General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had done this before I owned a chevy and it worked pretty good. Then I'm on vacation and me and a buddy are driving around in my car and he floors it. All of a sudden we can both hear the pre det. Long story short when I got home I seafoamed the car and it completely killed the knock. It was horrible before and this stuff works. As far as in the tank treatment, there is nothing that comes close to Marvel Mystery Oil I even use the stuff every third or fourth tank of gas. But this brings me to another point, if you guys want some physical proof!
I remembered this from a year or so ago and logged on to try to find it and here it is. You can see on this toyota what the effects can be of using this stuff.
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...opic=25167&hl=
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haven't read 35 pages worth, just a few...

anyone done it on a cammed car? :o
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

I'm due for a oil change so I would think it be a good idea to do this and wait 100 miles then change my oil.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Launching!

bumping this back to the top of the search(hopefully) as i am about to go seafoam my 98 that just hit 75k miles. one question though, how quick should i go through this tank of gas. a tank usually lasts me a month or more...
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mukyluk
bumping this back to the top of the search(hopefully) as i am about to go seafoam my 98 that just hit 75k miles. one question though, how quick should i go through this tank of gas. a tank usually lasts me a month or more...
I'd try and run through it at a normal pace. I know when you let gas sit for awhile, it gets a little crummy. It may be okay since it's only a month, but now's your excuse to go out and drive your car a lot

I really don't know if there's a downside to taking a month to run through a tank of gas or not.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

i decided to seafoam my car at 69k miles..i was putting headers, y pipe and decided to might as well seafoam the car before i modd it..the seafoam went great..i could tell it really clean out the car...waited a week and yesterday i install headers ,y pipe, also did a full oil change , change spark plus, upgraded to msd wires..i also drove about 170 miles before all this so the seafoam could really get in there..100 is recommend..anyways my car is running great now
Old 12-22-2007, 11:20 PM
Tech Resident

Great to hear
Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

I seafoamed my 1995 Olds 88 today with the 3.8 3800 Series II

My oil came out like brown syrup. I am not sure if there are underlying problems - but I do know when I started her back up after the fresh oil - the operating temperature was down some ( never been a problem to begin with ) and it seemed a lot smoother.

I also added some to my gas tank and filled er up. We'll see how she goes
Old 12-31-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

Choco,
Will disconnecting the negative battery terminal mess up any custom tuning I've had done? I have about 80k on this engine and want to do it. I just don't want to loose my tune.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shouldn't loose the tune, it should be stored in your ECU, but not sure, but i seafoamed mine, and it felt like a whole new car
Old 12-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 1BAD-SS
Choco,
Will disconnecting the negative battery terminal mess up any custom tuning I've had done? I have about 80k on this engine and want to do it. I just don't want to loose my tune.
No. Tunes are burnt into the PCM. They're all flash tunes. Disconnecting the negative terminal will cause you to lose your radio presets and you'll have to reset your clock, but it's not gonna mess up your tune. Like I said, the tune is burnt into the PCM itself.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Roger that. Thanks for the quick reply. As far as getting tickets, I'm one cop wthat would let you ride. Just don't do this in traffic. Most stupid drivers don't need any help.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan to Seafoam my car tomorrow. However, I will not try to stall out the engine by pouring it in. Wouldn't it be risking hydrolocking the motor?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by newton
I plan to Seafoam my car tomorrow. However, I will not try to stall out the engine by pouring it in. Wouldn't it be risking hydrolocking the motor?
You're supposed to stall out the motor. The idea behind doing so is trapping the Seafoam inside the cylinders so it sits in there and cleans things. If you don't stall it out, then not as much Seafoam is going to sit inside the cylinders.

Think of it like soaking your dishes in hot, soapy water beforehand. If you have a pan full of greasy, stuck-on food and immediately try to wash it, you're going to have to scrub and scrub and you won't be able to get the food off. However, if you let it soak for a half an hour in that hot, soapy water, you'll be able to easily wipe that stuck-on food away. Just make sure you use the proper amount of Seafoam. Using half a can will be fine. Using over a full can...not recommended.

It's the same principle with your cylinders. When the Seafoam soaks inside the cylinders, it cleans substantially better.

You're not going to hydrolock anything. It's pure petroleum. There's no water inside it, so you should be fine. It'll just be more difficult to start the car. The first time you try and start it, it probably won't turn over. Don't sit there grinding the starter, just try again. It should fire right up the second or third attempt.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
You're supposed to stall out the motor. The idea behind doing so is trapping the Seafoam inside the cylinders so it sits in there and cleans things. If you don't stall it out, then not as much Seafoam is going to sit inside the cylinders.

Think of it like soaking your dishes in hot, soapy water beforehand. If you have a pan full of greasy, stuck-on food and immediately try to wash it, you're going to have to scrub and scrub and you won't be able to get the food off. However, if you let it soak for a half an hour in that hot, soapy water, you'll be able to easily wipe that stuck-on food away.

It's the same principle with your cylinders. When the Seafoam soaks inside the cylinders, it cleans substantially better.

You're not going to hydrolock anything. It's pure petroleum. There's no water inside it, so you should be fine.
Alright. So just to be cautious and confirm things, I would take half of the can and divide that half into three parts? 2 parts into the line slowly and 3rd part quickly dumped in?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by newton
Alright. So just to be cautious and confirm things, I would take half of the can and divide that half into three parts? 2 parts into the line slowly and 3rd part quickly dumped in?
Exactly I know, it seems scary the first time, but after you do it you'll laugh that you were ever nervous. Once you see and feel the difference in the car, you'll wish you had done it sooner.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I did it today. I poured the last third, but it didn't stall, so I quickly turned it off.

To my surprise, my 160k LS1 barely smoked. The previous owner probably already seafoamed it.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

I did this last week and my car smoked pretty good but i dont think i could feel a difference but i only ran the seafoam for about 80 miles before i changed my oil.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Launching!

I was going to do it... now i'm not. With the possibility of messing up the MAF, cats, TB, plugs, ruin gaskets, SES light on and on... doesn't seam worth it. I'd like to see a before and after on a dyno. Besides a smoke show and some words from a rep, who's got facts to say this works? I'm sure you could dump alot of **** in your car to make it smoke... my SS only has 58k on it but it still doesn't seam worth the risk.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
. My engine must be super clean with all that Mobil 1, Lucas & 108 Octane boost.

I drove 104 miles and changed the oil (Mobil 1 of course).

dude.......mobil 1 SUCKS. its the worst thing you can put in your motor. its way, way too thin for an LS1. switch to GC 0w30, or at least M1 10w40. tust me.....do a search on oils here, and youll see hard proof in oil analysis provided by patman.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car