General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Help with low voltage at Fuse post 2000 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help with low voltage at Fuse post 2000 Trans Am

I'm frustrated to no end with this issue. I have a new battery, new battery cables, checked all the grounds in the engine bay and inside the passenger area. Grounds are all tight and secure so I'm pulling my hair out at this point. I have pulled the alternator and starter down too obviously when changing the cables so I double checked all of those connections. I read 12.4 volts at the battery but when I measure the voltage at the post by the fuse block it shows 1.3 volts. I can't understand how it can drop from 12 volts to that in only a few feet of new cable? What am I over looking or what should I look for? Stock cable setup and fuse block setup so nothing has changed there.

Symptoms are intermittent and all over the board. When it starts messing up all the dash instruments and inside lights blink or shut off completely. SOMETIMES I can turn the headlight switch and everything will come back to life. Has all the symptoms of a ground issue but I have checked every single ground that's posted here. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I should add that at this point I have no power to anything. With 1 volt at the fuse block post that makes sense though...
Old 08-02-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you removed the red silicon from around the terminal wire to inspect inside for corrosion or a cracked cable at the battery?
Old 08-02-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well the cables are brand new because the last set of cables had some corrosion. I figured that would be the problem but the issue is still present with a new set of GM battery cables.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

***UPDATE***
SO when I got home today the car was working again. 12 volts at the post....drove it around my neighborhood for about 20 minutes with no issues. Leave it and go grab some dinner with the wife and when I got back home it wasn't working again. Here is the progress I have made so far.

I do have 12 volts getting to the post but when the cable is attached to the post the current has a break somewhere and that is why I was getting a low voltage reading when I used the closest ground. When I check straight from the battery to the cable end that goes over the post I have my 12 volts. So tomorrow I guess I will be following the wires in the fuse box assembly to see whats going on. I've thought about changing all of my relays because its acting like one would act when wearing out. I have swapped them around but with my luck they could all be bad.

Is there anywhere in the circuit I should check? Where is the main ground for the fuse block?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Does that cable feel hot or warm to the touch? If that cable were dropping 11.4 it would be so hot I'm sure it would melt the insulation and be very hot ... not to mention what it would do to the battery.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Platinum WS6
Is there anywhere in the circuit I should check? Where is the main ground for the fuse block?
I'm not sure what you are referring to as the main ground for the fuse block. The negative battery cable is attached to the steel body of the car and there are studs welded to the body at various points around the car where you can attach to a ground source. Technically, any metal component of the main body structure should be grounded when checked to bare metal. I suppose you could call the negative terminal of the battery a main ground.

When your checking for voltage, I would connect the black lead of the meter to the negative terminal of the battery and the red lead of the meter to the stud at the fuse block. If your not consistently getting a 12V reading, I would check continuity of the wire between the battery and fuse block while moving it around to check for a loose connection or possibly a broken wire.

Last edited by peterpar; 08-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the schematic, that will help me a lot! The cable from the battery that goes to the post is good so I have to trace from there. This afternoon I am just going to start tracing the current. Funny that the cruise control is a main ground because a few years ago I had to replace it, it was throwing the electronics off then but I forgot those symptoms. I will just unplug it and eliminate that from causing an issue for now. I'll report back later hopefully with some good news.

One last question, where is the BCM? I've read many posts about that going bad and screwing up a lot of systems.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 241 Posts

You aren't just assuming that the cable from battery to fuse box is good because it's new? You've actually tested it? The symptoms you describe (12V at one end of cable, 1 volt at other end of cable) can only be attributed to a bad cable or improper measuring. Nothing beyond the fuse block end of the cable (relays, grounds, etc.) would have any impact at all.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No in my update I addressed that but basically yes I have 12 volts coming through the cable completely I found out last night after testing it against the battery. The issue then becomes when I hook the 12 volts up to the fuse box terminal (bolt) and then check the voltage from there to the ground on the shock terminal or the grounds on the brace in front of the radiator, I get anywhere from 1-6 volts. So basically something is not transferring through the fuse box to the systems.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

I just noticed the schematic I posted above didn't have the fuse block drawings I intended to include. I deleted the link above and added the updated file to this post. If you have 12V power at the stud, you should be able to pull fuses in the blocks one at a time and find 12V to one of two the terminals of the fuse. If not, trace back to stud.

