General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eddielb
I just did my car and her car and both of our cars idle like 500 rpm lower now ! They run soo smooth too ! Mine didn't smoke 1/4 of what her camaro did (v6 3.4 with 150k miles) but damn ! Both our cars are 100% better!
good to hear. now where's that video you promised?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent write-up. Below is my experience on my 2001 WS6 with 32,500 miles:

After pouring seafoam into my brake booster line, and spraying about 1/3 of the deep creep can into my intake manifold, I let it sit for a while (approximately 20 minutes) followed by starting it up. It was definitely harder to start than normal, but start it did. And there was no smoke. None. I blipped the throttle to 1500rpms a few times, and still, there was no smoke. This began to discourage me; I worried that I hadn't allowed enough time inbetween the seafoaming and starting the car. My worry was quickly removed once I began driving - tons of grey smoke began filling the air and I hadn't even touched 3k RPMs. And then.. under WOT.. I left a smoke screen about 2 tenths of a mile. As I started into my rearview mirror at the stripe of fumes I couldn't help but feel guilty since I went WOT right next to some poor people on the sidewalk. Anyway, I continued to drive spiritedly until there no smoke plus a few extra minutes.

End result: I can't believe how much quiter the WS6 is at idle and it feels a bit smoother, also. I can't help but wonder how much HP I reclaimed in that giant stripe of smoke and how much better off the engine is.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I wish I could have videotaped smoke screen of doom for everyone. You'd have to see it to believe it, and I only had 32k miles.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Default seafoam

Hey all. I'm pretty new to the forum and i've only had my car for a couple months now, but sensing that it wasnt previously taken care of as well as it should have been, i'm trying to "restore" it to top condition. After reading this "how to" and then hundreds of posts about how much of a good idea it seemed to be, i bought the seafoam and just gave it a try a couple hours ago. i put a can in the gas tank last night w/ fill up. then this afternoon we did half a can in the oil, half can in the brake booster and about half the can of deep creep in the TB. when starting the car up after adding to the brake booster and allowing the car to warm up to normal operating temp we set off down the road at which point we noticed a "valve tapping" noise (not the piston slap so much of us have come to know) that only lasted for a few seconds but the whole time from about 20-80mph we were casting a smokescreen covering the entire road behind us... i'd say overall we had about a half mile of smoke. i'm noticing a more smooth idle and smooth feel with the car all together. its an 02 trans am w/ 74,000. Thanks for the write up, i'm coming to feel at home on these forums from all the nice people willing to help.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Tech Resident

^^np i'm such a nice guy

seriously though, any questions you have, we're all happy to help. i know i am wherever i can
Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Teching In

I am still getting some ping, I think, and would like to seafoam again with just the deep creep. I am unsure if I used enough deep creep the first time.. maybe 1/3 of the can. Is this a bad idea?
Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RandomOmen
I am still getting some ping, I think, and would like to seafoam again with just the deep creep. I am unsure if I used enough deep creep the first time.. maybe 1/3 of the can. Is this a bad idea?
no. it's fine. you can do the whole treatment again if you want.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RandomOmen
I am still getting some ping.
I finally got rid of ping with the addition of a catch can and seafoaming the intake to rid the inside of it of any remaining oil it was trying to burn which causes the pinging. I also suspect that polluted air/fuel/oil mixture is probably what eventually killed my cat. converters.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Well, I did the full treatment once more. I simply cannot believe the amount of blue-grey smoke that poured out. Once again I left a stripe about .2 miles long at WOT and it kept smoking after that. I got stuck at a stop light and the smoke enveloped everything, and the SES light began to blink at me. The SES went away quickly, and it gunned it some more afterwards to make sure, but that was enough to frighten me a little. I drove it hard until I saw no more smoke - so either I burned out the carbon deposits or the seafoam simply ran out.

I'm really hoping that I got everything this time around.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:33 PM
On The Tree

I have a question. I put 1/2 a can of seafoam in my car, drove it for like 100 miles, changed the oil, and forgot to do put the other part of the can through the vac line. Do I have to change my oil again now? Or will I be fine?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no the vac is a different spot, did you put 1/2 can in your oil or in your gas tank?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eddielb
no the vac is a different spot, did you put 1/2 can in your oil or in your gas tank?
Oil. So i'm good to pour in?
Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can pour in vac line and you dont have to change your oil, i Havent poured into OIL yet because I just changed my oil like 2 weeks ago
Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

I'm so glad that i found this write-up! My 99 T/A has 111k miles on it, and i doubt that this has EVER been done to it! Whenever i get around to it i'll post a video up of my car blacking out the sun.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Wow just did mine last night, didnt have any video other than a shitty 30sec clip from my phone that wasnt worth it. HOLY ****!! Used the full can in the tank. 3/4 in the oil(went overboard) and i was at my buddys shop he had some GM Top Engine cleaner(thats what he called it) that we sucked in through the brake booster line. There was a sooty black pool at first behind the engine that just looked nnnassstttyyy. It looked like I had let off about 10 smoke grenades, drove it around for about an hour and it was good to go. Had one of those "WHAT THE HELL" moments at a stop light. Had just left the dealership and at the first light about a 1/2 mile out and this chick and her sister are like YOUR CAR IS ON FIRE...I said huh, what are you talking about? THE SMOKE, ITS ON FIRE!!! I said oooh that, my flux capacitor went out and it does this from time to time. I got the . Well I thought it was priceless. haha. Thanks for the write up!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm gonna seafoam my t/a tonight....excellent write up
Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

I can't believe it, no smoke at all..I know my 98 is running dirty, Oil is black after 2000 miles..car has been running for 5 min now..will wait 10 more & run the **** out of it.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

holy sheot, just went for a drive..when I took off it looked like I was doing a 10sec burnout..LOL..TONS of smoke..Doesn't smoke anymore..Will run about 100 miles & change the oil. thanks Choco
Old 06-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Teching In

I had the same experience as you, only it lasted much longer than 10 seconds
Old 06-22-2007, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
now that you have a funnel jammed into the brake booster hose, start the car. you'll notice your rpm's are very high, likely around 2000-3000rpms. this is because your brake booster hose being disconnected is causing a massive vacuum leak.

My rpms went really low. It sounded like I had a big drag cam in it. It showed really lean on my wide band. Is this normal? It ran fine after I hooked it back up.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car