General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

low rough idle, no power, running on 4 cylinders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default low rough idle, no power, running on 4 cylinders?

yesterday i went to pick up my dad from getting a flat tire fixed, as i take the car out of 6th to cruise in and stop the idle goes down to 500 and idles real rough. i pull in and park and listen to the car, and it sounds like its only running half of the cylinders it should be. there are no ses lights, i checked my oil level and it is fine. the car will start after a little struggle from the starter, and doesnt make any knocking but i can hear ticking

i left it at firestone to have them look at it, the mech calls me up today and says its something internal and that he didnt want to open the motor up. (i bitched at him and told him my mother could tell me that and that im not paying the $80 charge)

does anyone have some insight as to what could be the problem?

my car has a lunati cam in it along with full bolt ons
Old 09-19-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought, but I know that one time I installed the plugs, and they werent connected to the wires all the way on one side and the car started but only after a struggle. It only sounded really funny, and shook pretty bad. Only left it on for about 2-3 seconds tho. Check all your electrical connections first, and rule them out. Then just check stuff that you can see that might have been damaged.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Regular

I would also check all your plug wires. If you rev the engine, does the miss go away? While your checking your wires, try to take a good look at the distributor as well.
If everything checks out ok there, there are many different possibilities including getting a bad tank of gas.

Check:
throttle cable, air intake system, EGR valve (might be stuck), coil, battery/alternator.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

I would also check all your plug wires. If you rev the engine, does the miss go away? While your checking your wires, try to take a good look at the distributor as well.
If everything checks out ok there, there are many different possibilities including getting a bad tank of gas.

Check:
throttle cable, air intake system, EGR valve (might be stuck), coil, battery/alternator.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Launching!

what distributor? it has coil packs if his car is the car in the picture
Old 09-21-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry,
I'm used to the old days.. I'm still driving my '95
Old 09-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Have you had the car tuned? Did they do a good job on part throttle?

Reason I ask is this: I've noticed on multiple cars with cams, around 1700-2100 rpm (interstate cruising), 20 percent throttle, knock is very prevalent. I wouldn't expect every tuner to address the full operating range of a car, so this is probably more common than people realize.

Anyway, once your computer detects enough knock, it will kick itself into "low octane" mode. If those parameters haven't been altered along with the rest of tuning, the car will behave as if it were untuned and retarded. I can only imagine that could lead to a rough idle...
Old 10-05-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

well i still havent diagnosed the problem. the car idles very rough for about a minute, then it will even out and idle fine, but still make a ticking noise from the engine bay. when i give it gas the tick sounds less prevalent, but i do have a catless exhaust so it could just be the motor noise drowning out the tick. also when i star tthe car i smell alot of gas. i havent gotten any codes pulled from the pcm because im afraid to drive it to autozone, but it does flash a check engine light once the idle evens out

i checked the connections on the coil packs and on the plugs and they all feel and look fine

the car does have a custom tune on it, but its never had any problems at all before this happened
Old 10-05-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flashing SES= misfires. Have you done any high RPM playing prior to this happening, miss a shift latetly?, Might want to pop the valve covers off and check for a bent pushrod.
It also could be a lifter that's not getting enough oil to pump up until the oil gets a little warmer.
Could be something as simple as a cracked porcelain on a plug, take it Autozone and get it scanned, it'll help alot in figuring out what the problem is (at least allow us to eliminate some things)
Old 10-05-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check and make sure the coolant temp sensor didn't unplug or the sensor it self went bad. My vette dumped one one time and it was running so rich the engine was flooding and the noise in the motor was gasoline trying to hydrolock the motor. "But" I had alot of black smoke coming out the exhaust as well. A fuel pressure regulator can throw ya for a loop as well...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:08 AM
TECH Addict

hmm i dont have any smoke except for a white puff when i first start the car. i have considered it to be a broken pushrod but the car started idling poorly after i took it out of 6th gear at about 1200rpms. the last time i had a mis shift prior to breaking was about 2 weeks previous but didnt notice any problems with the car after it
Old 10-21-2005, 11:25 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
hmm i dont have any smoke except for a white puff when i first start the car. i have considered it to be a broken pushrod but the car started idling poorly after i took it out of 6th gear at about 1200rpms. the last time i had a mis shift prior to breaking was about 2 weeks previous but didnt notice any problems with the car after it
You get a diagnosis on it yet? Or have you fixed it?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd go through the easy fix list 1st, Lid temp sensor, Maf, IAC, Plugs/Plug wires, ECT. I think the EGR problem would throwen a code but im no expert there. Go to Autozone and have them check the code history. When my ECT went out (like Cam75) my SES didnt come on for along time but when it did come on it only stayed for about one drive (10 min to work) after that it went off. my ECT was broken and giving iregular signals throwing my PCM for a Loop. Rough Idle, rough or hard starts, missing at part throttle but WOT was fine.

Quick Reply: low rough idle, no power, running on 4 cylinders?