General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changed my oil and now my rear end is busted...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed my oil and now my rear end is busted...

Yeah, another one of those weird this caused that threads.

I changed my oil today, put in some GC 0w-30. I did everything right as far as I know, but now when I put the car into any gear, my revs drop to 600 and the rear end starts making noise. When it's in Park or Neutral it's at about 900rpm, but put it in gear and it drops, makes a noise in the rear, and doesn't move. Kind of like when your on an incline and let go of the brake and don't give it any gas.

What happened?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,797 Likes on 1,280 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Vicious.
but now when I put the car into any gear, my revs drop to 600 ......When it's in Park or Neutral it's at about 900rpm, but put it in gear and it drops
I don't get what the problem is with that? I can see why you'd be concerned about the new noise and the car not moving, but the rpms are supposed to drop when it goes into gear.

Idle speed is 550 in gear/650 in park for the A4 car. The factory tach is not 100% accurate though, so usually my tach will show more like 650-700 in gear and 750-800 in park. Yours showing a drop on the gage from about 900 to about 600 seems normal enough to me.

As for the noise and the lack of movement, are you sure it's not a trans related issue rather than rear end?

My best advice? Do another oil change and see if it goes away. J/K!!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense, but that sounds like a perfectly normal idle for a A4. In neutral, it should be around 900 rpm, in gear it should be around 650rpm. Now if your rear is making noise, how the hell is that related to engine oil???
Old 08-20-2006, 09:47 PM
Tech Resident

my RPM gauge reads 550 in D and 600 in N. perfectly normal.

as for the rear clunkings, it could be tranny or rear problems. both common for an A4 f-body

or maybe there's no problem at all. every automatic i've ever driven has a slight clunk or bang when shifting from P or N to D. it's just the gears shifting.

whatever it is, it's not your oil. i think you're overreacting. it's likely always done this, but now that you switched to GC 0W-30, you're obsessed with finding noises to see if this oil is all it's cracked up to be. you're concentrating so hard to find noises, normal noises are beginning to sound like problems or you're noticing noises that were always there and you've never paid any attention to. i think it's all in your mind. you're looking for problems that aren't there.

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-20-2006 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, please disregard my post. It was mostly just me freaking out.

After letting the car sit for a while and taking it back out again, my RPMs went back to normal. About 900 in neutral and 750 - 800 in gear. But honestly it was at 600ish the first time I started the engine and took it for a drive. The car would not move on its own when I took my foot off the brake. Apparently just letting it sit was enough to make it all better.

This was the first oil change after buying the car, with an oil that I've only heard things about instead of having used. All I was thinking was "Oh jeebus, what did I do wrong", and that kind of freaked me out. So yes, I was being pretty nitpicky and tried to figure out every little thing that had changed.

I did just get to drive it for an hour and a half, and I am liking the GC very much. My oil pressure was higher than usual, the temp. was slightly lower than usual, and the engine seemed quieter.

So, in short, I'm an obsessive idiot, and I feel really dumb now. But thanks for reading and not reaming me too bad.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Vicious.
So, in short, I'm an obsessive idiot, and I feel really dumb now. But thanks for reading and not reaming me too bad.
no, you just love your car. nothing wrong with that. you could be like my grandfather and think transmission fluid and coolant should never be changed because his ford taurus went 200,000 miles without changing anything but the oil

being paranoid is far better than being cheap or just plain not caring.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

so i'm not the only one who noticed increased oil pressure with gc 0w30? thought i was being paranoid haha
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I might pick up some GC today.... hopefully the autozone carries it :-x
Old 08-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
whatever it is, it's not your oil. i think you're overreacting. it's likely always done this, but now that you switched to GC 0W-30, you're obsessed with finding noises to see if this oil is all it's cracked up to be. you're concentrating so hard to find noises, normal noises are beginning to sound like problems or you're noticing noises that were always there and you've never paid any attention to. i think it's all in your mind. you're looking for problems that aren't there.
The noise was NEVER there before (but I do understand your point)...if it was it would've been noticed because it was so loud, but like he said it's all better now...haha I thought it was something I did to it...I'm the brother by the way if anyone was wondering...