General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Amsoil oil pre charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amsoil oil pre charger

Has anyone used this, or something similar? Do you think it's worth the money? I think it would greatly help and prolong engine life.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where did you find info on it?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only info that I've found was at the Amsoil website. It seems that not much people have theese.
oil precharger
Old 10-27-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry! Its here
oil precharger
Old 10-27-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I use pre-oilers in my cars. Not Amsoil brand, but, a pre-oiler just the same. They are excellent at all but eliminating cold start engine wear & ensure that oil pressure is maintained in the event of a short term oil pressure loss. To use properly, one must wait 10 or more seconds after turning the key one click (power on, no engine start) before starting the engine. This will power the pre-oiler & allow time for the pre-oiler to send oil into the system & build pressure. Also, make sure that the pre-oiler is completely discharged when doing an oil change.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wich one do you use? Amsoil claims to have the most reliable and smallest one on the market. Are they hard to install because I am seriously considering investing in one.
I want to keep my baby as healty as possible 'cause I aint never ganna sell her!!!
Old 10-28-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Amsoil looks like a good product. Wouldn't pay too much attention to marketing phrases about size, no moving parts...etc.. Important thing about a pre-oiler is that you understand how it works & when it's working. Looks like the unit I use is about the same size 1 qt.. This is about the smallest we can get away with & actually a 2 or 3 qt. unit would be better, but, won't fit. Mine are Autoenginelube pre-oilers. They're simple, inexpensive, & can verify/check pressure with a tire gauge.

Installation: On the LS1, mine was easier to install than yours will be because your oil sending unit is burried back in the tunnel. My engine is positioned where it's accessable. There is an option to install an adapter above the oil filter as the termination point. Don't know why, just never felt that this was a good alternate to the galley @ the sending unit. Speak with the manufacturer & see what they say about using an adapter to terminate the oil accumulator.
Good-luck
Old 10-30-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I think I'm going with the Amsoil AMK-02 due to it bieng all contained in such a small unit and rugged construction. Now the next step is start for it.
Also, how do you dischare yours for oil changes?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cumbias
Thanks. I think I'm going with the Amsoil AMK-02 due to it bieng all contained in such a small unit and rugged construction. Now the next step is start for it.
Also, how do you dischare yours for oil changes?

Turn key to on without starting the engine for say 30 seconds then turn off.
I even disconnect the power lead on the pre-oiler after discharge to ensure that nothing can come out of it. Don't start the motor again until the oil has been changed & filled. Once the engine has been started & circulates the new oil, then I reconnect the power lead & fill the pre-oiler. Make sure to add the amount of oil used to refill the pre-oiler after it has been filled.

Manufacturer claims that starting the engine after an oil change against the pressure from the pre-oiler is bad for the oil pump. I guess there is a slight air gap on the intake side of the pump even if the oil filter is filled with oil when installed. There would be an even greater amount of air initially entering the pump for those whom don't fill the filter with oil when changing the oil. I think that the empty filter scenario is the one that the manufacturers are protecting against. Either way, it is best to discharge the pre-oiler & keep it that way until new oil has been circulated through the engine.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks

Quick Reply: Amsoil oil pre charger