General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pump failing after only 15,000 miles!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump failing after only 15,000 miles!?

Hi. I have a 2002 Trans Am WS6. Car has about 133,500 miles on it as of right now. I was driving 2 days ago, doing about 60 and the car seemed absolutely fine; with the exception of the check engine light that's been on for the past 3 months. I just recently had to replace an O2 sensor that was bringing up a code, and then once that was solved another code appeared; one which I am unable to recall at the moment. About 3 weeks ago, the P0300 code for a misfire appeared but then disappeared the very next day after it was found. Anyway, after about 7 minutes of driving, I felt a powerful jerk like motion; so much that I actually thought I ran over something. The car began to lose power, ability to accelerate and power steering. The TCS OFF light came on along with service vehicle, and check gauges. The check engine light is still on at this point. All the gauges began to rapidly drop!!! Needless to say, I immediately pulled over on the side of the road. My antifreeze and engine oil were low but my next oil change is not until another 1,500 miles. So I topped it off with about a 1 1/2 qt.of engine oil just to get it within the proper range and replenished the coolant. Now the car still has power when I turn it on but when I crank it, the engine turns over but will not start. I tried to scan it and I've been getting a link error, which has never happened before until now. When I turn the car on, I can no longer hear the fuel pump. However, I just replaced the fuel pump last year at about a little over 118,000 miles. I'm not sure if it is simply the fuel pump relay or if it is indeed the actual pump. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

check fuel pressure with a gauge. a replaced pump 2 years ago does not mean that pump is immune to fail in 2 years

….and ignoring CEL's for months is really not a good idea...to say the least about low oil levels because you were not yet at a "mileage change" interval....fluids need to be added when they become lower than spec regardless of mileage

check fuel pressure to rule that in/out as cause and if good move on to ignition
Old 06-21-2018, 01:03 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

What brand of fuel pump did you replace the original with? I used a cheapie on my son's V6 car and it lasted about that long. Lesson learned. In a stockish car, use only Delphi/AC Delco. We have used these on several cars with good long-term results.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RevGTO
What brand of fuel pump did you replace the original with? I used a cheapie on my son's V6 car and it lasted about that long. Lesson learned. In a stockish car, use only Delphi/AC Delco. We have used these on several cars with good long-term results.
I actually used a Delphi fuel pump in my car; which I had finally decided to go with after doing a bit of research.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stock pump went at 197k. Spent money for good Delphi pump and new filter. Worked great for a month or two then car would randomly stall...but start right back up. Replaced filter and was good another month. Then it started happening on highway and not restarting. No codes. I looked at alot of things cause I knew pump was new.

Finally put cheap gauge on fuel rail. When it happened again I got out (cause I had to from a stall) and looked at gauge 0psi . Warrantied pump and replaced. All good. It happens
Old 06-22-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't chronically run your fuel tank low on fuel. Not saying anybody here did that but these pumps need fuel for cooling of the electric pump motor.

Rick
Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Delphi I would consider a good brand and would buy one if I had to get a new "stock" pump today...but like anything else relatively new parts fail

Ironically this is the 2nd or 3rd thread I have read recently with people having Delphi pumps fail after a few years....

confirm your wiring "to" the pump is good. Not only visually but meter it to see if you correct volts
Old 06-22-2018, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

***** has a good point. Mine came with a new harness that had to be wired in. I thought perhaps I fucked up a crimp but wiring is my thing. Still ended up being pump. But not hard to miss something on the nes harness wiring
Old 06-30-2018, 08:21 PM
Teching In

OK so I put in a brand new pump and still the same result, turning over but not starting. Tried switching out the fuel pump relay, abut that didn't work either. I have yet to check the voltage with a meter. Perhaps its the fuel filter that went bad?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

check your battery voltage and if you get the car running check the voltage again to see what the alternator is putting out
Old 07-01-2018, 02:20 AM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a close look at the fuel pump fuse. I replaced my fuel pump with a Racetronix pump, a few months later when stopped for gas it would crank over but not fire back up. The fuse looked good visually and I had power to the fuse box, I checked the fuse with an ohmmeter and found it was open.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be of interest

From Delphi: "Fuel tank contamination is the leading cause of premature fuel pump failure. To reduce risk of contaminating the replacement pump, Delphi recommends cleaning the fuel tank before installing a new pump. Use of fuel tank cleaning kit FC01 is recommended."

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump failing after only 15,000 miles!?