General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering leak!!! Mixed with Coolant!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak!!! Mixed with Coolant!!!

So here's my problem....

I've been having to top off my power steering quite frequently recently and have been trying to figure out how i'm losing it. It goes from full to bone dry in about a day and a half. I didn't notice any leaks until recently although its leaking from the passenger side rather than the drivers side where the pump is located. I took a closer look under my hood and its leaking from the top of the coolant reservoir, down onto the frame where the battery sits, then down onto the inside of the front bumper and then down on the ground. I checked my coolant and the dipstick has brown fluid on it, looks just like my power steering fluid. After some reasearch on here, it looks like my power steering cooler broke and its leaking PS fluid into the coolant and overflowing it. does this sound right to all of you? If so, i'm going to be replacing the PS cooler, draining the PS and coolant, and then topping it back off. Does this sound like the proper fix? Also, I'd really like some advice on how to replace the cooler and where to buy a new one. Any advice or direction would be appreciated!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you are on the right track. You can get a new one from the dealer if you want. However, what I did a while ago was get a universal air cooler and mounted it in front of my radiator. Works better than the stock one, and no chance of fluids mixing. My stock cooler one did not work well in the last AutoX I did - the fluid still boiled over!

In the meantime, you can just bypass the stock cooler by joining the two lines going to and from it. That will keep you from loosing so much fluid until you fix it. Just dont do anything crazy driving wise, lol.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

thanks for the suggestion on the temp fix! how would you recommend joining the lines?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

you can just use a double ended barb fitting from home depot. I think the size is 3/8, but don't hold me to it!

OH - ALSO PLUG THE BOTTOM PORTS OF THE STOCK COOLER WITH TWO SCREWS, OR PUT A HOSE BETWEEN THEM. Coolant will come out of them otherwise (because of the break).

Last edited by Grimes; 03-03-2006 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:42 PM
12 Second Club

mine went bad too, unless you road race the car, just take it off and replace with the full length upper hose.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

where in the heck is the power steering cooler? i've been under my car several times trying to find it and figure out how i can fix this problem myself, but i cant find it. as far as just re-routing the hoses to bypass the cooler completely, i cant figure out which hoses are what, which is the return, etc. will the chiltons manual give me more of a description of what is what and what goes where? Also, i'll need to flush the coolant and power steering although i have absolutely no idea how to do this. Will the chiltons manual describe the process? Is all of this going to be extremely difficult and should i take it somewhere instead?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 AM
TECH Addict

the steering cooler is a small aluminum pipe inline with the upper radiator hose (all the coolant from the upper rad hose actually flows through the ps cooler). the 2 hoses from the power steering pump go to the bottom of this pipe.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

what size hose do i need?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry, I dont remember. I want to say 3/8ths but you should just get the size that looks right.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the help. i'm gonna grab a chiltons after work and see if i can get her fixed. just need instruction on the proper way to flush these systems. when i do end up getting the small trans cooler, will it be just fine to extend the hoses with double ended barb fittings in order to reach the new cooler? or should i replace the entire hose from the steering rack to the cooler?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

That's exactly the method I used - just extended them with the barb fittings. you can use the turkey baster method to flush the fluid (just take some out and replace at the resvior), or you can unhook the line that supplies the cooler with fluid and place it in a bucket. Start the engine, and it will pump the old fluid out into the bucket. Just make sure you keep adding fluid to the resvoir.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

what about flushing the coolant? should i just drain completely and refill, or should i go to great measures to make sure ALL of the PS fluid is out?
Old 03-06-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

I'd just drain the radiator, fill with water, start the engine, let it circulate, then drain the radiator again. Repeat a couple times, then fill with coolant. You can bleed the system by keeping the radiator cap off, and having someone rev the engine up and down while keeping the coolant topped off. Coolant will spill out, but just keep adding until the level does not drop. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2006, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Grimes
That's exactly the method I used - just extended them with the barb fittings. you can use the turkey baster method to flush the fluid (just take some out and replace at the resvior), or you can unhook the line that supplies the cooler with fluid and place it in a bucket. Start the engine, and it will pump the old fluid out into the bucket. Just make sure you keep adding fluid to the resvoir.
its not necessary to drain from the return line? i've read some instruction on how do flush the PS system and i've seen this mentioned. just wondered if you wouldn't be getting all of it out if you drained it from the line that supplies the cooler.

also, can i get the hose from a local hardware store? auto parts store? dealer?

Last edited by royalcrown; 03-06-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

sorry, the return line would work better - that way no air is left in the cooler. Home deopt had the barb fittings. I got the hose from a local auto place.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

thanks man! I'll be attempting the project as soon as we get a dry saturday. I'll let you know how it goes. as for the return line...i'm guessing this is it?...

http://para.noid.org/pscooler/return_line.jpg

and does it just pull off of the metal tube and push back on? doesn't look like there's any fastener.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

oh - don't try to take that off - it's a sweged fitting from metal to the hose; not meant to come off! (only comes off at the rack w/ the nut) Those are higher pressure lines by the rack anyway.

You want the low pressure line that comes from the cooler. It is made from lower pressure hose. If you follow your upper radiator hose, you will see the aluminum cooler inline.

There are two small lines that attach under it. One of those lines is the supply, the other is return.

Last edited by Grimes; 03-07-2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

ahhh..i see. so i want to drain from the return line where it attaches to the cooler?

also, how do i know which one coming off of the cooler is the return line? it goes from the cooler to where? Man, i'm difficult aren't i? . You also might check out the flushing procedures i posted in the repair thread. Let me know if the steps sound about right.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

here's a pic where to look

It's just easier if you use the lines to the cooler. (easier access) It's not that important if you get the right one first - if the fluid does not come out, then you have the wrong one.

haha, good luck dude - and questions are good, I don't mind
Attached Thumbnails Power steering leak!!!  Mixed with Coolant!!!-resize-img_3345.jpg  

Last edited by Grimes; 03-07-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

i'm sorry, i should have clarified. i was able to find the power steering cooler. just am unclear as to where i need to drain the fluid from? is it from the return line coming off of the bottom of the cooler? and if so, which one is the return? the one on the driver side of the cooler or the one on the passenger side of the cooler?

Quick Reply: Power steering leak!!! Mixed with Coolant!!!