General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Try to crank, and lose all power to dash...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try to crank, and lose all power to dash...

When I turn the key to on, all of the dash lights turn on and I hear the fuel pump. But when I turn the key to crank, I hear a thud (starter solenoid?) and everything goes black. The car loses all power (gauges, etc). When I cycle the key to off and back on, the power to the gauges and fuel pump return again, but the clock is reset. This happened a week ago and I was able to start the car on the second attempt, but now it won't start at all (it never turns over).

Does anybody have any ideas on what might be the issue? I pulled the battery and had it checked - over 700CCA so it's fine. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect battery and check cables. Have you looked for burnt starter wiring, possibly grounding out?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deguila
Disconnect battery and check cables. Have you looked for burnt starter wiring, possibly grounding out?
At first glance they looked OK, but I'm going to start digging in further tonight after work.

If I find the problem I'll post an update. Hopefully it's something simple...
Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Update - the plastic holding the stud for the main power terminal on the starter shattered when I tried to remove the terminal so I could bench test it. I sure hope the starter was the issue, otherwise I just needlessly cost myself another $150...

Another update - installed a new starter and she fired right up. Time will tell if the issue is fully resolved (since it was an intermittent problem), but at the moment it's looking like a bad starter was the culprit.

Last edited by 98fireformula; 09-14-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Glad it was that simple.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

my car did the same a while back, turned the key and pump primed then turned to ignition and nothing. I went and got the truck starter cause of the longer stud to prevent the small area of the block from breaking off at all. the starter I got was a reman from advance auto parts and after using their discount code paying online, only costs a bit over $100.

tip, when buying from advance auto parts, pay online and use the online discount code and pick up at your nearby store :-) saved me a lot of money on parts doing it that way.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Teching In

@Deguila
Me too!

Originally Posted by fst100
my car did the same a while back, turned the key and pump primed then turned to ignition and nothing. I went and got the truck starter cause of the longer stud to prevent the small area of the block from breaking off at all. the starter I got was a reman from advance auto parts and after using their discount code paying online, only costs a bit over $100.

tip, when buying from advance auto parts, pay online and use the online discount code and pick up at your nearby store :-) saved me a lot of money on parts doing it that way.
I was reading a bit about the truck starter and almost went that route, but I was concerned I'd choose the wrong version (I think some had a different number of teeth on the pinion? 5.3 vs 6.0 or something) so I went for the sure thing.

Good call on buying online! I did the same thing at Advance. Bought it online and used the 15% off promo code that always pops up, and then googled and found another random xx% off code. Ended up being able to stack them so I got $50 off. With the $14 core credit, I think I walked away paying $129 TOTAL (incl. tax) after I picked it up in store for the starter which had a $178 list price. Plus with SpeedPerks you get a $20 off $50 coupon from it too for a future purchase. Not too shabby.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you could always search on this forum to find the correct year and model truck starter. there was a thread that someone posted a comparison picture too for clarity.

Quick Reply: Try to crank, and lose all power to dash...