General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it last week and it worked exactly as advertised... I don't know my MPG increase because I never kept an eye on it, oops... Taking a 60mile trip back to school I can tell you the needle moved slightly slower though, which is nice.

And after removing the brake booster line for the fluid and hearing it struggle to idle, DAMN I want a cam

-J
Old 11-27-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember after I did this Sea Foam maintenance I was cruising down the hill with all the SMOKE behind me and while I was in 3rd going down the street my car started backfiring repeatedly....It brought a smile to my face though
Old 11-27-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I remember after I did this Sea Foam maintenance I was cruising down the hill with all the SMOKE behind me and while I was in 3rd going down the street my car started backfiring repeatedly....It brought a smile to my face though
I only had one backfire. It was loud as FACK too!

I scared to many people. There are always joggers on my street. Did it once before when one of my spark plug wires worked its way loose.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well did my car, but hardly any smoke. Must have a clean motor is all I can guess.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Great tutorial! I didn't have nearly as much of a smoke show as I would have liked. =]
I put the can in the tank before filling it so it mixed on its own.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I did my car this weekend as well. The write up is great.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

I just did mine today. Thanks for the instructions. However, I did mess up the steps a little bit though. I did the deep creep first then waited 15 minutes then did the vacumm line. I hope that wouldn't hurt anything.

Oh BTW, the last pour didn't stall the engine either.

Last edited by RoadHazard; 12-08-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RoadHazard
I just did mine today. Thanks for the instructions. However, I did mess up the steps a little bit though. I did the deep creep first then waited 15 minutes then did the vacumm line. I hope that wouldn't hurt anything.

Oh BTW, the last pour didn't stall the engine either.
that's fine. you really can't hurt anything by what you did. as for not stalling the engine, you just didn't a big enough gulp. it doesn't hurt anything by not stalling out. it's just better to stall the motor out so the seafoam sits in the cylinders fully for 15-20 minutes. when you don't stall the motor out, the seafoam tends to get sucked out more by the time you run over and turn the key off and you get a lesser cleaning effect.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 PM
CK1
Teching In

had my smoke show today, car is just about to turn 50,000. Seem to smooth out the engine a bit.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 PM
Teching In

hey, i drive an acura integra ls and found this via camaroforums.com after googling for "seafoam tutorial"

anyways, the writeup is excellent and very detailed. i performed this today on my parents chevy venture that is going to receive an oil change tomorrow so all is well with that.

but, my integra still has fairly fresh oil (500 miles or so). so, if i only do steps 1 and 3, and skip 2 (crankcase) for now, would i be able to avoid the oil change?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by alexisthemovie
hey, i drive an acura integra ls and found this via camaroforums.com after googling for "seafoam tutorial"

anyways, the writeup is excellent and very detailed. i performed this today on my parents chevy venture that is going to receive an oil change tomorrow so all is well with that.

but, my integra still has fairly fresh oil (500 miles or so). so, if i only do steps 1 and 3, and skip 2 (crankcase) for now, would i be able to avoid the oil change?
it's on another website? sweet, i'm famous

thanks for the compliments and yea, don't put the seafoam in your oil yet. no use wasting fresh oil. put the oil in the crankcase ~100-250 miles before you want to change the oil. run it for no less than 100 miles, no more than 250 miles.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I just got done sefoaming my new DD a Isuxu Amigo with a billion miles. Needless to say it was fun driving down the beach after I put it in the crankcase. I felt like I was spraying for mosquitos. I wish I would of had a video camera so you guys could see the look on people faces, and the smoke.

Just got done changing the oil as well after 175 miles with the seafoam in it and it was dark as hell. The oil before was in the car for over 5 months. Put some good oil in and it runs 10X better now. The car is a lot less noisy, and has better response.

Best 10 bucks I have spent on any car.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Great write up. I just put half a can into the crankcase. Waiting now to go for a drive and fog for mosquito's.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

I just changed my oil is it ok do to this without putting it in my crankcase or will I not get the full cleaning??
Old 12-23-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadblackz
I just changed my oil is it ok do to this without putting it in my crankcase or will I not get the full cleaning??
You will not get the full cleaning without putting it in the crankcase.

Putting it in the crankcase mixes it with the oil and the detergents are able to break down unwanted build-up of old oil.

Not all the oil comes out of your engine when you change your oil (unless you flush it 2 or 3 times with new oil). So that stays in there and keeps getting used and used and loses its viscosity and sticks to the insides of the block/crank case. This can make the engine have to work harder to spin the crank.

Putting the seafoam in the crankcase helps to clean this out. That is why the oil is really black when you change it after running the sea-foam in it. Think of the blackest oil you've ever seen. Multiply it by 10.

I put the sea-foam in my car with fresh oil (I had extra 5w-30 laying around and wanted to switch to 0w-40). I change the oil 250miles later and it was ALOT darker then when I had changed it a few day earlier after going ~3100 miles on 5w-30.

Refilled with 0w-40 and it felt like a bran new machine.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:51 AM
TECH Resident

I just did the full treatment today. Car idles much smoother, the whole car feels much better and i had plenty o' blue smoke. It felt good. Now I just need to change my oil in another 100 miles...
Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just did my top end today and WOW!!! It feels great. I had a lot of blue smoke going down the road. The pinging is finally gone. Great write up. Now I just gotta wait a little bit to do the oil.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkbird
Just did my top end today and WOW!!! It feels great. I had a lot of blue smoke going down the road. The pinging is finally gone. Great write up. Now I just gotta wait a little bit to do the oil.
I had some scary pinging when I did my treatment for like half an hour afterwards. I honestly thought I'd broken something in the valve train.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had previously used some gm top end cleaner, but the car still didnt feel top notch. Anyway I sea-foamed both of my cars today and everything seemed to go smooth. I have he SES now on my 4th gen most likely a misfire, because thats what happened when I was doing the gm top end treatment a few months ago.

I am going to run both cars for a few days and then change the oil. and later down the road after running the tanks low I will change the fuel filters.

I expected my 3rd gen to blow alot more since I had cleaned the 4th gen already. However the 4th gen smoked at least 3 miles getting on it some and then I finally went through the gears getting all of it out. The thirdgen smoked more when I was putting it in versus when riding it. Either way I am sure it will help both of my cars.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Very nice write up. I was allways wondering what people were talking about, I was just to lazy to look it up. lol. Now I know.

On my older vehicles, meaning prior to Fuel injected, I used ATF. I would hold the throttle open slithly and pour a small stream in it until it started to spit and sputter, and then My buddy or my dad either or. would shut it off and I would let it sit for awhile. and then run the **** out of it. My shop teacher tought me that. and it allways worked like a charm.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car