General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

91 rs camaro has been running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:26 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone pretty knowledgeable about 3rd gens?

my 91 rs camaro (v6 50K)has been running hot, around 250 on just a short drive. it hasnt been that hot, and at night when its cool it is still running a lot hotter than usual. I checked all the fluids, filled the coolant up more and replaced the t-stat which seemed to be shot but it hasn't helped. Is there something else common that goes on these cars (like the heater core)??
thanks in advance

-steph
Old 08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my 92 305 I had something similar. I did the same fixes you tried, didnt help. It ended up being a crack in the radiator and the cooling switch was screwed up. I replaced the radiator and stat and waterpump and then had to run my a/c all the time to keep my fans goin
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

If it's the stock radiator, I don't know if you want to spend the money, but Be Cool Radiators sells a complete car specific system for third gens, electric fans, radiator, etc. Your would be lighter(making it faster), cooler (Making it faster), and more reliable. I would also look into replacing the water pumo if that hasn't been done in the past 40,000 miles.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Looking at your other car I doubt you'd want to spend the money, just a suggestion.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 PM
CT Hotness

haha. well the car just went over 50K today. I have a list of additional things that people suggested. Ever since i bought my WS6, thats where all my money goes. I dont race the 91 at all, its slow
Old 08-26-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

My 92RS 305 TBI ran hot. It got it to act reasonable eventually.

Clean the radiator fins. I used engine cleaner and sprayed it out with water from the back side. I had to pick out rocks that didn't get sprayed out, and straightened some fins.

Flushed and refilled. Tried Redline Water Wetter and it helped.

Make sure your fan switch works. It's easy enough to replace and doesn't cost very much. Also, make sure your fan(s) are working properly.

And, finally, ensure your air dam is still there and solidly mounted.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

You can buy a sensor that lowers the point when the fans kick on. And make sure they are coming on. Also check the plastic skirt in the front underneath . Not the ground effect but the black plastic skirt below the radiator support, is it still there and undamaged? If not, you will see higher temperatures.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Check and make sure the air dam under the nose is still there too. With out that black plastic flap under there, the air will not be pushed through the radiator and will just keep on passing under the car. I had an 86 tpi 305 that this happened to be the problem.

Quick Reply: 91 rs camaro has been running hot