General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
Just means your car was probably pretty clean already.
exactly.

a lot of people get disappointed when they don't see a lot of smoke. why? that just means your car was clean and is running good. i know it's cool to see the smoke and all - really cool - but the more smoke you see, the dirtier your engine is. that's not exactly a good thing. no smoke shows a clean, properly operating engine.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you seafoam a boosted car, particularly an STS car? Just asking, cause i dont know if seafoam is bad for the oil feed/return, oil pump, or turbo? also, to put it in the gas tank and such, would this still be possible to drive with a boosted setup?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
exactly.

a lot of people get disappointed when they don't see a lot of smoke. why? that just means your car was clean and is running good. i know it's cool to see the smoke and all - really cool - but the more smoke you see, the dirtier your engine is. that's not exactly a good thing. no smoke shows a clean, properly operating engine.
Well I've also heard that the smoke you're seeing is not the sludge burning off and that it's actually just the seafoam burning off. That sounds realistic to me.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Kalgorn
Well I've also heard that the smoke you're seeing is not the sludge burning off and that it's actually just the seafoam burning off. That sounds realistic to me.
not if you've ever smelled it. it's the nastiest, most noxious thing you'll ever smell come out of your exhaust. afterwards, the exhaust smells as pure as it ever gets. my exhaust smelled like water - a.k.a. nothing for 3 days when i did my old V6. it's not just the seafoam. if that was true, then we wouldn't be seeing these old cars smoke so badly while the newer cars don't smoke that much. no way that statement is correct.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

i kno my car was dirty , i have a vid on this thread if anyone wants to see what 2xxxxx mile engine looks like when it hasnt been clean. choco i have a question would it be a bad thing if i was to put 2 bottles of seafoam to the pcv or is that to much cause i still think my engine is dirty?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by That_guy
choco i have a question would it be a bad thing if i was to put 2 bottles of seafoam to the pcv or is that to much cause i still think my engine is dirty?
2 whole bottles at the same time? i would strongly recommend against that. the directions call for half a bottle. remeber, you're pouring liquid into your motor. you don't want to hydrolock it with 2 whole bottles of this stuff. not saying it would happen, but don't deviate from the instructions.

now, if you want to do 4 treatments, that should be fine. if your motor is dirty, use 2 bottles (4 treatments at half a bottle a treatment) over the course of a week or two. there's nothing wrong with an extra treatment, but don't use quadruple the serving as some kind of shortcut. you may regret it.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're gonna do it that many times, and your motor is really that dirty, you might want to try to unbolt your cats first. That's really the main risk imo. Without the risk of clogging them, you could pretty much do it until there was zero smoke(if that's possible) with minimal risk as long as you kept using the proper amount each time. Only other risk would be to your o2's, but if they're old anyway, they gotta fail some time.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

I used a whole bottle in the PVC line, OPPS. I didnt do any harm i dont think...
Old 05-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 99corvette
I used a whole bottle in the PVC line, OPPS. I didnt do any harm i dont think...
if your car started back up, it didn't do any harm. i'm not saying it's definitely going to harm your car. we just have to remember we are pouring liquid into our motors. pouring in too much of it could cause problems. is half a can going to hurt? no way...but two whole cans? i'd strongly advise against. who knows, i could be completely wrong, but i'm not gonna be the first guy to try it, that's for sure!
Old 05-14-2007, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
if your car started back up, it didn't do any harm. i'm not saying it's definitely going to harm your car. we just have to remember we are pouring liquid into our motors. pouring in too much of it could cause problems. is half a can going to hurt? no way...but two whole cans? i'd strongly advise against. who knows, i could be completely wrong, but i'm not gonna be the first guy to try it, that's for sure!
i agree
Old 05-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Launching!

alright...i popped off the brake booter line and the car just died. i tried it a few times but it just cut out. can someone show me where the pcv line is on my 95?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

straight from shbox.com :
Attached Thumbnails How To Seafoam Your Car-pcv.jpg  
Old 05-19-2007, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I've got a 88 firebird 305 tbi that just hit 200,000 miles. car smokes when you start it but goes away after 5 minutes or so. Just wondering if seafoam would make it stop smoking, or make it smoke more by cleaning out the sludge that may or may not be keeping valve seals and rings from leaking. I don't want to make it any worse than now. Thanks for advice.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Launching!

thanks 69 but, i figured out how to push the seafoam through the booster line. for you guys whos car wants to die when you pull the line, shove your thumb in the funnel to keep it from suckin in too much air. you may have to cut the funnel so you can get your thumb to block it off. the booster line is effing huge, so when you pull the line there is way too much air. when you release your thumb a little, you'll hear your car rev up really high like chocotaco explained in his writeup. hope this helped some of you guys.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well just got back from my "spirited" drive.. Was kind of hard to crank after all sea foam was in it took bout 3 tries to finally get it running. Then once i got on the road it was smoking a lil bit and was sputtering and not wanting to go but then a big puff of smoke came out and then the car started running properly wasn't as much smoke as i was expecting after 109k miles but guess it was pretty clean i guess. Prob bc ive changed the oil a couple times at only 700 miles into the new oil LOL.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Followed the instructions and they worked perfectly...right down to the expected stall when dumping in the last of the bottle into the brake booster. My car has 121k on it but it didn't smoke much. I really didn't expect it to. I've always used injector cleaner on a regular basis and used good quality gas.

I also took the time to dismantle the intake on the throttle body and see if it needed cleaning...nope. Clean as a whistle. The car runs as good as new after these few tricks.

Thanks for the info, Choco. I'm adding this routine to my annual maintenance.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

So i guess the car is running good now?

Originally Posted by bjamick
Well just got back from my "spirited" drive.. Was kind of hard to crank after all sea foam was in it took bout 3 tries to finally get it running. Then once i got on the road it was smoking a lil bit and was sputtering and not wanting to go but then a big puff of smoke came out and then the car started running properly wasn't as much smoke as i was expecting after 109k miles but guess it was pretty clean i guess. Prob bc ive changed the oil a couple times at only 700 miles into the new oil LOL.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99corvette
So i guess the car is running good now?
Ya man got the MS4 in and all, its pretty sick from a low roll, but interstate isn't great with a stall . Guess i need an M6
Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Abaddon
Thanks for the info, Choco.
np! glad you had success
Old 05-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

+1 this is a good writeup about to go do it my self

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car