. I need the horn..lol
Old 08-01-2017, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The horn spring contact just sits in the horn cam and is held in when you bolt down the air bag, there's nothing to plug in.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nonono, you need the air bag for a 98-99 Chevy venture or Monte Carlo. The 2000+ camaro air bag is an inset male connector, and the 98 wheel needs the female connector (I might have that backwards)

My stock horn connectors still worked when I did the wheel swap, I believe my wheel came with them on it and it plugged right in to my factory horn cable

Last edited by chrysler kid; 08-02-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by wssix99
Step #17 shows the part that is broken for you and needs to be replaced: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

Quick Reply: Steering wheel swap