General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cruise control malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005 | 08:00 PM
Launching!

Default cruise control malfunctioning

i have a wierd problem with my cruise control. when i turn it on and set the speed the cruise doesnt kick in right away... it will wait for the car to slow down a little and then kick on. also sporatically the cruise wont hold a steady speed. it will gradually slow down. the cruise is working somewhat because the pedal is pushed down a little. im completly stumped. when it is working proplerly and i go over a big enough bump, like an expansion joint on a bridge, it will start slowing down a little. my thoughts are that i have a loose connection somewhere but i dont even know where to start looking. any available help will be greatly appreciated. thanks for reading.

Robby

edit: mods, if this should be moved into the electronics section feel free to do so.

Last edited by scifone; 03-29-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2005 | 04:48 PM
Launching!

can anybody help?
Old 03-30-2005 | 05:21 PM
Launching!

I can't offer any help, but I can say that mine does pretty much the exact same thing. Doesn't hold speed on hills, it will during turns though. (It does say in the manual that it won't hold speed on hills, and that you'll have to push on the pedal some to keep speed up). Mine also has the same delay when you first try to turn it on.

I have to idea what the problem could be though, sorry.
Old 03-30-2005 | 09:38 PM
Launching!

does it act up when you hit a large enough bump? mine will be holding speed just fine and then i hit a bump and it starts decelerating.
Old 03-31-2005 | 10:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by scifone
does it act up when you hit a large enough bump? mine will be holding speed just fine and then i hit a bump and it starts decelerating.

I've never noticed it doing that, although, I can't really remember going any hard bumps with it on.
Old 03-31-2005 | 02:10 PM
Launching!

i see... does anyone know where the cruise control 'brain' is so i can try to hunt loose wires?
Old 04-01-2005 | 05:05 AM
11 Second Club

actually if i remember correctly , its supposed to cutoff the if it feels an impact or jarring... (i mean if you nodded off behind the wheel and drifted off the road, would you really want the cruise control to keep you going 60 mph .)
i think its a safty feature. but dont quote me
Old 04-01-2005 | 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

I remember having this problem years ago, but for the life of me I don't recall what the solution was (or even if I fixed it). Traffic is rarely thin enough for me to use cruise control anywhere.

Sometimes the cruise control wouldn't activate, sometimes it would just up and shut off prematurely, usually when a bit of load was added either by my foot or it's attempt to maintain speed on an incline. I did ponder replaceing the cruise stalk, but declined to do so when I was given the price.

Maybe check your cruise switch on your clutch pedal to see if it's fully depressed when the clutch is out. Sorry I can't think of anything else at thsi time
Old 04-01-2005 | 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

mine just doesn't work...who knows why...haha..
Old 04-02-2005 | 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Mine does the same exact thing. Although, mine works on hills now. Only thing I did was move the cable back to the right position. When it was doing all of this, the cable was bouncing around and it was not being held down by that plastic clamp on the AC lines.
Old 04-02-2005 | 10:48 AM
Launching!

keenov are you talking about the throttle cable?
Old 04-02-2005 | 04:31 PM
That's what she said...

easy thing to check would be to adjust the switches under the dash. my clutch pedal switch (by the top of the stroke) wasnt adjusted right after a master cylinder removal. this doesnt sound to be your problem however, if it was switch related, it would just work or not work. you can try and get a new module from a parted out car or somthing (for sale section ) and see how it goes.

does your car have TCS?
Old 04-02-2005 | 06:38 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

summary of common cruise control problems: http://www.misterfixit.com/cruise1.htm

On a barely-related note, while looking around I also found this about the guy who invented cruise control, pretty interesting http://inventors.about.com/library/i...isecontrol.htm
Old 04-02-2005 | 07:46 PM
Launching!

yes my car has traction control. thanks for the links acw.
Old 04-03-2005 | 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

mine does the same thing, i usually have to accelerate to about 5 mph faster than i want to go, hit the cruise control, take my foot off the pedal and wait. it'll decelerate about 5 mph and then kick in. I never had any problems with it not holding speed though.

I imagine i probably screwed mine up when i got my car tuned (it worked perfectly before this). i wanted a sensitive downshift so they turned the % of throttle needed to downshift down a prettty good amount. when i hit the "accel" button on the cruise control, my car drops two gears and takes off hardcore....

since then it's been delaying the cruise control engagement....
Old 04-04-2005 | 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

keenov are you talking about the throttle cable?

Yes, I was.
Old 04-04-2005 | 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

My brothers 2000 M6 does the same thing. It holds on hills though, as does mine.
Old 09-06-2005 | 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Solution

I know this is a really old thread, but in case anyone stubles across this I found the answer to at least one problem.

The cables that the cruise control use have adjustments midway. They are little "couplers" that let you adjust the slack out of the cable (I guess). I had the symptom of the cruise control not holding while going up steep hill, and the problem was that the "snap" came loose on the adjuster which let the slack go in and out on the adjustment as I was driving.

Pushed in the snap and the cruise now holds going up hill.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 09-06-2005 | 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Problem #2 Resolved.

The second problem listed in this thread is now solved.

I know this is an old thread. Just wanted to answer the questions for others seeking help.

First symptom: after changing spark plugs, the cruise control would not hold while climbing a hill. It would work on level road but any load or hill and the speed would trickle way down. It was sloppy and unpredictable.

Answer: While moving around my throttle/ASR/Cruisecontrol cables during a spark plug change, one of the snaps in the cable's adjuster worked loose. Snapped it back in. No more slop.

Symtom #2: Once I snapped it back in, my cruise control would work but would settle down around 5mph lower than what I set it at. I was working fine if I drove 5mph above my intended cruise speed, and let it settle down to it's number 5mph less, and it would hold hills and everything. Both symptoms appeared after a plug change (that's what tipped me off with the cable adjusters).

Answer: When I snapped the adjuster, I didn't take the slack out of the cable, and I guess the cruise control only gives slight throttle pull unless it goes 5mph under (eaten by slack), then kicks in bigger pulls (taking out the slack in the cable) once it goes more than 5 below. Something like that. So, I unsnapped the adjuster, pulled the jackets away from each other taking up all the cable slack (in the cruise control cable) and re-snapped it. Cruise control now nails exactly whatever speed I hit it at.

Note that if you are having this problem, you should also check your throttle cable and make sure that it's snapped and tight, and make sure your TB is hitting both bump stops on Pedal Up/WOT.

I feel bad for the few people I read about here who took apart their entire Cruise Control systems looking for the problem when it was probably this simple. The symptom of 5mph less that I saw posted a few times is clearly this cable adjuster problem.
Old 10-05-2005 | 11:04 PM
Launching!

some good solutions... i will check those soon and report back