General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can't regulate air inside of car:

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't regulate air inside of car:

The airflow inside the car only comes out on the passenger side, floor. Nothing comes from the floor vent on the drivers side. Also, when I select air for the dash vents, nothing comes out either. The fan does work well. What is preventing the airflow, and how do I fix it????? Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

I don't have any experience with this but I've heard that this symptom is caused by a vacuum leak in your HVAC control panel as your controls are actuated using vacuum. Sorry I can't offer more insight here.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

So, a vacuum line comes up behind the HVAC control panel in the car? Suppose that means the panel itself has to be removed to look if the line is connected...Does anyone know where the other end of the vacuum line connects to so I can check that also? Thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

It will probably run into some sort of a vacuum reservoir..Unless you have a diagram, the only way to find out is to pull the dash apart and trace the vacuum line... When the car is running, and you move the mode control ****, do you hear a brief hissing sound coming from the dash? If you do, than its possible the mode doors could just be stuck,and there not allowing the change to take place. On most cars, if there is a loss of vacuum, the mode will go into a "fail safe" mode, and the vents will switch to the defrost setting automatically, and stay there. Sorry i cant offer you more help, if i can think of anything else i'll let you know
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a three way vacuum diaphram under the hood near the firewall on the passenger side. Check it, that's what controls the air flow trap doors. I have replaced 3 of them in the last 2.5 years. they're only $7-8 at the dealer.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Would the shape of the diaphram be that of a small plastic cylinder, measuring about 3/4" high, and about 3/4" across? Just want to be sure I am looking at the correct part. Is there a visable means of checking the diaphram to determine if it went bad?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

It looks something like this:

I would say about 1 1/2" by 3/4". Two of my bad ones had visible cracks , the other one did not and must have had internal damage.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

I am looking for the diaphram, but can not find it.....
Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm, it may be a different set up in an LS1, not sure. I'll try to get a picture of where it is in a little while.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

The only thing I found with three vacuum lines coming into it, on the passenger side of the car, was a plastic cylinder the dimensions that I mentioned above. One of the vacuum lines coming from the cylinder enters the firewall near the heater core. The only thing stamped on the cylinder was the letter "P"! If this is the part that needs replaced I have no idea what the part number may be.....
Old 03-08-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

The small plastic cylinder that I mentioned at the beginning of this post was the problem after all. I took it off and went to a dearler to have them check it out. The check valve had failed and I picked up a new one. The cost was around $7.00. Thanks for everyone's input on this.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I'm a bit late with the pictures. Anyway, glad you got it fixed. I took a closer look at the piece and it is about the size you said. Also found the bag it came in. The part number is 14056648 for anyone looking at this thread for the same problem after using the search option (like that ever happens).

Quick Reply: Can't regulate air inside of car: