General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cure for detonation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cure for detonation?

I have a fairly bad detonation problem on my z.. i always run 93 octane gas from good, busy service stations, and i always change my oil before 3000 miles. My car runs great, but it sounds like detonation at WOT. It gets a LOT worse in hot weather. the other day, my friend and i were racing around a bit in town and it was about 95* if not hotter, and it sounded like my car was breaking apart inside it was so loud when i got on it hard in first gear. after the one run, i didnt run it hard anymore, being that it was the loudest i've ever heard detonation in my car. i have ordered MSD 8.5mm wires and NGK TR6 plugs which should be in tomarrow or tuesday, do any of you think this may cure part of it? what else can be done? will a good dyno tune take care of it?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a catch can.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Colder plug or back off some timing...or add more fuel.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'm installing the TR6 plugs, so hopefully that will help it some.

edit: i'm only going to use a "catch can" as a last resort.. i dont want an ugly *** can in my engine bay.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
i'm installing the TR6 plugs, so hopefully that will help it some.

edit: i'm only going to use a "catch can" as a last resort.. i dont want an ugly *** can in my engine bay.
i have a catch can and i think it looks really nice in there. i got it at autozone its for an air compresser filter...works great and easy to drain and looks very professional. i think
Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

can i see a pic?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you absolutly sure its detonation? I thought I had detonation, I had all the tell tale signs (only when hot, in the high RPMs, it sounded like marbles or beebees in a tin jar). It turns out its one of my 02 sensor covers, it was loose (not printed). My friend and I printed it, and now theres no noise at all. I assume that the metal around it exapanded when it was hot, and then would rattle from the engine vibration at high RPMs.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i saw your post from earlier, and i'm about 99% sure it's detonation. but just to make sure, i'll go check that out.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would get someone to scan your car to see whats up.

sounds like u might need a good top end cleaning, also a catch can to keep any oil from going into the intake.

My car wasnt as bad but was pining slightly under wot and under low rpm loads. I believe the top end cleaner from the gm dealer and catch can helped quite a bit.

I will find out when i get back on a dyno / computer being scanned as well.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

I'm thinking I have the same problem. I get a rattley tingey sound at WOT especially when it's hot outside. I can only hear it if the windows are down.

The thing is though... I already have an AMW catch can. I'm running MSD wires with TR55GP plugs gapped at .050.

What is top end cleaner? Like Sea-Foam? I've been using Sea-Foam every oil change and it always blows lots and lots of smoke.

Wassup with my car?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Launching!

How do you print the O2 covers? Mine are loose, I know that for sure. You can sometimes hear them rattling at idle.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Seems a few people on here are having the same problem. Including me. I have yet to change or even look at the spark plugs. I did install a homeade catch can that consisted of a piece from my airbrush compressor. It is designed to remove water vapor from the air so I thought I would give it a try in the PCV system. It is close to 90* today and I am definitely still getting the detonation at WOT. It was the worst I have heard it today because of the heat.

I will check for rattling shields but I really dont think that is what it is. It sounds BAD. Not like something rattling but more like something crackling. It seems the more load the engine is under, and the hotter the weather, the more it makes the noise. It gets really bad in 3rd gear but today it was so bad it even did it in 1st. I am going to take it easy and I really want to get my car scanned ASAP.

I have replaced the fuel filter, changed oil, and always used 93 octane (also tried different gas companies). Plug wires are MSD super conductors. Also, I have no service engine lights.

Someone help us!
Old 06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
Someone help us!
Amen!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Try also changing WHERE you buy your gas...I use to just stop off at the local Diamond Shamrock/Valeo station and I had a pretty good detonation problem..

I tried cleaning my MAF and it didn't help much...I bought my gas at an EXXON and there is no more detonation (93 octane BTW).

All of this in *100+ temps (If you like HEAT,you will LOVE South Texas! ).
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Could it be an exhaust leak? Because my old formula did the same thing and I KNOW it had an exhaust leak because there were 2 manifold bolts missing. Tomorrow I will check the bolts. Just something else to think about.

I get my gas at different places and it still does it. I am going to drive my moms 99 TA and see if hers does it.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:12 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

I am going to drive my moms 99 TA and see if hers does it.
Sounds like you have a cool Mom!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah but she doesnt drive it like it should be driven. Her mods are Borla and whisper lid.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tobynine9
How do you print the O2 covers? Mine are loose, I know that for sure. You can sometimes hear them rattling at idle.
Thats its then, thats your "ping". Mine would also rattle at idle, a metalic sound that would come and go.
All we did was take some needle nose plyers(or a tool similar, sorry im no mechanic) and squeezed the metal down on the 02 sensor.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seems a few people on here are having the same problem. Including me. I have yet to change or even look at the spark plugs. I did install a homeade catch can that consisted of a piece from my airbrush compressor. It is designed to remove water vapor from the air so I thought I would give it a try in the PCV system. It is close to 90* today and I am definitely still getting the detonation at WOT. It was the worst I have heard it today because of the heat.

I will check for rattling shields but I really dont think that is what it is. It sounds BAD. Not like something rattling but more like something crackling. It seems the more load the engine is under, and the hotter the weather, the more it makes the noise. It gets really bad in 3rd gear but today it was so bad it even did it in 1st. I am going to take it easy and I really want to get my car scanned ASAP.

I have replaced the fuel filter, changed oil, and always used 93 octane (also tried different gas companies). Plug wires are MSD super conductors. Also, I have no service engine lights.

Someone help us!

Definetly check for loose exhaust components and heat shields etc. Mine was a very metalic knocking/poping/pinging sound, would also do it in 1st on a hot day, and only under WOT.
Damn cars are friggen weird...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

I checked all things that could rattle. I took a vice grip to the end of all the O2 sensors because they rattled a little and I also took off the spark plug wire heat shields because they were rattling and quite loose on the MSD wires.

Could it be the catalytic convertors breaking apart inside?

Quick Reply: cure for detonation?