General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bad wreck - crash data?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Help please!!!!!

How deoes the GM black box work. I was involved in an accident and I was wondering if I could use this on my favor to get the insuance to fix my car.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting post.

I don't know where it is personally. Although im sure some people do, as well as know how to read it.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Its located under the center console, don't know how to read it but I'm pretty sure it records the last 5 seconds. before a wreck.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, my incident happened yesterday, me going downhill on a curver when suddenlly the car tailspins. I tried to get the car under control and ended up doing a 180 onto the opposite lane. I almost came to a stop next to the sidewalk when a Silverado come up behind me and whaaaammmm!!!! rearends me. the car was in neutral all through the tailspin and after the hit for about 2min running.
The guy is trying to blame it all on me especially since he was the only one who was able to give a report to the cop, I was taken in to a hospital and didn't have a chance to give my side of the story. Plus, I later found out he has a friend that an insurance lawer for Farmer's Insurance that claims to be a witness even though there were none, that also blames it on me.
Do you guys think the black box will help, what do you guys suggest I should tell my insurance agent to get my car fixed, Its for sure over 5 grand in damage.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:21 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

It's part of the airbag (supplemental inflatable restraint) system, and it might be able to help

Name: Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM)

Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module

The inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) performs the following functions in the SIR system:

Energy Reserve
The SDM maintains 23 Volt Loop Reserve (23 VLR) energy supplies to provide deployment energy for the air bags. Ignition voltage can provide deployment energy if the 23 Volt Loop Reserves malfunction.

Crash Detection
The SDM monitors vehicle velocity changes in order to detect frontal crashes that are severe enough to warrant deployment.

Air Bag Deployment
During a frontal crash of sufficient force, the SDM will cause enough current to flow through the frontal inflator modules to deploy the frontal air bags.

Frontal Crash Recording
The SDM records information regarding the SIR system status during a frontal crash.

Malfunction Detection
The SDM performs diagnostic monitoring of the SIR system electrical components. Upon detection of a circuit malfunction, the SDM will set a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC).

Malfunction Diagnosis
The SDM displays SIR Diagnostic Trouble Codes and system status information through the use of a scan tool.

Driver Notification
The SDM warns the vehicle driver of SIR system malfunctions by controlling the AIR BAG warning lamp in the instrument cluster via Class 2 serial data.

The SDM connects to the SIR wiring harness using the following connector(s):

The 18-way connector provides power, ground, and all the required interfaces for the frontal air bag deployment loops.

The SDM receives power when the ignition switch is in the RUN position.

This is what 'crash data retrieval' companies use to get the data from the SDM (also referred to as Event Data Recorder, EDR), explains how they do it:
http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/cdr/faqs.html
Q: What data can be downloaded from the vehicle's air bag module?

A*: Recorded data depends on vehicle make, model and year. The following data is typical of what is found on a newer GM vehicle.

Vehicle speed (5 seconds before impact)
Engine speed (5 seconds before impact)
Brake status (5 seconds before impact)
Throttle position (5 seconds before impact)
State of driver's seat belt switch (On/Off)
Passenger's air bag enabled or disabled state (On/Off)
SIR Warning Lamp status (On/Off)
Time from vehicle impact to air bag deployment
Ignition cycle count at event time
Ignition cycle count at investigation
Maximum ΔV for non-deployment event
ΔV vs. time for frontal air bag deployment event
Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum ΔV
Time between non-deploy and deploy event (if within 5 seconds)

*Depending on the particular vehicle, all or a subset of this data may be available.

Here are some 'CDR' accident reconstruction people who work in California:
http://www.accidentreconstruction.co...Search&txtZip=
Old 12-16-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so if the air bag didn't go off it keeps recording and overwriting data. My car was running for about 2 min after the impact.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:35 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cumbias
so if the air bag didn't go off it keeps recording and overwriting data. My car was running for about 2 min after the impact.
Yep, looks like it.

