General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't turn over sometimes, revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't turn over sometimes, revisited

I've posted a bit about this before, but I've learned some since. Not enough though because it still has the problem.
The following are the symptoms:
1. (sometimes) Turn key to start position, car doesn't turn over. I've noticed security light and sometimes ses light are on while key is turned. But, securyity light is also on when it does turn over, so now I think that doesn't matter.
2. Just ran a cheap code reader, and it comes up with no codes. Ironically, it's not turning over right now, and I still get no codes, wierd.
3. The starter seems to be good and strong when it works, no clicking, and the battery is fine.
4. When the car doesn't turn over, I pop start it (roll car in gear, pop clutch) and it starts right up. If I immediately shut it off then immediately key start it, it cranks/starts every time at that point.

Anyway, everything I think it may be, I think of reasons why it's not that in my mind.

Not starter because it works to well when it works(dumb sounding reason, somebody help me with that one)
Not key switch because conditions change(the switch switched) when I put the key to start, it just doesn't crank it.
Not VATS maybe because VATS shuts off fuel, and when I roll start it, it keeps running.

I have to get back to work. I'll try to elaborate more later. Any help now or later is MUCH APPRECIATED!!! I'm getting tired of looking for sloped parking spots everywhere. Plus the other day in traffic I actually stalled it, that was scary for a second until I was lucky enough that it felt like turning over...
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think my keyswitch logic is flawed now that I think of it.
Anybody know if instead of the keyswitch, I should buy a used steering column with keyswitch and key for less money? Any problems with that? I think I would need the right key number though, saw it on ebay. Does that make sense, that should work if the keyswitch is the problem right?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

Is it like this...push in clutch, turn key and nothing? If that's what you have then check out the clutch switch (I just made that name up) under the dash. It might be sticking a little bit. Mine has done something similar to this but nowhere near as bad. Mine would just have a little pause and then start.

Please note: I'm spit-balling here.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Just a complete shot in the dark....but check the PCM connector bolt. One of the local guys here was having similar problems with his car starting. When he tightened down that bolt, problem solved. From what he said, apparently the bolt being loose was causing the connector to rock back and forth (which I'm guessing caused it to not have a good connection all the time.)
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a loose wire or bad ground. I would check your battery cables to make sure they are clean and tight. I would check the wires on the starter and going to the starter to make sure one is not burned or pinched. Check your grounds.

The clutch switch is a good idea too.

You don't need a whole collum. It will probably cost more with shipping then it would for a new switch.
Also, If it was a ignition switch, the ignition switch is not the same as the key switch(lock cylinder).

I would check the cables and connections first, then check out the clutch switch.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

A local guy with a 2000 SS had an intermittent start problem. It was first thought to be VATS but it still occurred after disabling VATS. It turned out to be a loose wire near the ignition relay. Get the car running, then open the hood and tap on the black fuse boxes under the hood. If it's the same problem, one of those will cause the car to stumble and you've found your problem. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whatever the problem is, roll starting the car fixes it. I can shut it right off after roll starting it, and it will crank right back up with the key every time. So running it fixes the problem somehow...I'd have a hard time believing it's the vibration from running wiggling the clutch switch but I'll check it out. Good idea. I gotta figure this out, I really don't want to give it to the dealer to start throwing money at until they guess right.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
Whatever the problem is, roll starting the car fixes it. I can shut it right off after roll starting it, and it will crank right back up with the key every time. So running it fixes the problem somehow...I'd have a hard time believing it's the vibration from running wiggling the clutch switch but I'll check it out. Good idea. I gotta figure this out, I really don't want to give it to the dealer to start throwing money at until they guess right.
Check starter and ignition relay. They are in the fuse box under the hood, they are the same so try swapping them out at first.
Good luck, its something simple dont think too far ahead of yourself.