General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

synthetic oil change, and oil change light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil change, and oil change light???

i bought a 02 z28 a few months ago and for my first oil change i used mobil 1 synthetic oil, I'm almost at 3000 miles and wondering if i should change it already or wait? i heard that you can wait till about 5000 miles but the thing is since around 1500 miles after my oil change, my change oil light has been on but turns off after a couple of minutes. has anyone else had this problem?
new camaro owner looking for help, thank you
Old 07-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Staging Lane

i will let someone else answer your question about the oil. but i use the german castrol and i wouldnt worry about going past 3k, how far past is up to you though. and that oil change light will continue to come on until you reset it. turn your key 2 clicks, and hold your trip on the odometer until the oil change light turns off. sorry if my advice/instructions are confusing. its late and im barely awake!
Old 07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are find to run 5k on mobil 1....

your change oil light is a SET thing, it comes on every 3k miles(or so) every time weather you need a change or not... if you changed your oil already just reset the light and carry on...
Old 07-22-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

i really appreciate the advice, i'll wait till 5K to change the oil, and just keep using this mobil 1 full synthetic, and also thanks for the oil change light.
Attached Thumbnails synthetic oil change, and oil change light?-img06ae.jpg  
Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

The light can be turned off by turning the ignition key without starting the engine (to accessory) and thendepress the trip odometer, keep it depressed until the oil change light goes out. Then it will stay off until 7,500 miles which is what i think GM had the car set at for oil changes.

*Edit:

Well since i am at work and LS1Tech is known for giving accurate information I went and grabbed my owners manual.

"you have a computer that let's you know when to change your engine oil. his is not based on mileage, but on engine revolutions and engine operating temperature. When the computer has calculated that the oil needs changing, the GM Oil Life System will indicate that a change is necessary. The mileage between oil and filter changes will vary depending on how you drive your vehicle -- usually between 3,000 miles and 10,000 miles since your last oil and filter change. Under severe conditions, the system may come on before 3,000 miles. Never drive your vehicle more than 10,000 miles or 12 months (whichever occurs first) without an oil change.

The system will not detect dust in oil. So, if you drive in a dusty area, be sure to change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles or sooner. Remember to reset the OIL CHANGE light whenever the oil is changed.

*How to reset the OIL CHANGE light:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine turned off.

2. Push the TRIP/OIL RESET button located on the instrument panel for 12 seconds. The OIL CHANGE light will start to flash to confirm that the system is reset. The reset is complete when the OIL CHANGE light goes out.

BTW I have a 2001 Trans Am WS6 and do not know if this is the same for all 4th Gen F-Bodies from 98+.

Last edited by ActionJack; 07-22-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

so while i can change my oil after 5K miles on full synthetic, do i have to change my oil filter sooner than that? or can i wait till the 5K?
also, what type of oil filters do you guys use?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always a good idea to replace the oil filter when changing your oil. In regards to the type of oil filter - I've been using the stock oil filter from GM. I haven't had any problems using it with Mobil 1 synthetic. However I heard that the K&N Brand is descent, and currently looking into using it on my next oil change.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

thank you, any other suggestions/comments?
Old 07-23-2005, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K&N HP2006, it's the longer one for more capacity, and it flows well for high rpm operation. I use it and 6 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40, but I am thinking about hunting down some of that German Castrol 0w30 that is suppose to be the best. If I can find it I will be using it from then on. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the GM oil life system... our Camaros are setup for dyno oil... the Vette's system is setup for synthetic. Just an FYI.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NavySS
With the GM oil life system... our Camaros are setup for dyno oil... the Vette's system is setup for synthetic. Just an FYI.
how is that? what is the difference?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well... you can go 2-3 times longer on (good) synthetic oil compared to conventional. All Vettes from the LT1 years and up came from the factory with Mobil 1. So when GM implemented their oil life in the Vette, they setup the calculations for synthetic. The F-bodies came with conventional. Thus GM setup the system for conventional oil for the F-bodies.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NavySS
Well... you can go 2-3 times longer on (good) synthetic oil compared to conventional. All Vettes from the LT1 years and up came from the factory with Mobil 1. So when GM implemented their oil life in the Vette, they setup the calculations for synthetic. The F-bodies came with conventional. Thus GM setup the system for conventional oil for the F-bodies.
oh, i thought you meant the engine was set up for it. that is what didn't make sense to me!

Quick Reply: synthetic oil change, and oil change light?