General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ditch68
keep your face clear of the funnel, as Seafoam tastes like sh*t.

I found that funny.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation

So I sez to myself, "Self, do you want to do this Seafoam thing?"
I ponder for a while considering all the posts, the outcome pros vs. cons, cost and possible real world benefits for my 69k+ mile Z28. I truly believed that there was some exaggerated hype over this product and the smoke screen… c'mon.
So I did it all. In the gas tank, in the crankcase, in the top end and Deep Creep in the intake.
I even let my car sit for 1/2 hour. Started it and let it idle for 15 minutes and no smoke. My engine must be super clean with all that Mobil 1, Lucas & 108 Octane boost. Roll it down my street, make a left onto the main road, coast clear I hit it WOT and, well, I must say, that was the BEST smoke show I have EVER seen, bar none! The two oncoming cars passed me with drop jawed stares as if I blew my motor and literally had to stop because the wall of blue/white smoke was so thick that you could not see the other side of the road! I drove 104 miles and changed the oil (Mobil 1 of course).
Immediate benefits: smoother idle, less ping at 6000+ rpm, quicker starts when warm and a noticeable power increase
I really had my doubts but man, I'm sold.
DO IT!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone with a camcorder in southern NJ want to make a seaform video? I have a 2002 Chevy Van with 112k hard miles my company provides for me and it has been EXTREMLY neglected from the previous user. We can probably blot out the sun.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No kidding, I didn't get a bit of smoke from mine when I did it at around 55,000. not a bit. I don't think this writeup existed then, but I pretty much did it exactly the same because common sense led my down that route. Now that mod fever rules my common sense, I think you should just pull the heads and get them port/polished instead of seafoaming.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crimson
Anyone with a camcorder in southern NJ want to make a seaform video? I have a 2002 Chevy Van with 112k hard miles my company provides for me and it has been EXTREMLY neglected from the previous user. We can probably blot out the sun.
Just type seafoam in on youtube and enjoy
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a short youtube video of what it may be like if your car really needed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAK7iMPZQM

And that was only startup - just think what that must have been like at WOT

Last edited by SparkyJJO; 10-02-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

i just did it but i got scared and didnt use hald a can right when i sucked it a bunch to kill it wow it smoked like hell expecially out of the pass side header i think i have a leak but can hear it let it sit for about thirty started right up smoked a lil bit got on to the main road floored it hit 2nd and it was done. got back home and and very little smoke was coming out of the eaxust put the rest 1/2 can in the fuel i really dont want to do it in e oil becasue with 114k on the clock oil still looks farily clean when changed
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Just did all three parts this past weekend. Had a little smoke show (55k on the clock), was funny 'cause the nieghbors were having a garage sale so they got the smoke show at start up.

Car feels better, idles smother and now the wife wants me to do it to her Tahoe.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:17 AM
On The Tree

Awesome write up. I have been wondering what the deal with that stuff is. Ill have to to that to my car first thing after i get back from Iraq.
Im sitting here thinking how funny itd be to send the wife behind the car to "get something out of the trunk" right before i start it up. lol! Im so mean.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just seafoamed my 02 z28, 62,000 miles

Did the vacumm line,oil,gas tank steps. And the difference is notable!!! gas mileage has improved and the car feels more smoother. My car only smoked for a few minutes so it wasnt that bad.......went 200miles til I changed the oil (german castrol)and like the write up says, it was more black than whoppi goldbergs lips lol

just need to change the fuel filter this weekend, but it works i would recommend it.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

question 33k mileson it going to put it away for the winter at the end of november i usually dont change the oil until i pull it OUT BC I RUN MOBIL 1......would i should i do this now then drive and put it waay and then change the oil as I normally do? and i do start it up and let it run during the winter i just dont drive it but it does sit for more than3 weeks at a time.........thanks.....
Old 10-29-2007, 04:02 PM

I just seafoamed my 2000 Chevy Prizm, 43k miles, yesterday and had good results. I spent a good deal of time researching the procedure and felt very confident after this post (The brake booster pic REALLY helped me). I portioned out half a can and slowly poured it into my booster hose but my car never stalled no matter how fast I poured it. Anyways, it smoked like crazy when I was pouring it in and produced a lot of bluish black smoke that filled up my neigbors yard. It wasn't an extream amount of smoke but it was still enough to impress me.

If there is one bit of advice I feel has been WILDLY overlooked, it is this... tie a shirt around your face to protect yourself from the fumes. When I was giving my parked car some gas (lightly revving it), the wind changed course and blew the smoke in my face. I got a good wiff and my lungs hurt for a couple hours so be careful of that.

Hey, I was wondering if I can use the last half on my car to get any remaining carbon out? Is this a good idea and is it safe or is it overdoing it.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe put the last half in your gas tank when your tank is half empty as a finish up?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Maybe put the last half in your gas tank when your tank is half empty as a finish up?
I thought about that but I already have a bottle of Chevron Techron for that... maybe I'll use it in the crankcase. Would it be dangerous to do the engine treatment again, even if I only left the seafoam in for 5 mins?
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't do it over again. Maybe just hang onto it for next time you do it or next car, or clean out your lawnmower
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I seafoamed my car, and it was a very noticeable difference! I DEFINITELY recommend doing it.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Morningland
I thought about that but I already have a bottle of Chevron Techron for that... maybe I'll use it in the crankcase. Would it be dangerous to do the engine treatment again, even if I only left the seafoam in for 5 mins?
Nah, you should be fine. For extra dirty motors, a second cleaning shouldn't hurt. I just wouldn't make seafoaming your car a habit. No need to do it every thousand miles or anything
Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the info chocotaco369. I have never heard of doing this till recently but didnt have any idea what it really was. Ive owned my car since 85k miles and now has 120k, and i have never seafoamed it and i doubt the previous owner did. either way it is in need of it no doubt. thanks man!!!
Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did my treatment last night, 120k miles, although I did as the can said to be safe, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 through brake booster and 1/3 in gas tank. After the 1/3 went through the brake booser (1/3 already in oil by then) I let the car sit for atleast 10 minutes then idle for some more timen then went out for my 100 mile drive. My 1st WOT was a small cloud of smoke then nothing else. So either my motor was very clean (all of it's like having synthetic?) or I did not use enough. I changed my oil after I got done with the 100 miles and the oil looked normal, maybe a little black but no "sludge" as some insisted on. Car still runs the same as it did before.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did mine finally. Car wanted to stall out without the brake booster line connected, make it fun putting it in. Stalled a few times, one time it stalled then belched a small puff of blue smoke right in my face. When I took it for a drive it just let out a cough-like sound and a fairly large blue cloud appeared behind my car, then that was it.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car