General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tranny Oil Change at 88k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Oil Change at 88k miles?

Should I have my tranny oil changed? How often do you change the tranny oil?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:01 AM
TECH Regular

I haven't changed mine yet at 151,000 miles. But I think GM recommends that you do it every 100,000.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 AM
On The Tree

If you run it hard I would change it,I believe in the 50k change.I change mine at 35k,but I had put on a tranny cooler and 2qtxtra tranny pan.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol i REALLY need to change that oil, i dont think it's ever been done.

At a 100k miles?.....makes me feel that I'm pushin my luck!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

15K-25K miles regardless of AT or MT.
Same for differential.

For AT, don't forget to change filter.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

I change mine once a year. I put on about 10K miles, but requent the track as often as the weather is good and the car feels strong. I had just changed the fluid, after probably 50-75 passes, this summer, and about 8K miles, and there was a fair amount of metal on the magnet and the fluid was a little dark.

The more the better
Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

do you guys just drain it out put the new filter in or do you have it purged out or whatever they do?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed all my fluids when I bought mine this spring. I plann to change all my fluids each year. It's cheap insurance and I enjoy maintaining my car.

I won't spend the dough to get the tranny completely purged. I'll just do the four quart change. For my auto I suck the fluid out and THEN drop the pan. Much cleaner that way. I'll change the filter as well. Perhaps someday I'll get an aftermarket diff cover and trans pan that have drain plugs...I'll be sittin' in tall cotton then...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i agree with Mr. Incredible, all the fluid changes are fairly inexpensive and are just really good cheap insurance for your car lasting a long time. Why not. Same with spark plug and fuel filter changesl. If you do it yourself, it doesnt cost much at all.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Transmission/Converter Fluid Flush (F-body)

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING

Read and understand the whole procedure before attempting.

You will need at least 14 quarts of ATF for the 4L60E (i.e. 2 extra quarts).

0. Get a 5 gallon bucket and "calibrate" it by marking off and numbering quarts.

1. Replace filter, gasket, pan, fluid, but do not start engine yet; make sure to put in same amount of fluid that was taken out (4-5 quarts).

2. Undo hose clamp on return line, pull hose from hard line, and direct hose into calibrated bucket (use an extension hose/tube to reach bucket).

3. Add 2 quarts via fill tube (using funnel).

4. Start engine, and while observing bucket, allow 2 quarts to come out (into bucket), then immediately turn off engine.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until either at least 8 quarts are in the bucket, or you see new fluid coming out.

WARNING: DO NOT LET THE TRANS RUN LOW/DRY (PAY ATTENTION TO WHICH STEP YOU'RE AT)

6. Reconnect hose and hose clamp to hard line.

7. Start engine, briefly select each gear, check fluid level warm, adjust if necessary (add/remove fluid via fill tube), check for leaks.

This flushes the converter because the converter fluid exits thru the TCC valve into the cooler circuit.
The cooler return line feeds the lube circuit which is critical only if the trans is in gear and under load.

DISCLAIMER:
Some people say that doing this is not good for the gearsets and bearings inside the transmission.
I have not had any problems from this, and various other people have not had any problems either.
BUT please do NOT do this if you're not comfortable with it or not familiar with transmissions in general.

Last edited by joecar; 08-26-2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Simplified
Old 02-25-2006, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, I have no idea why someone would rather buy a new trans than replace fluid and filters every now and then. It's not that big a deal fella's and you're screwing yourself out of money in the long run.

Open your owners manual and follow the instructions. It's terribly simple. Most people daily driving their cars in the cities are in fact under the severe use schedule.

REMEBER: A trans fluid/filter change is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than a trans rebuild. If you follow the maintenance schedule you will have very few problems under normal use.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

BTW: for the original poster. If you have never changed your oil and you're now at 88k miles you might as well just put that money toward the "new transmission fund"
Old 02-27-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
Wow, I have no idea why someone would rather buy a new trans than replace fluid and filters every now and then. It's not that big a deal fella's and you're screwing yourself out of money in the long run.

Open your owners manual and follow the instructions. It's terribly simple. Most people daily driving their cars in the cities are in fact under the severe use schedule.

REMEBER: A trans fluid/filter change is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper than a trans rebuild. If you follow the maintenance schedule you will have very few problems under normal use.
You're absolutely right dude. I have seriously neglected my tranny. I have not excuse good enough. But my excuse is that I never did it before and I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I was in there looking. It looks like the only way to take the fluid out is to pump it from the top. There almost no space to wrench out that bolt. I don't have a pump. I assume you would have to pump it in as well. Anybody have the procedure for a 6-speed? I will get to mine in the spring... I promise!! I'll admit that I've been extremely lucky to not have any problems yet with 152000 miles of use! That's rediculous!

Quick Reply: Tranny Oil Change at 88k miles?