General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Winter Storage

for those of you who park your cars over winter, what stpes do you take in order to ready the car ??

i am going to be doing an oil change, trans fluid change, and a diff fluid change this saturday. so what about the battery ?? i have read about trickle chargers, does anyone have any specific info on them ??

the car may be driven during the winter months, around my area, in the development, just to start it up and such, but it will go right back in the garage and right back under the cover,

better to leave it be or start it up ?? what about moisture inside the vehicle, a friend of mine has a bucket with a top for such a situation.

what about gas addiditve ??
Old 11-10-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will definitely need gas additive. It will keep your fuel from freezing in case there is any water inside. You may want to run it with the additive for a couple of minutes also to make sure it gets inside the fuel lines.

Fluid changes would be good but I would also get the tranny flushed. All the buildup that gets inside the tranny becomes extremely hard to remove after winter freezes. Get it out before it gets too cold and too hard to get out later.

Every other day I would check the inside for moisture and maybe even start it up to keep the fluids from setting too long, especially the oil. After a month of not starting the engine, ALL oil is in the pan and none is sticking to engine parts. This will cause some minor scaring in the metal. Nothing to worry about but may hurt the longevity of the engine at 100k+ miles.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

I have had mixed results with trickle chargers. So far on my T/A and all my lawn equipment, they have worked great. However, on my son's 4-wheeler, it killed the battery. I put the four wheeler on a high current charger and ran it for a while. I've had it off the trickle for a few months and it starts fine every time. I haven't figured that one out...
Old 11-10-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info guys, i work at a dealer and the guy who works on my car said it would be a good idea to start it up here and there

i would not leave it sit for too long without starting it
Old 11-10-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would probably rev it a few times each time you start it just to make sure the alternator keeps the battery charged since the battery will naturally drain itself slowly.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

I've been doing this for two years while overseas.

Yep, dry gas.

For moisture control, buy a bottle of dessicant (10 lbs or so) and place it in a bucket in the back seat - when it turns white, warm it in your oven (wife permitting) to drive off the moisture and use it again. Type "blue dessicant" into Google images and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Just disconnect the battery - remember or disable your radio code first, though. Start it once a month, warm it up fully, take it up to 3500 just to smile.

I put mine on blocks and double wrapped the tires in Hefty supersacks to minimize oxidation, but I'm doing a longer term thing here. It might be overkill for one season, but if you keep them on, move the car when you start it and don't let them sit on the same patch for 3 months.

Cover it for dust control.

That's about it.

BobP
Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info !!!!

i might get those tire / wheel "dollies" that have the wheels on them

not wife permitting ( not yet at least ) mom permitting,

the radio, thing is a good idea, better talk to my chevy division tomorrow and get the code,
Old 11-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Staging Lane

battery charger --> Battery Tender. Won't kill your battery.
wash the car. drive it to the gas station - add Stabil , fill tank.
Mines parked in a garage for the winter then... an thats when I work on it. When I'm not working on it, I cover it with a cover , can't remember the brand.

Mine might get heads/cam, clutch,rear end this winter. Look Out!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like your sig mrbobo and when i usually store my vehicles i put them on jackstands so that it doesnt put stress on the suspension for a long period of time
Old 11-16-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Add some fuel stablizer, put it on jack stands (only an inch or so off the ground). and start it once a week or once every 2 weeks and you should be good (Don't forget to cover it )