General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whirring Sound at Right Rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whirring Sound at Right Rear

Hi, I've had my 2001 WS6 A4 now for about a month and it drives great, looks great, sounds pretty good, no leaks, had it checked over by a great mechanic, etc.

I do have this one sound though I've noticed every day now and it sounds like it's coming from my right rear, like maybe the right rear wheel area. It's kinda like a whirring noise that I usually only hear when I'm slowing down, not necessarily when braking though, it happens if I just let off the gas and start getting down to slow speeds like 15mph or so. It's not extremely loud, probably nothing you could hear outside, but it's noticable inside. Any ideas what it may be? I was thinking rotor, wheel bearings...?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Teching In

i have the same thing on my 98 trans am if i am reverseing or going slow
Old 07-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Interesting. I doubt it's anything major, but I would like to know what it is so I could fix it if needed. Speaking of reversing, I get this short sound when reversing, happens about 2 seconds after I start reversing then goes right away. I noticed the same thing in my 97 Firebird too, not sure what that is either. Sounds like it's coming from underneath center of the car.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Are you used to driving cars of this size (you said you had this one a month)? It's not uncommon to notice the sound from the differential where in larger cars and trucks it is not as noticeable. Either way you may want to check you fluid level just to be sure.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe check your axle bearings
Old 07-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 007fl
Are you used to driving cars of this size (you said you had this one a month)? It's not uncommon to notice the sound from the differential where in larger cars and trucks it is not as noticeable. Either way you may want to check you fluid level just to be sure.
Well before this I had a 97 Firebird for a year or so, and before that a 94 Camaro, so ya I'm pretty used to the way it drives and handles and know that fbody cars have their share of noises. I did notice that noise that maybe you are referring to as the differential in the center in my 97 Firebird too when reversing or just starting out from park.

The whirring sound on the other hand, not sure about that one. It's kinda like a gurgling sound rather then whirring sound I suppose.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you taken the tire off to look at it yet? I would check the caliper and make sure there aren't any rocks it there. If that checks out pull the rotor an make sure everything is ok in in there. You might want to check the other side too. Sometimes the noise can travel from one side to the other. If that looks good put it back together. Put it on a hoist or jack up the back of the car and have someone listen to one side then the other. Useally a mechanics stethoscope works great for this, but a piece of wood of just listening to it may work too. A wiring sound is an axle bearing most often.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

I have some warranty on the drivetrain and engine left on it from the dealer. Could I just take it there and have them check it over and fix whatever ya think?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Axle Bearing

I agree with the others. I just had the same thing happen to my 99' Trans Am. The bearings were shot.