Something else I would suggest is to used the same ground point when checking for voltage. It will eliminate one less variable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000 Battery Cables.pdf (218.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

No in my update I addressed that but basically yes I have 12 volts coming through the cable completely I found out last night after testing it against the battery. The issue then becomes when I hook the 12 volts up to the fuse box terminal (bolt) and then check the voltage from there to the ground on the shock terminal or the grounds on the brace in front of the radiator, I get anywhere from 1-6 volts. So basically something is not transferring through the fuse box to the systems.
It sounds like you're just not grounding the tester to a proper ground

Remove the ground bolts on the radiator support, sand the metal where the wires sit under the bolt, and make sure those tiny terminals get cleaned with sand paper too
Old 08-03-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
It sounds like you're just not grounding the tester to a proper ground
It sure does sound like that.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterpar
I just noticed the schematic I posted above didn't have the fuse block drawings I intended to include. I deleted the link above and added the updated file to this post. If you have 12V power at the stud, you should be able to pull fuses in the blocks one at a time and find 12V to one of two the terminals of the fuse. If not, trace back to stud.

Something else I would suggest is to used the same ground point when checking for voltage. It will eliminate one less variable.
Thanks Peter, I plan on doing just that. A light bulb lit up last night and reminded me to use the common ground so I'm with you on that completely.

Chrysler kid, I did remove those bolts and the one on the shock tower directly above the fuse box assembly to burnish the metal and remove any corrosion/paint that could possibly block the grounding. I appreciate the input though because I didn't think of that until yesterday and I've been trouble shooting for a while now.

Thanks for all the input fella's, I hope I can report back later what it was.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Let me add to this point, I would start checking for voltage using the negative battery post as the ground source for the meter. This is the ground source for all grounding points on the car. If you get a 12v reading doing this, but are still having problems, change the meter ground point to where the negative battery cable attaches to the right wheel well. Not getting the same 12V reading between these two points should be indication of a bad cable or connection. You said you replaced the cables, did that include the negative cable too.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I replaced the positive and negative cables. I started using the negative post at the battery because for some reason when I tried using the ground on the shock tower it was not at 12 volts, it was 6.1 yesterday afternoon.

With my luck the problem won't be there when I get home and I'll have to crank it, drive it..etc to recreate the problem. Its very intermittent.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

***Update***
When I got home the car was fine until I drove it around the block. The gauges started flickering again so I went home, shut the car off and then the problem was back. I turned the light switch and it came back to life. I then decided to unplug the cruise control to eliminate that because in the past it was an issue. After that I drove around the block for a good 20 minutes, back home then on the road for a few miles to return. Not sure if the problem just hasn't reared its ugly head again or not but I have another problem. Every time I crank the car the computer resets now. With the big cam that's a big problem because relearned the cam every time is not going to work obviously. SO what now? What could cause the computer to reset?
Old 08-03-2017, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Every time I crank the car the computer resets now. With the big cam that's a big problem because relearned the cam every time is not going to work obviously. SO what now? What could cause the computer to reset?
If the computer has to relearn itself, I would think that it had to lose its power supply. Whether it lost the 12V supply or the ground I don't know. The fact that you mention the gages start to flicker makes me think it could be a ground issue. I noticed you saying you installed a cam at some point. That would tell me you had the heads off. Ground G110 is locate on the rear of the left head and it provides a ground to the PCM, cruise control and gages, all things that you have listed as effected. Is it possible this ground could be loose?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ground G110.pdf (272.9 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by peterpar; 08-03-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the computer has to relearn itself, I would think that it had to lose its power supply. Whether it lost the 12V supply or the ground I don't know. The fact that you mention the gages start to flicker makes me think it could be a ground issue. I noticed you saying you installed a cam at some point. That would tell me you had the heads off. Ground G110 is locate on the rear of the left head and it provides a ground to the PCM, cruise control and gages, all things that you have listed as effected. Is it possible this ground could be loose?
I reached back and checked those, gave them a good tug in either direction trying to make them move and I couldn't. I rechecked the main grounds on the engine and the frame...same thing all seem secure and bonded. I have an aftermarket stereo system with amplifier so I'm going to check the grounding location I used for that. I don't quite remember where I grounded that but I can hear a pop through the speakers when I first turn the ignition key to start. I've checked the engine bay so much now I want to start looking at other places. More to come.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I replaced the ignition relay today and left the traction control unplugged. Drove it to the gym and back with no issues. I plan on driving it more over the weekend to see if it rears its ugly head again but at least its not shutting down now. I am starting to think the cruise control is the culprit.

Quick Reply: Help with low voltage at Fuse post 2000 Trans Am