General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

The TA's home for the next year, sad day. (Putting car into storage)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The TA's home for the next year, sad day. (Putting car into storage)

Whelp, I took her out for one more spin. I never thought I could ever enjoy a car so much but I had to put the TA up for storage tonight. I leave for Iraq in a week.

Here's what I did

1. Wash
2. Vacuum
3. Aerospace 303 on leather and vinyl
3. Filled up tank with Sta-bil
4. Put car on jackstands and removed the wheels
5. Disconnected battery
6. Sealed off the throttle body and exhaust tips
7. Covered

Anyone else got any ideas on what else to do before I leave? The garage is attached to the house and it doesn't get anywhere near as cold in there as it does out side. The wife will not be starting the car when I'm gone.

The only thing better than coming back to a car you really like is coming back to a car waiting to have the **** modded out of it.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something I read that sounded good was to tape plastic baggies over the rotors and I think I will get some of those silica packs out of shoe boxes and thow them in the bag. Seal the bag and the rotors shouldn't rust.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:51 PM
Banned

Putting new rotors on first thing when I come back.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Shampoo carpet
Old 11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I would put the battery on a trickle charger. Other than that, looks like your baby will be ready for you when you get back. Just gotta say, best of luck to you over there. I have the utmost respect for you guys. The whole world will be better off if we can straighten that place out. Forget all the political BS, you guys are doing the right thing. We'll pray for you and your teams' safe return!
Old 11-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jkichline
I would put the battery on a trickle charger. Other than that, looks like your baby will be ready for you when you get back. Just gotta say, best of luck to you over there. I have the utmost respect for you guys. The whole world will be better off if we can straighten that place out. Forget all the political BS, you guys are doing the right thing. We'll pray for you and your teams' safe return!
Thanks for the support, the battery is brand new so I'm really not too worried about it. Shampooing the carpet is out of the question too since I got it up off the ground now. Just wondering if there's any little things I'm forgetting.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Well...
If you get the chance, I would still put it on a trickle charger. Your battery probably cost about $50. A trickle charger is less than $20 and it'll keep your battery in like new condition. After a year of no charging, I'd be willing to bet that it would die. All my stuff usually dies after the winter if I forget to hook them up.
If you don't feel like doing it, its not the end of the world...
Old 11-22-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw an episode of my classic car where they Showed how to do this. they did just about everything you did except they put some bakingsoda in a couple of bowls and placed them on the carpet infront of the seats. I guess is soaks up moisture?

Good luck over there, my cousin is in Balad
Old 11-23-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I read in another thread about people throwing dryer sheets inside their car helps as well! I'm sure it smells good too!

Best of luck to you!
Old 11-23-2005, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would put some jackstands under the front suspension control arms, and the rear end. I don't think it's a good idea to leave a suspension unloaded like that for so long. Also, set mouse traps in the car, and around it!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Banned

Why not a good idea to leave suspension unloaded? It's not really unloaded, it's suspended by the shocks.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Why not a good idea to leave suspension unloaded? It's not really unloaded, it's suspended by the shocks.

i know, it's just an urban myth i'm sure, but i've always heard if you plan on leaving it on stands for a while, that it's more prone to premature failure on the shocks when you get them back. Like i said prolly just myth, but, i'd prolly do it just for safety sake.....certainly cant hurt, ya know?
Old 11-24-2005, 09:54 PM
Teching In

sounds like you hit all the key ones Where are you going in Iraq? I got back from Ali Air Base back in March of this year.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

When I left I kept my car on jackstands 8 months later it was all good no worries. +1 for mouse traps those bastards screwed my DD up and they **** and **** in the car its so damned disgusting.. Wait till you come back with all that money do your research out there on what parts to get that way you have a plan and don't buy anything that will compliment your setup and goals instead on hindering it.