General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone had problems with NGK Iridium plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone had problems w/NGK Iridium plugs?

So, here's my situation; I changed the plugs and wires on my car to some NGK TR-IX Iridium's gapped at .035 (that are 1 heat range colder) and some Magnecor wires. The car ran great for about a week and then it developed and interesting miss last Friday. It's a constant miss, on 1 or 2 cylinders it seems, and it doesn't happen when you first start the car when the engine is cold and/or it's been sitting for a while. It's definitely associated with load too. In 1st and 2nd you can get it to go away if you hold part throttle at higher RPM, but once you get on the gas it starts missing. In 3rd and higher gears it's always present. I checked the plugs and wires and nothing seems wrong. Nothing is crossed, plugs are all tight, boots are all tight.

I'm running an MSD Digital 6 with an MSD Blaster coil. Do you think it's possible that I'm getting too much spark voltage and the burn time is much too short?

I dunno what to think really except that maybe I ruined a plug or two already. I've got a set of new factory wires and some new NGK TR6 plugs (one heat range colder, .035 gap) lying around, should I take my chances and spend 3 hours swapping them in?

I'm just frustrated because the car ran like an effin champ before I did this job in preparation for running N20 and now it doesn't.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Well, I take it I'm the first to run these plugs and/or have a problem with them?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Veteran

The problem is they are too expensive. Most people agree copper is the best. They're cheap and a spark is a spark. Running nitrous, you're going to be swapping plugs a lot anyways. It's possible that a plug is bad, but I would also double check your voltages on vital engine management sensors like O2s, TPS, and MAP.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Launching!

I have the iridiums on my Ta gapped at .050 ,I have NGK coppers on the z ,the ta idles and accelerates a lot smoother but that could be a bunch of factors though. Although the irridiums did smooth out the ta's idle when I put them in
Old 10-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Teching In

I have the iridiums in my car for all most a year and had no problems. I have msd 6al, msd coil and gapped at .040.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dhdenney
The problem is they are too expensive. Most people agree copper is the best.
exactly what i was going to say I recommend NGK or Autolite. Iridiums are a marketing ploy and a complete waste of money.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:05 AM
TECH Regular

You might want to have the MSD coil tested. Including myself, I know alot of people have had alot of problems with them. Many have had perfectly fine experiences, but alot have had big problems.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:22 AM
TECH Veteran

I had a Blaster go out after less than 10K miles. That's part of the reason I wound up with a Delteq system.

Quick Reply: Anyone had problems with NGK Iridium plugs?