Edit: Correction, it may still have saved it!

http://www.abanet.org/genpractice/ne...gblackbox.html
The recorders will trigger when preset physical conditions nearing those sufficient for the airbag to deploy are met—“waking-up” and recording data. Extraction of the data after the event is time sensitive. In general, if an airbag deploys, the unit will permanently write and capture data. Therefore, if that unit is to be replaced when the vehicle is repaired, measures must be taken to collect and preserve the unit and its data. Losing the unit loses the data. Likewise, if the vehicle is involved in an accident in which the airbag is not deployed, the recorder may still trigger during this “non-deployment event.” It will write data from a non-deployment event and retain that data for a limited time period. In some units, that period consists of 250 engine-ignition cycles. Low-impact collisions, therefore, will require early retrieval of the recorder to prohibit loss of the data upon ignition at the 251st start after the collision.

Last edited by ACW; 12-17-2005 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

I dont mean to jack this thread but while its still here......

When at a dead stop and hit from behind at about 60mph, shouldnt the airbags deploy?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:26 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AncientRgn
I dont mean to jack this thread but while its still here......

When at a dead stop and hit from behind at about 60mph, shouldnt the airbags deploy?
Apparently not....
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...s03/page3.html
Air bags are typically designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions, which are comparable to hitting a solid barrier at approximately 8 to 14 miles per hour (mph). Roughly speaking, a 14 mph barrier collision is equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size across the full front of each vehicle at about 28 mph. This is because the parked car absorbs some of the energy of the crash, and is pushed by the striking vehicle. Unlike crash tests into barriers, real-world crashes typically occur at angles, and the crash forces usually are not evenly distributed across the front of the vehicle. Consequently, the relative speed between a striking and struck vehicle required to deploy the air bag in a real-world crash can be much higher than an equivalent barrier crash.
Front air bags are not designed to deploy in side impact, rear impact or rollover crashes.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju...s03/page2.html
The Crash Sensors are located either in the front of the vehicle and/or in the passenger compartment. Vehicles can have one or more crash sensors. The sensors are typically activated by forces generated in significant frontal or near-frontal crashes. Sensors measure deceleration, which is the rate at which the vehicle slows down. Because of this, the vehicle speed at which the sensors activate the air bag varies with the nature of the crash. Air bags are not designed to activate during sudden braking or while driving on rough or uneven pavement. In fact, the maximum deceleration generated in the severest braking is only a small fraction of that necessary to activate the air bag system.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Damn....Thanks
Old 12-18-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The car was sarted at least twice after the inccident. Has the data been lost?
Old 12-18-2005, 12:55 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

The car was sarted at least twice after the inccident. Has the data been lost?
"250 engine-ignition cycles" (or until another accident)
Old 12-18-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so, 250 revolutions?, 250 starts?, sorry for not knowing.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:46 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

so, 250 revolutions?, 250 starts?, sorry for not knowing.
It's okay, I should've clarified more. It's saying 250 starts
Old 12-20-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The insurance guy came by today. He estimated the damages at least $8,500 damage. He said it looks like the car is worth more than this and will be able to be repaired. That stupid truck! How is the F-Body frame designed does anybody have a picture of it. I'm wondering if its bent. I'm seriously going to buy 3-point subframes either from UMI, SLP, or Kenny Brown
Old 12-20-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car's frame was teaked a bit, and they were able to put it on a frame machine and bend it back. Drives like new. Just take it to a good repair guy, and you'll be okay.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How was yours damaged
Old 12-22-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looked under the car, the driver side spring is on its side. looks like the frame is seriously bent. I called the guy who sold me the car, he only especializes in selling 3rd and 4th gen F-Bodies, he told me I would be better off getting another one and that he can find me one in a week, I just have to let him know. What do you guys recomend I should tell the insurance so they can payoff the car. The adjouster says that it depends on the damage, if the damage is over 75% of the car's value its considered a total loss. It looks like the Blue Book is useless here.
What would a 2000 Trans Am with 60,888 miles, 12-disc, Factory Hurst, be worth in Insurance terms? (Farmers Insurance)
Old 12-23-2005, 12:03 AM
Launching!

got any pics???
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Launching!

oh and go to nada.com its what insurance companies use.

Quick Reply: bad wreck - crash data?