General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Detroit Fender Flange Shield.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Detroit Fender Flange Shield.

A few years ago I had some new tires installed and the guys damaged the front fender flange down low behind the wheels. The flange got crushed a little and that caused the lower fender part to stick out beyond the door. I fixed the flange as best that I could, but I'm certainly not a good body man Then, about 2 years ago, I learned about this special bolt-on block sold by Detroit Speed. So, tonight I finally installed them.

If your Fender Flanges are still good, then I strongly recommend that you install these blocks now. Do it before the fender flanges get damaged by someone lifting your car who doesn't know how fragile this area is. It's a real pain to have to deal with bent flanges.

The following users liked this post:
wssix99 (03-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

It's a neat idea but at this point most of the tabs on these cars are horribly bent.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
It's a neat idea but at this point most of the tabs on these cars are horribly bent.
It can always get worse. I heated the metal tabs up, pounded them flat, and put those DSE flange shields on. Of course once the fender has cracked at the tab it's as bad as it gets.
JohnR (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 08:00 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

This is now in the stickies. Thanks for posting. I wish I had this from the beginning. One bad tire change and I was toast....
Old 03-04-2024, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

whats crazy is gm had something like these in the lt1 era cars , i have them on my 99 now and they are a lift point/fender saver , plastic and they work great . These looks much cooler and are stronger
Old 03-04-2024, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
whats crazy is gm had something like these in the lt1 era cars , i have them on my 99 now and they are a lift point/fender saver , plastic and they work great . These looks much cooler and are stronger
They are stronger, but are still not jack points. They are air gapped a bit from anything solid, and it's a more of a forehead slap measure, that should have some idiot tag on it saying "do not jack here". They are designed to prevent crushing from lift arms that are placed in the correct lift points.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,684 Likes on 1,206 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
It wasn't just the LT1 era cars. GM kept using these through most of the 1998 model year (my 3/23/98 car came stock with them) - I think by May or June of '98 they may have been depleted. My understanding is that they were originally intended to protect the fuel lines, which have a bit different configuration on the LT1 era cars. But they served the added benefit of also protecting the fender flange to some degree. GM apparently kept using them until the supply was exhausted, even though their original purpose was non-existent with the new LS1 routing.

As mentioned above, the metal ones are stronger but are still not a jacking point.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
it's a more of a forehead slap measure, that should have some idiot tag on it saying "do not jack here".
I had the same thought, but my next thought was any attempt to make these stand out with color, writing, etc. would just make the dillweed "mechanics" think that they are proper jack points.

When I fixed my fenders, I was almost motivated to paint the actual jack points orange but had several lifts at that point and a conviction to never let a "mechanic" touch the car ever again.

bleepster (03-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Detroit Fender Flange Shield.